Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 AM

85 posts, read 297,461 times

Advertisements

I posted here before when I thought I was moving to Cincy a while back. I found the comments very helpful, and want to ask a couple more questions now that it appears my relocation is back on. My main question is, what are the family friendly areas within the city that have old distinguished housing stock?

Specifically, I am looking for the following: $550k or less, 2500 sq ft or more, 4 BR/2BA, older housing with character (think 1920s and older), and either a good school district or a good neighborhood combined with cheaper housing that would allow me to afford private school. I will be working in the Kenwood area and want a rush hour commute of 30 min or less. I would like to be able to walk to some neighborhood shops and restaurants. My kids are 4 and 2 right now. My wife are I are open to a little more grit and city-type living than most people with kids, but we do want something that is safe. We are open to, and actually totally embrace, a renovation project provided the end cost (after renovations) is $550k or less.

With all this in mind, we like:
Mariemont - the picturesque town we want, but housing is too small or too expensive
Madeira - good neighborhood and schools, but housing is not as old/grand as I would like
Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout - might be the best option when combining housing with Kilgour/Walnut Hills HS
Pleasant Ridge - some housing options, I hear schools are on rise, but sounds like there are no shops
N. Avondale - love love love the housing, but not sure about safety and community. Assume private school.
E. Walnut Hills - again, love housing but not sure about safety/neighborhood
Blue Ash & Montgomery - housing not really old enough for me, but have some options
Kenwood - proximity to work, good schools, and a couple houses fit

Can you comment on the neighborhoods above and help me refine or add to my list? If I had to pick today, I would guess Mariemont and HP/Oakley/Mt. Lookout are the best options. But I think we would love N. Avondale and E. Walnut Hills if people can alleviate neighborhood concerns for me. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
^^ You post some interesting concerns.

If you just love older housing I can understand what you like. N. Avondale and E. Walnut Hills both have the housing you desire. It boils down to what is most important to you. With a 4 and 2 year old I wouldn't personally be caught dead in either one of them. But that is where we all differ in our personalities. You might want to survey this forum for comments from such as restorationconsultant and his take on restoration on the close west side in Knox Hill. I am not sure where your job in Kenwood will be at, but it is not the most convenient location to older housing in Cincinnati other than Hyde Park and Mt Lookout.

I recommend you PM restorationconsultant and request his assistance. He is an obvious advocate of older and restored property here in Cincinnati. From what I have read he also has a level take on the value of older property plus the safety of the neighborhood.

The typical realtor will sell you anything they think you are interested in. If you desire an older property you need some good advice on where.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
You'll get a stunning property with a beautiful old house in Pleasant Ridge for that price and the commute to kenwood would be very quick. Grand Vista and Orchard are the streets to consider. I think you'll find plenty of families quite similar to yours on both streets.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Kjbrill, I will seek out restorationconsultant.

Progmac, I like a couple current listings on Grand Vista. What is that neighborhood like in regards to walk ability? Is there any retail there?

Also, what do people think of Wyoming? That seems like a potential fit (housing and schools are great and it appears to have a town center), but I am not sure about the commute or the areas that surround Wyoming.

Last edited by fiskkm; 12-29-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Kjbrill, I will seek out restoration consultant.

Program, I like a couple current listings on Grand Vista. What is that neighborhood like in regards to walk ability? Is there any retail there?

Also, what do people think of Wyoming? That seems like a potential fit (housing and schools are great and it appears to have a town center), but I am not sure about the commute or the areas that surround Wyoming.
Wyoming is a fine place, and the schools are well rated. The commute would be OK, especially if you take either the Norwood Lateral or go a little north and take Cross County. It is not overly large so housing selection is spotty. If you can find a home within your bounds, grab it. I would not be concerned about what surrounds Wyoming as the entire area is stable. The best thing about Wyoming is its independent good school district. With a 4 and 2 year old, would definitely be on my desire list.

Grand Vista is an old street with some grand homes. You can walk it but there is not too much to walk to. The commute would be great to Kenwood, just go straight up Montgomery Rd, don't even bother with the interstate. The business district, which is concentrated along Montgomery Rd has been declining for many years now, so not much retail to speak of. But some of the homes are majestic.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Kjbrill, I will seek out restorationconsultant.

Progmac, I like a couple current listings on Grand Vista. What is that neighborhood like in regards to walk ability? Is there any retail there?

Wyoming is a good fit, too. It is a bit of an island, but a very very nice island.

Within walking distance on Grand Vista, you'll have the library, a vet, a vegan restaurant, two coffee shops, a massage parlor, a dry cleaner, and walgreens. There are two decent bars in walking distance, an established record store, comic book store, a new odd-and-ends store selling local made stuff. Nothing upscale or fancy or anything approaching Hyde Park Square. In general the business district area is somewhat run-down, but it's okay. Worth checking out when you scout the area.

Grand vista is a long cul-de-sac, and if you are far back on the cul-de-sac, you'll probably drive the 1/2 or 3/4 mile to the business district rather than walk.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM

^^ If I had an option, Wyoming would be my preference, especially for raising two young kids in what I know is a great school environment.

Grand Vista has some great physical properties. Again, what is your preference?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

410 posts, read 587,205 times
My family lives in E.Walnut Hills and there are many families with young children. The children attend several different public & private schools in the area. The area does have occasional property crime issues. There is an active movement to bring additional unique businesses to the Woodburn corridor between Madison and East McMillan. There are several restaurants within walking distance either north or south on Madison as well as the retail shops in O'Bryonville (under a mile). It's definately not a suburban cul de sac type of upbringing for our children but they have many friends in the area as do we!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 AM

Default E. Walnut Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
My family lives in E.Walnut Hills and there are many families with young children. The children attend several different public & private schools in the area. The area does have occasional property crime issues. There is an active movement to bring additional unique businesses to the Woodburn corridor between Madison and East McMillan. There are several restaurants within walking distance either north or south on Madison as well as the retail shops in O'Bryonville (under a mile). It's definately not a suburban cul de sac type of upbringing for our children but they have many friends in the area as do we!
Thanks Mimi. East Walnut Hills is one of the areas that is still an unknown to me, so I appreciate the response. You mentioned that families attend public and private schools in the area. Can you help me identify those schools so I can research them? Also, do you have any idea of the private school tuition costs? Finally, what is the safest and most stable area of East Walnut Hills? Put another way, where do I need to be looking at houses?

For everyone, do you think North Avondale or East Walnut Hills is the better choice for me? I see them as being somewhat similar in the housing stock, but based on my internet research it appears that North Avondale has a slightly more suburban feel with larger lots and East Walnut Hills has a more city-like feel with smaller lots and amenities closer by. Is that an accurate generalization?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
E Walnut Hills is very compelling. I think the business district on woodburn is finally starting to come into its own as a decent urban spot. I went to an art opening there a few weeks ago and was really impressed with the progress.

We would have definitely chosen E Walnut Hills if we could have afforded it. Our budget was under $200k. The only house we could afford was falling down a hill and needed significant geotechnical work.

Walnut Hills (both east and 'regular') easily have the potential to be the most desirable zip code in the city. If and when that will be realized is anybody's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati