Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times

Advertisements

I don't feel threatened by MPLS, so it doesn't really bother me. Anywhere can build bike lanes and light rail, but good luck building Mt. Adams or OTR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I don't feel threatened by MPLS, so it doesn't really bother me. Anywhere can build bike lanes and light rail, but good luck building Mt. Adams or OTR.
It's kind of a running joke anymore. Keith pops in every once in a while to talk about MSP. It makes me think that he had so much personally invested in moving there that the inevitable disappointment has taken a toll, so now he spends his time trying to convince everyone else how awesome it is.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM

416 posts, read 701,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No one ever said Louisville is bigger than Cincy. I still stand by my statement: Cincy is not a big city compared to Louisville. They are roughly in the same tier of cities. I quoted those same population stats you did. Cincy is clearly bigger; it is just not THAT much bigger. My opinion (and many publications share it) is that Louisville is the most bohemian city in the Ohio Valley. And by the way, Jefferson County, KY has 750k people now. Cincy has bled so much population that the core cities are very similar in size; Cincy has substantially more (and larger) suburbs.

Now, back to the original question. Portland knocks the socks off Cincy in every single regard and is the same size in metro area. I would choose Portland without question given those as a choice. Cincy is a great town though, I just do not like how its walkable areas are so spread out and often times only a couple blocks of walkability, then a sketchy area, then some nice homes, etc. Cincy has a long way to go to reach its grandeur of 80-100 years ago, but it is a great town. I would choose to live in Cincy again over my current sunbelt location in FL.
I'm sorry, I know this is an old post. You're actions seem very trollish in a lot of the pages in this thread. No one even mentioned Louisville and here you came hyping it like no other. To think that Cincinnati and Louisville are in the same league puts a smile on my face. While were at it, Indianapolis is just as urban as Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a tier above Louisville in most categories. If you're going to tell me Louisville is better because it has a large university, last I checked University of Cincinnati was bigger, and brings in an endowment of well over a $1 billion... can't say the same for UofL. Not to mention UC is much better academically over UofL. Oh yeah, Cincinnati also has Xavier.

The only reason Louisville has a population of over 700,000 is because it took up the entire county. Louisville was DECLINING before it even merged. You act like Louisville is so successful. Didn't Lexington do the same thing too? In the meantime, Cincinnati has far more development going on, has a better range of neighborhoods, downtown Cincinnati is far more vibrant and isn't dotted with surface parking lots like Louisville, and Cincinnati has a much better riverfront with miles upon miles of walking and bike trails, with several parks along the way. Cincinnati actually kept up with development the last few years, while Louisville put most developments back on the shelves. Let's see, Fourth Street live versus Fountain Square... again, Cincinnati wins.

Economically:

All of Ohio's cities have lower unemployment rates than Louisville. Cincinnati sits at 7.4% while Louisville sits at 8.4%. And between January and Febuary, Cincinnati gained several thousand more jobs than Louisville did. So not only does it have a lower unemployment rate, it has a faster growing labor market. According to the BEA, Cincinnati's GDP is almost twice that of Louisville. But they're in the same league, right? No. The GDP per capita is higher in Cincinnati, too.

BEA Regional Economic Accounts

Sorry, Cincinnati "knocks the socks" off Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati