Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,947 times

Advertisements

Hi all
We are moving to Cincinnati and would like to know:
1. what Elementary schools are recommended. 2 kids, 5 and 2 yrs old. 5 year old will move from a pvt Montessori to a public schools setting.
2 Our 2 year old requires special needs care. Any recommendations and resources that you can point us to?
3. We will be renting initially, any good places to find rentals?
4. We need to stay within 20 mins driving distance to Children's hospital
5. Any other tips?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
not sure about the two year old, but for your older child, CPS has two public montessori elementary schools...north avondale montessori and pleasant ridge montessori. both have good reputations

Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
not sure about the two year old, but for your older child, CPS has two public montessori elementary schools...north avondale montessori and pleasant ridge montessori. both have good reputations
I would agree with Pleasant Ridge montessori, it is highly rated and well within a 20 minute drive of Childrens. Contact CPS concerning whatever special needs your other child has. I would hope the Pleasant Ridge area would also provide this. The type of easy commute you desire to Childrens.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 PM

50 posts, read 82,833 times
OP, will you be working at Children's? They do have an onsite daycare that may be an option, or at least refer to a place that is good for special needs. If nothing else, CCHMC has a concierge service that might be able to help research for you.

I agree, P Ridge is an easy commute to Uptown area. You can either take 71 or if that gets backed up, there are plenty of surface street options.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Great tips, thank you!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 AM

If you will be working at Childrens, I would definitely contact their administration for advice on the needs of your 2 year old. They should be about the best advice you can get. If their inhouse day care can provide what is necessary, that is the way I would go. But also contact CPS on what programs they have in the Pleasant Ridge area. Always cover your bases twice. Pleasant Ridge to Childrens is a great commute. The montessori school there has achieved a fine reputation. I would exhaust the possibilities there before looking elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Thank you! No I won't be working at children's but have contacted them to research some caregiver or other options for childcare. We ended up looking into regular public school system instead of Montessori, let's see how it goes. Thank you all for ur response, looking fwd to meeting more Cincinatians!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 AM

89 posts, read 112,910 times
Ummm. CPS has 4 public Montessori schools. Dater Montessori (West Side), Sands Montessori (East Side), North Avondale (More Central), and Pleasant Ridge (More central/east). All are magnet schools with waiting lists, except for Pleasant Ridge which is a neighborhood school. My daughter attends Dater Montessori, and we couldn't be happier. Great program, great teachers. People that post on these threads should really be better informed about that which they are posting.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM

89 posts, read 112,910 times
BTW, all of the Montessori schools listed have higher scores than Pleasant Ridge. They are definitely getting there, but being a neighborhood school presents them with greater challenges than the magnets in my opinion. If you stand in line for 4 or more days to get your child in a school, then come hell or high water you are going to make sure they succeed in most cases.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymarie30 View Post
BTW, all of the Montessori schools listed have higher scores than Pleasant Ridge. They are definitely getting there, but being a neighborhood school presents them with greater challenges than the magnets in my opinion. If you stand in line for 4 or more days to get your child in a school, then come hell or high water you are going to make sure they succeed in most cases.
I would definitely have to agree with your statement about standing in line for 4 days. BTW, once you get a child in a magnet school, providing their work is acceptable are they assured a place there the next school year or do you have to go through the whole process again? I am just curious how the process works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: