Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Well, now, who'd have thunk you for a cat person, kjbrill? LOL Your stories are funny, because my cats are particularly vocal about the goldfinches as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I recently got my son a kitten, a gray tabby. This kitten stalks all three of us from various hunting spots around our home.
Pictures. We need pictures.

We had a foster cat when I was in college that would hide in the doorways and attack your ankles as you walked down the hall. My sister named him Kato, after Inspector Clouseau's valet. He eventually found a forever home, and 35 years later my sister still is bummed that we didn't keep him.

I don't know how to link to a single post, but my kitties' pictures are the third post in this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...t-one-two.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
I go to the general forums if I have a reason, like a question. It's not much. There definitely is a different feel. Maybe I need to look more.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, now, who'd have thunk you for a cat person, kjbrill? LOL Your stories are funny, because my cats are particularly vocal about the goldfinches as well.

Pictures. We need pictures.

We had a foster cat when I was in college that would hide in the doorways and attack your ankles as you walked down the hall. My sister named him Kato, after Inspector Clouseau's valet. He eventually found a forever home, and 35 years later my sister still is bummed that we didn't keep him.

I don't know how to link to a single post, but my kitties' pictures are the third post in this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...t-one-two.html
The first cat I referenced was also a SPCA adoption. My youngest daughter had asked for a cat, and I said OK go get one. My wife was amazed since she knew I had grown up around dogs from a young age and all we ever had was dogs. At the time the daughter asked we had two dogs, an older female Blue Muriel Collie and a female Akita. But as soon as I said OK off the daughter was to the SPCA. She comes home with this plain tawny tabby, a scrawny little thing. She said the SPCA people said they believed someone had tried to drown her and her liter in a barrel of oil and her voice box was damaged. She never really could emit a purr. With effort she could bark more like a dog. As I said we had her for 17 years. That is old in any pet's lifetime.

Within a week of having to put her down, we were down to the SPCA to get our current cat. We decided to go for an adult. This one was advertised as a little over a year old, and was de-clawed front but not back. I looked at her and said yes this is the one we want.

As I said she will start about 4:00 AM trying to get me up. What she wants is for me to go downstairs and fill her wet food bowl. If I don't respond to her liking, about 7:00 AM she goes to the wife's side of the bed to annoy her. As the wife says, she doesn't care who she sucks up to, as long as someone gets up and fills her food bowl.

The older you get the more you like your cats. I believe it is due to the fact they are just as independent and irascible as you are.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But I do advise you to discourage attacking the family members out of hiding. Not too sure how to do that, maybe ask the vet.
She is so small now that I am hoping she will outgrow it. Otherwise, a spray bottle will do the trick. Growing up I had one dog, and my sister managed to con my parents into three cats over time. I enjoyed reading what antics your feline is up to. They are fun animals to have around.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Rabbits make good pets.

(Just a note to help the people off topic.)

Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Rabbits make good pets.

(Just a note to help the people off topic.)
Don't be such a buzz-kill.

What would be a thread in the Cincinnati forums that didn't go off topic?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
She is so small now that I am hoping she will outgrow it. Otherwise, a spray bottle will do the trick. Growing up I had one dog, and my sister managed to con my parents into three cats over time. I enjoyed reading what antics your feline is up to. They are fun animals to have around.
I will have to admit I grew more and more to like cats as I grew older. Earlier in life I was strictly a dog person. Now I realize a cat is so much easier to take care of than a dog. Dog's need a lot more exercise and need to be taken out on a regular basis. Keep a cat's litter box in good shape and give it some food, that is about it. As we grow older the cat's desire to just do a lot of sleeping in her bed is fine. When our cat wants affection she comes, jumps into one of our laps, and nudges our hand with her head - OK I am ready pet me.

Our cat likes to get up and about early. If I do not respond when she jumps into bed she will nudge my hands. If no response, she will begin to nibble on my fingers, not bite just nibble. If I still do not respond she will go to the foot of the bed and nibble on my toes, it is like I am awake pay attention to me. Next she will climb up on our headboard where I place my glasses at night and swipe at them with her paws so they tumble down on the bed. This gets a reaction out of me - Zoey get down off of there. They are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

Eventually I will get up and go downstairs to fill her food bowl. It is not like she is starving. We always have a bowl of dry food for her to eat anytime. But in the morning we give her a small can of wet food which she gobbles down as though she has not been fed in months. It is gone in about 15 minutes. But then she is happy and will go to one of her windows to study the critters outside.

We have not had a mouse in the house since we got Zoey. Our prior cat we would get some field nice who came into the house when winter came. She chased them all over the house, but never killed them. She would show up with one in her mouth like what am I supposed to do with this? Ugh, there I was trying to take the mouse and at least put it outside.

Pets like dogs and cats are a comforting influence on our lives. As I said when younger we had dogs as I had a relative who raised a kennel of pure-bred dalmations, the polka dot dog. He always gave us a female. They are very docile and great around kids, with one exception. If anyone threatened either myself or my younger brother they suddenly were confronted with a snarling, I am going to rip you apart animal. Very protective of their family.

Because we have hijacked this forum, someone needs to start a thread along the lines of What do your pets mean in your lives?

Never mind, there is a Pets forum over on the General Forum site, Pets - Cats. Having looked at it, just don't feel it has a lot of people with truely genuine feelings about their cats or any other pet for that matter. Seems like the only thing there are people with some sort of axe to grind, how bad their vet was, etc. I guess I will just have to be content with the fact our cat contributes much to our current life and we very much love her.

Sorry for digressing, but somewhere along the line we need to express what gives us great pleasure.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Hey, wait a sec, I do my part to keep the Cats forum light n' lively.
And out of idle curiosity I've dropped the names of a few of the numerous people who've faded from my everyday existence. On each occasion leads have been sent my way, and in one case I've reopened communications with a "vanished" friend. The "missing persons" forum is particularly useful for those of us who have not set up a Facebook account and have no intention to.
The other topics I mostly avoid. Once in a great while I'll come up with a zinger to toss into the fray - I'll post it and leave the thread alone. Sorta like what I do in this forum now and then.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Never mind, there is a Pets forum over on the General Forum site, Pets - Cats. Having looked at it, just don't feel it has a lot of people with truely genuine feelings about their cats or any other pet for that matter.
Oh, now, that's not true. Sure there are plenty of threads asking for advice about illnesses etc. (handy to know, and I'm happy to share whatever experience I've accumulated), and about problems with vets and occasionally someone will start a thread about how much s/he hates cats, but for the most part the threads are about funny/cute things their cats do, and pictures of them doing those things.

If you wanted to start a thread about how much your cat means to you, I'm sure you'd get plenty of company in no time flat.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
During the week, I'm pretty much exhausted when I drag in from work. I at least try to check the OH forums, since we're mostly well-behaved here. Then I check the Military Life & Issues forum which I co-mod. (My partner is Poncho_NM and I owe him a LOT; he's always on the ball taking care of that forums' duties.) There are a number of other forums I enjoy, but I usually wait until the weekend so I can think clearly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: