Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
She would not test into SCPA. She would audition. And I believe they would have to pay being out of district.

The School for Creative & Performing Arts

The New SCPA
Thenks for your diligence in correcting my posts. Believe me, I probably know better than you do that an audition is a specific type of TEST. I doubt that putting on a performance is the only admission criterium to SCPA, but I could be wrong. Is that how they decided to admit a child the age of yours? Because most of them do not have much performance proficiency at age five.

The point of SCPA's reputation has been made elsewhere on the thread. In the area of performing arts I'm most familiar with, that can open the door a crack toward getting the young person a hearing for a job or higher education application. But they're going to be judged mostly on their merits anyway. The big advantage to choosing SCPA would be the intensive nature of the instruction. For that reason it may be a preferable choice for students who are on a pretty well assured path toward professional performance. It may not be the best choice for others simply because the curriculum does not allow as much time for general studies. It's great to have the option, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
We had several backup options as well. We had one other magnet school in mind, several good performing neighborhood schools, and two private schools for our backup plan. SCPA is not easy to get into due to high demand and only having room for around 1400 students from K-12.
Glad you pointed that out. As well respected as SCPA is, it has limited availability. Anyone needs a backup plan. I am glad your son is going to SCPA, and he is starting young. I am just disappointed that whenever CPS is brought up Walnut Hills HS and SCPA are ballyhooed to death. It is almost like the rest of the district does not exist. We hear about certain other magnet schools, but a German language school no thanks. How did it sneak in there, they needed more points?

My kids all enjoyed good schools and environments. Actually 2 of the 4 ended up with Education Degrees. Not the highest paying jobs in the world, but good benefits.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I probably know better than you do that an audition is a specific type of TEST.
To say test in this case could be misconstrued with an academic admissions test, such as the one given for entrance to Walnut Hills. Thus, I clarified the point, meaning no disrespect or correction to you personally.

Quote:
I doubt that putting on a performance is the only admission criterium to SCPA, but I could be wrong.
Please follow the link I gave, as it has detailed information on all criteria.

Quote:
Is that how they decided to admit a child the age of yours? Because most of them do not have much performance proficiency at age five.
Again, please read the link I gave. It answers all your questions. Auditions start at fourth grade. K-3 have all the same admission requirements,where applicable. We had to do an interview explaining why we thought our son should attend SCPA. And of course there are other points of consideration involved in the interview process. They also consider the parents and whether or not the school feels the parents can be involved with the child to the degree it takes for kids to succeed at SCPA. Frankly, I found it somewhat daunting with a kindergartner. In retrospect, I am thankful for the process. It could be that my child likes the arts but would have no desire to learn them. I feel the interview helped us get clear on that aspect. As it turns out my son absolutely loves the school and all they do.

Quote:
It may not be the best choice for others simply because the curriculum does not allow as much time for general studies.
This is flat out incorrect. The curriculum absolutely stresses general studies and the students performance in these studies. SCPA adds performing arts in addition to general studies, which is why it can be a difficult school for students to keep up. Here is my child's class schedule:

READING K
WRITING K
MATH K
SCIENCE K
SOCIAL STUDIES K
MUSIC K
DANCE K
ART K
VIOLIN

He is enrolled in piano as an extracurricular activity.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am just disappointed that whenever CPS is brought up Walnut Hills HS and SCPA are ballyhooed to death.
I almost hesitate to dignify this with a response, because no doubt you would love nothing more than to turn this into a CPS bashing session, but SCPA is relevant as an option to the OP's desires. Perhaps that does not fit into your agenda for them, but to not discuss it in this context is nearly impossible. Besides, I am a proud parent who has my kid enrolled in SCPA. I think that gives me the inside track that may be profitable to the OP. Otherwise, for their location CPS does not fit in the overall context.

Can we leave it at that? Or must you persist?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I almost hesitate to dignify this with a response, because no doubt you would love nothing more than to turn this into a CPS bashing session, but SCPA is relevant as an option to the OP's desires. Perhaps that does not fit into your agenda for them, but to not discuss it in this context is nearly impossible. Besides, I am a proud parent who has my kid enrolled in SCPA. I think that gives me the inside track that may be profitable to the OP. Otherwise, for their location CPS does not fit in the overall context.

Can we leave it at that? Or must you persist?
No I do not have to persist. And somehow you need to take anything I say concerning SCPA as something personal to you. I am glad you are finding a good environment in SCPA, just as I would be glad for any parent. I am simply stating that for the oveall size of CPS, Walnut Hills and SCPA do not a district define.

If the OP feels they have an extremely gifted child, then SCPA comes into the picture. They are the only ones who can establish that. If it is an interest but not an obsession, then an environment like Sycamore will provide the nourishment for that.

When someone tells me they are going to be working in Symmes Twp. my first reaction is to also live in Symmes Twp., especially if they locate in the portion which is Sycamore Schools. To me a win-win situation. I have stated several times my last 20 years with less than a 1/2 mile commute were my best.

I have no reason to bash CPS other than the fact it seems to be holding Cincinnati back. Is this just my opinion? No, it is what I can gain by many commenets on C-D and other forums. I have no personal insight other than what I read/hear.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have no reason to bash CPS other than the fact it seems to be holding Cincinnati back. Is this just my opinion? No, it is what I can gain by many commenets on C-D and other forums. I have no personal insight other than what I read/hear.
Totally out of context and off topic.

You made your desire for the OP perfectly clear. You are almost rabid in your desires for them to follow what you recommend. Creepy.

Otherwise, I am not taking the bait. The OP can message me with questions on SCPA if they desire, or I will chime in when this thread get's back on track. But I will not take your flame bait. Later

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Totally out of context and off topic.

You made your desire for the OP perfectly clear. You are almost rabid in your desires for them to follow what you recommend. Creepy.

Otherwise, I am not taking the bait. The OP can message me with questions on SCPA if they desire, or I will chime in when this thread get's back on track. But I will not take your flame bait. Later
Sorry guy, you still inflame what you disagree with.

When I suggest someone who will be workiing in Symmes Twp. to also live in Symmes Twp. and enjoy Sycamore Schools, I am advocating against the City?

Maybe some of you better reflect on why the greater percentage of the population in the Metro District is outside of the Cincinnati City Limits rather than inside.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinat View Post
we have two kids (a 6 yr old/first grade and a 14 year old in 9th grade)
For what it's worth:

Quote:
Sibling Priority – Siblings of current SCPA students who meet all the criteria for acceptance and successfully
audition into SCPA will be given first priority over non-sibling students of equivalent academic and artistic ability.
You could conceivably have both kids in SCPA if that works. The first grader would not have to audition until fourth grade. Also, the audition is a one time process. It's not like they would have to audition each year.

Best of luck. You certainly have a lot of options.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Look. I know next to nothing about SCPA kindergarten. Of course they have to stress general studies in the lower grades as well as turn out graduates with a decent general education overall. A world-class ballerina who cannot read and comprehend her employment contract is going to fail even if she's the new incarnation of Suzanne Farrell. But there are only so many hours in a day, and once students reach the higher grades there is no real point to having them in a school as performance intensive as SCPA unless you intend for them to, well, perform. They are better off putting those hours and hours of practice time into
into a more balanced course of studies. In my opinion. Insisting SCPA is the best choice for anyone who can get admitted strikes me as silly. Of course the OP will make her own assessment.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I know next to nothing about SCPA kindergarten.
I think you have demonstrated you don't know as much about SCPA as you would like people to believe. I have provided the OP with all they need to check it out for themselves. What more needs to be said?

I'm not trying to sell them on the idea either. Just giving first hand information and relevant information for their benefit.

My opinion isn't relevant to them and neither is yours.

And a very heavy emphasis is places on academics --- kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati