Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

I used to fly 3-4 times a week. This lasted for over 20 years. I have almost 4 million miles under my butt.

CVG is not modern it is old and decrepit. Look around at the buckets catching ceiling leaks. If you want a modern airport, go to DTW

As for the tram. The last few years usually only 1 tram running. Made for a long wait or walk.

I'm sure we all remember wall to wall passengers at the CVG of the past. Today the airport is quiet as a cemetery.

Delta priced CVG out of the market. Most of the time I drove to DAY to fly to CVGto catch the flight I wanted. Saved a Hell of a lot of money for my company but added a lot of wear to my car.

No matter what you think. CVG, and it's passengers, was held hostage by Delta. And, the DL NW merger was the kiss of death to CVG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I will second that, any time I fly into or out if CVG it feels empty. While the lack of a crowd is nice I always leave concerned about how the airport will stay afloat.

Never been a big fan of the multiple concourses requiring taking the tram. Much prefer CMH which is much smaller and walkable everywhere
You wonder how much factor it is for CVG to get high rating because the airport isn't crowded. It also got top award in 5-10 million passenger category which is not much traffic.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Did DL and NW stick all their money into DTW? If it is a modern airport they must have torn it down and rebuilt it in the 10 years since I quit flying regularly. I would have done anything to avoid the crappy joint previously.

The closing of the older terminals at CVG should be a positive. I remember flying out of some of those quonset huts back in the 60s.

Have they torn down the former Comair Terminal D yet? It certainly can go.

Just because the heydey of Delta traffic is gone doesn't mean CVG needs to put its tail between its legs. It is still a fine facility compared to Dayton and even Columbus. It just has to recognize the volume of traffic which will originate out of Cincy and adjust to that. We have a metro population close to that of Indianapolis. So quit trying to inflate it and make it something it is not.

The Comair days fostered by Delta were a blip on the radar. I wouldn't be upset if Delta just plain left town totally. Then we might be able to get some actually competititve airlines in here. But I have a sneaky suspicion there may be some old debts still owed.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:13 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Not to hijack the thread, but seeing a couple of million milers in here I can't help asking (as a local), you got any tips to help me get back my 300k United miles, 200k USAir miles, and 100k DL miles? All 3 firms flushed them down the toilet when I wasnt looking (a couple years ago).

Somehow my Continental miles survived the merger w/UAL. I always liked Continental.

I've since created new accounts on both DL and US to capture recent flights, had to be done quickly, no time to walk the guantlet of a reinstatement process.

While I'm at it, it was unsettling to learn the hotels have the right to flush their points after 1 year of inactivity. I have a boatload on Marriott and Hyatt. To their credit, both let me go several years inactive and kept them. So I revived both of them, but now I'm getting back into the inactivity zone.

Hotel points are worth more to me than air miles. I understand both are being "devalued" in various ways, but not enough to matter to me. Cheap flights are pretty easy to find, but if I need to go somewhere (usually an expensive city) and low on money, those free hotel nights are like gold.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Did DL and NW stick all their money into DTW? If it is a modern airport they must have torn it down and rebuilt it in the 10 years since I quit flying regularly. I would have done anything to avoid the crappy joint previously.

Just because the heydey of Delta traffic is gone doesn't mean CVG needs to put its tail between its legs. It is still a fine facility compared to Dayton and even Columbus. It just has to recognize the volume of traffic which will originate out of Cincy and adjust to that. We have a metro population close to that of Indianapolis. So quit trying to inflate it and make it something it is not.
Northwest built new DTW and MSP terminals and remodeled MEM long before the merger.

CVG and MEM were outdated compared and hit the chopping block.

The real elephant in the room is that DL still owns the gates and thus controls competition.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but seeing a couple of million milers in here I can't help asking (as a local), you got any tips to help me get back my 300k United miles, 200k USAir miles, and 100k DL miles? All 3 firms flushed them down the toilet when I wasnt looking (a couple years ago).

I believe that you need activity every so many years to keep miles

I know of no way to get them back,

You can always call customer service and beg to be reinstated

Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am not concerned with a walkable airport. I sure as he*l don't intend to live there.

I have no problem with the tram. It gets me from where I am to where I need to go.

Compared to Dayton and Columbus, at least CVG gives the impression of a Modern Airport.

And their latest travel figures reinforce that. Noone contends they will regain the volume of the Delta Hub days, but I believe they will do very nicely going forward.
I couldn't care less about aesthetics (modernity). My concern is when I get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport or the shuttle is late from the long-term lot that I don't have to be held hostage waiting for another mode of transportation to get to the terminal containing my scheduled flight. Once you're inside CMH (Columbus) it is less than half a football field walk to the TSA checkpoints for all three terminals. I travel about twice a month for business and have visited dozens of airports in the last few years. CMH may quite possibly be the easiest (aka fastest) to navigate of those I've encountered.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I couldn't care less about aesthetics (modernity). My concern is when I get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport or the shuttle is late from the long-term lot that I don't have to be held hostage waiting for another mode of transportation to get to the terminal containing my scheduled flight. Once you're inside CMH (Columbus) it is less than half a football field walk to the TSA checkpoints for all three terminals. I travel about twice a month for business and have visited dozens of airports in the last few years. CMH may quite possibly be the easiest (aka fastest) to navigate of those I've encountered.
CMH is great. But DAY is also very good and easy to navagate

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post

Somehow my Continental miles survived the merger w/UAL. I always liked Continental.

I've since created new accounts on both DL and US to capture recent flights, had to be done quickly, no time to walk the guantlet of a reinstatement process.

While I'm at it, it was unsettling to learn the hotels have the right to flush their points after 1 year of inactivity. I have a boatload on Marriott and Hyatt. To their credit, both let me go several years inactive and kept them. So I revived both of them, but now I'm getting back into the inactivity zone.

Hotel points are worth more to me than air miles. I understand both are being "devalued" in various ways, but not enough to matter to me. Cheap flights are pretty easy to find, but if I need to go somewhere (usually an expensive city) and low on money, those free hotel nights are like gold.
5th......check your messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati