Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

I would just like to introduce some of the delicacies enjoyed by the good citizens of Cincinnati some 60 plus years ago. This would be when WWII was just getting over any and everyone hoped the Great Depression was over.

Some of the items I remember.
. Giant Kosher dilled pickes. Some in a large jar, some in a crock. But all great to eat.
. Pickled pigs feet. Don't know how people stood those things, but my family gobbled them down.
. Head Cheese. Another item revolted me but the family devoured.
. Limburger Cheese - Smelled absolutely terrible. But the family would sit around with a slice off the loaf plus a thick slice of onion and a slice of dark rye bread, thought it was delicious.
. A big pot of chicken feet from the butcher shop. No actual chicken, just the feet boiled to death and then some noodles thrown in to make chicken soup?

I do remember my mother making Hasenpfeffer when my dad went hunting for rabbits. They called it stew, I called it pure s**t.

How many of you remember foodstuffs less than to your liking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I remember seeing giant pickles in stores, and maybe they're still being sold. I don't check around the big-box supermarkets that now serve the purpose of the corner grocer.
Pickled pig's feet are considered soul food. I make sure to steer clear of the huge bowl of them that's always part of the New Year's celebration in the home of friends with West Indian roots. Ditto for chitlins. Too bad, 'cause they might actually taste good. (Since I love greens and black-eyed peas my good fortune for a year is guaranteed nonetheless.)
Chicken feet are looked upon as a delicacy by Chinese folks (at least first-generation arrivals.) They're easy to procure at old-school shops in Boston's Chinatown. But somehow I doubt they've made it into the inventory at Jungle Jim's.
Rabbit is delicious, but I've never eaten it in hasenpfeffer though I've heard the term.

Although it's not easy to find these days, mock turtle soup is peculiar to Cincinnati. Since my tastes were dictated in small part by parental preferences I never sampled it either. (My dislike for local chili I developed through trying it plenty of times on my own. Goetta I can take or leave.)

One Cincy delicacy I think we can agree on as being delicious is schnecken! I also enjoy a good Christmas stollen. Both are part of the Queen City diet only because of the German influence, no can find in Beantown, so family visits are always eagerly anticipated for that reason among others.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM

I like to take my Christmas Stollen and dip it into a large cup of let's say robust brewed coffee. When it starts to fall apart the consistency is about right.

For the Christmas dinner itself, my mother always had a mincemeat pie with a hot wine sauce, a dutch apple pie distinguished by the topping plus vaniella ice cream ala mode, plus a pumpkin and pecan pie smothered in whipped cream. After dinner was consumed, we would sit there and just scarf down those pies. I know mom prepared those pie crusts using lard. Maybe not the best for your health but absolutely the lightest and flakiest pie crust ever created by mankind, in her case womankind. The kind of memories which last a lifetime.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM

307 posts, read 543,553 times
The cincinnati food that I would miss most are grippos bbq chips. I don't no why but they are so addicting, amazing and gross all in one.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
The cincinnati food that I would miss most are grippos bbq chips. I don't no why but they are so addicting, amazing and gross all in one.
I like your comment. But compared to historical Cincinnati foods, bbq chips rank right in there with Taco Bell. If it is something which ticks your bell (siq) that is fine. I guess Grippo has some history. If Grippo Potato Chips are a Cincinnati Icon, let us know.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM

307 posts, read 543,553 times
I'd put them in that arena as they've been here since 1919 and are definelty associated with the city. I'd also put it out there that I know people who no longer live here who have grippos shipped to them much like skyline, Montgomery inn sauce, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Chicken feet are looked upon as a delicacy by Chinese folks (at least first-generation arrivals.) They're easy to procure at old-school shops in Boston's Chinatown. But somehow I doubt they've made it into the inventory at Jungle Jim's..
Chicken feet were quite popular among most farm families in the area for chicken noodle soup. Chicken necks and backs provide the true chicken flavor associated with a good soup. The feet provide some thickening and give the soup a good sheen.

As much as people like to talk about MOCK turtle soup, a good use of the cheek meat of calves, REAL turtle soup was as common in a lot of households. When I was in Cleveland, we had a pretty constant source of turtle meat.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 AM

I remember my grandmother coming home from the butcher shop with a big sack of chicken feet. She may have had some necks in there too. I just knew what to expect, chicken noodle soup and it was good.

I can't recall having any real turtle soup. Just don't think there were enough turtles around here. But MOCK turtle soup is still one of my favorites. Do you go to St Rita's to get theirs?

When my father used to go duck hunting I would hope he drew a blank. Wild duck is one of the greasiest foods there is. Pheasant is not as bad, but still too greasy for my tastes.

Last edited by kjbrill; 12-18-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

I should have been kinder to the poster who threw out Grippo potato chips. They should be considered a Cincinnati icon. I also like Husman's thick crinkled chip but have some difficulty finding them in the large metal can which I felt retained freshness.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM

I purposefully left Cincinnati Chili and Goetta off of my list, simply because they are so well known.

I would expect associated with the earlier days of Cincinnati and its designation as Porkopolis that both Chitlins and Pork Rinds would be in the diet. I don't recall having Chitlins so much but Pork Rinds were one of my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati