Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Tom... I am thinking the OP is acting a little paranoid.

There is nowhere which is totally crime free. I know that and you know that. At the same time, some of the outlying suburbs have a lower level of incidence. But that may come at a higher price on the other end. Sure I may say come out here and your wife will confident she is in a safe neighborhood. But also there is a price to pay, your commute time, the apartment itself will likely be more expensive, and she will need a car of her own to get around. If she does not have a car she will feel like she is in a prison. So give the inner suburbs a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Tom... I am thinking the OP is acting a little paranoid.
Ya, same here. At the end of the day they need to be comfortable with their home's location. Gaslight is a great area, but if they are uncomfortable being in a densely populated, urban area they should not move there. My 2 cents anyway.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 AM

71 posts, read 69,734 times
thanks a lot guys !! I am a little worried after what is written here and elsewhere not to mention that i read also that Cincy crime rate is three times the average of the national crime rate in US .

I think I will have to stick by an apartment in a building or some of the complexes like the preserve etc....

Thing is of course i don't want a prison so therefore I would want to live in an area where she can walk , go shopping and it s safe to do that . I am thinking of Gaslight Clifton alot now . i think i will end up there . and is Westchester really far from UC ? I will get a car that s for sure once i settle down in Cincy but i don't want to do everything by car plus is it safe in complexes or still the same danger like houses ?

I have been to chicago 5 years ago and i heard alot of bad things also about the "Chi Town" but it was a great trip and we were going out at night starting from 12 a m and getting back at 4 and 5 a.m and it was safe and great . I hope that Cincy too will give me the same feeling .

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM

OP, yes West Chester is really far from UC. Not that it is not manageable, but your wife will feel like she is in prison without her own transportation to get around. There is nothing literally walkable in any of West Chester, or Liberty Twp or Mason for that matter.

Wherever you have been getting your crime statistics related to Cincinnati, they are bogus. Yes there are a few sections of the City we would all advise you to avoid. But overall Cincy is not the crime riddled area you portray it to be. I am in my 70s, born and raised here, and I consider it one of the safest cities in the country overall.

If safety is still your primary concern, then my advice is Blue Ash. There are some fairly large apartment complexes close to downtown which have all of the amenities, swimming pool, workout rooms, etc. Blue Ash also has a very nice walkable downtown which your wife could enjoy and not feel like she is in prison. Safe, if you want any more safe you will be in prison. I am not sure of what the apartment rates are there, but I can assure you it is one of the most safe areas in Cincy.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Thank you so much Kjbril . I know that all that unsafety concerns i have will soon vanish once we arrive and find out that it s merely stereotype !

with that being said is their any complexes near UC ? or apartments in a hotel set-up ? or safe buildings like with a pass code ? anything you suggest ?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post
Thank you so much Kjbril . I know that all that unsafety concerns i have will soon vanish once we arrive and find out that it s merely stereotype !

with that being said is their any complexes near UC ? or apartments in a hotel set-up ? or safe buildings like with a pass code ? anything you suggest ?
Quite frankly, at my age I have no idea what exists around UC. I have to believe there are several complexes you could consider, but others with actual knowledge must recommend.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM

like ?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Blue Ash is 10 mins from UC medical school . Is that right or it is considered far like West chester ?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
I would strongly recommend contacting a leader in your fellowship/residency program. With all the incoming newbies every year looking for housing....they should have a list ready to go.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
The sample size is small, but I knew half a dozen or so new residents at UC and Children's when I was in graduate school, and not one of them lived more than five minutes from campus. If you are buying a house I would look around the city more, but if you are renting you really want to be within walking distance of the hospital. There are too many good renting options right near the hospitals to even consider commuting from the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati