Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,498 times

Advertisements

Considering moving family of five to Cincy from Florida for work reasons...Have heard good things about Mariemont/Hyde Park area as well as West Chester/Mason. Looking for houses in the 400-600K price range, good school district, family-friendly, etc. Any suggestions from locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex12 View Post
Considering moving family of five to Cincy from Florida for work reasons...Have heard good things about Mariemont/Hyde Park area as well as West Chester/Mason. Looking for houses in the 400-600K price range, good school district, family-friendly, etc. Any suggestions from locals?
It definitely depends on your personal vibes. In your suggested price range you should have the pick of these neighborhoods (maybe not the high end in Hyde Park or even Mason).

Mariemont was one of the first planned communities in the US. It has many desired attributes. The community has a common denominator architectural appearance, what I call the Williamsburg of the mid west. Nothing much to complain about, other than many of the properties are small by today's comparisons.

Hyde Park is a complete amalgram. Hard to determine eactly what it is. Some of the most grandose houses in the entire area are located fhere. Then you evolve to multi-level brownstones renting out flats.

West Chester (which is a townshio by the way) and Mason are on the northern boundaries of the City, actually a good distance out of the City.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM

25 posts, read 38,099 times
Hyde Park/Mt Lookout is a very good area for young professionals with low crime rates while being close to many urban amenities. However the only real drawback that I can think of it that it is within the Cincinnati Public Schools which do have a few highly regarded magnet schools but are overall of very poor quality.

Mariemont is top notch and I would also suggest Anderson Township.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,498 times
Thanks for the responses. I'll be working close to downtown if I go through with the move, so it would be more convenient to be in a neighborhood closer to that area, however, I don't mind a longer commute; I live forty-five minutes from work at the moment.
Mason and West Chester appear far from the city on a map, and seem to have more of a typical-suburban look to them judging by house listings. Am I right in that assumption? And would I feel too far out from the city in those areas--are they considered part of Cincinnati?
I haven't come across Anderson Township--is this considered "east side" of Cincinnati?
Ideally, I'd like somewhere safe and suburban, yet not too far from the downtown area that it feels remote or disconnected.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Bluex12 - your assumptions about West Chester and Mason are accurate. If you want something typical suburban but closer in, Anderson township is a good bet. You also would probably be happy in Sycamore township.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Bluex12...

West Chester is one of the largest townships in the state with a population currently around 65,000. Mason is a city with a population around 35,000. Both of them experienced very rapid growth over the past 20 years. Each has developments of all shapes and sizes. Easily within a 45 minute commute to downtown. Both have excellent schools which is part of the reason the development spurted.

Look at Montgomery and Blue Ash in your realty browsings. They are closer to downtown and in the Sycamore school district which is excellent. Also in the same school district is parts of Symmes Township in the northern part of Hamilton County. There are some very nice homes in that area.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex12 View Post
I suggest you investigate Wyoming. Absolutely top rated schools and a great sense of community.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Wyoming is always my suggestion for quick access to the city, a beautiful looking community, and its family orientation.
In this case, it seems to even suit the person I'm advising! I plain love the place

Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Wyoming is always my suggestion for quick access to the city, a beautiful looking community, and its family orientation.
In this case, it seems to even suit the person I'm advising! I plain love the place
Wyoming is definitely a fine place and convenient to the City. The only problem is it is rather small and may have limited availability in housing to your liking.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Great suggestions so far. I'd say Anderson if you're looking for a suburban feel with good schools but not too far from downtown......Montgomery is a lot like this too, however, it has a more snooty old money feel....and you can get a lot more house in Anderson....but downtown Montgomery is quaint.

Wyoming-----a fine suggestion----stately old houses with great schools----but it has a more urban feel because you have to drive thru a gritty area to get there. You really need to drive thru it to really know if it's your thing.

Hyde Park is great if you're confident you're kids are smart enough to test into Walnut Hill schools or you're thinking of going the private school route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati