Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 40,337 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been asked several times, so I apologize for the redundancy, but I was unable to find an answer that pertained to my particular situation.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes

What specific topic have you not found answers to? Location, Neighborhood safety

Where is your current location and environment? Outside the Detroit, MI area

Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? No preference

Where will your work location be? I-71 and Martin Luther King (Avondale area?)

Maximum commute time desired? would like it to be under 20 minutes, 30 min at most

What is you budget for housing? $800 - $1000

Rent or buy? Start off renting then buy later

Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) No preference

Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 1000 sq ft, 2 bdrms / 1 bath (minimum)

Other specifics? pet-friendly

Older, distinctive architecture, individual character. I'm fascinated with the older homes. I love their charm and distinctive features. But, it would need to be in a safe neighborhood. I may consider an older home that needs fixing-up as long as I feel safe in the area.

Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready Modern is nice too.
Very safe, low crime area

Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? I could tolerate a small degree of crime potential but I'll be living by myself for the first few months so I don't want to feel scared to be alone, especially at night. And I'd like to be able to take a walk on a nice day without the fear of being robbed.
Community amenities?
Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.

I appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
From what you've already noted, a lot of nearby neighborhoods will probably suit you--all of them urban and urbane; none of them mired in crime; all of them near downtown; and all of them adequately served by public transportation.

If you will, please tell us more about yourself. For example, are you being employed within the "hospital district"? Single or with other members needing future consideration, etc? And, generally speaking, what are some of your own personal preferences? For example, are you sports-oriented, a "foodie," entertainment-minded, etc? All important considerations... Welcome to Cincinnati.

Last edited by motorman; 04-12-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM

224 posts, read 297,660 times
If I could do it over again, I would have given Fort Thomas, KY a closer look. Good school district (Highlands), close to everything yet also kind of tucked away on the hill at the same time. Possible downsides include the over-emphasis on football and some resistance to outsiders. Northern Kentucky also has a raging heroin epidemic that's affecting everyone. The Ohio side has an epidemic underway, too, but it's really out of control in Kentucky.

But, I know a family who moved there several years ago (they are not Ft Thomas natives) and they're pretty happy with it overall. Still worth a look IMHO.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,183 times
Look at Oakley. It's relatively close to your job and fits your budget. Clifton is also a possibility. So is Hyde Park, which is a bit more money than the other two. CUF if you want an area more youthful and urban. Pleasant Ridge and Norwood are also possibilities -- you could get more space for your dollar in those areas. St. Bernard is a name you don't hear much on this board but might fit; it's definitely close to your work.

Fort Thomas might be good if you want something more suburban, but it could really extend commute time. (Crossing the river from NKY can be a bear in morning rush.)

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those areas. Although I said I'd like to rent before buying, what can you tell me about the area this house is located in?

1985 Ridgetop Way, Cincinnati, OH 45238 - Zillow

Motorman - my possible job opportunity is within the hospital district. I am married so my husband will be needing to find employment. I have a son who recently graduated from college and he may be joining in the move at a later date. As for personal tastes, I like a little bit of everything you mention, but I mostly prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city but not too far out in the boonies. I'd like to be close enough so that we can enjoy all the city has to offer and then return home to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewa88 View Post
can you tell me about the area this house is located in?
Looks like Westwood. Parts of Westwood can be rough, and others really nice.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those areas. Although I said I'd like to rent before buying, what can you tell me about the area this house is located in?

Motorman - my possible job opportunity is within the hospital district. I am married so my husband will be needing to find employment. I have a son who recently graduated from college and he may be joining in the move at a later date. As for personal tastes, I like a little bit of everything you mention, but I mostly prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city but not too far out in the boonies. I'd like to be close enough so that we can enjoy all the city has to offer and then return home to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.
The overall area where the house is located is rough. However, if memory serves, this subdivison was a featured "Citirama" development a few years ago, and the house may have the advantage of some remaining years of a local property tax abatement in addition to the appealing foreclosure pricing.

I would GUESS the subdivision isn't much affected by the problems of the surrounding area. Similar little pocket neighborhoods are scattered around Cincinnati, in part due to the hilly terrain. I live in a similar area which has had nothing more than a handful of home break-ins over the 13 years I've been here, although the crime stats list for incidents within a mile of my home is as long as your arm. There's one way in and out (as with the neighborhood you asked about),the neighbors keep an eye on things, and I don't think overall it looks at all appealing to criminals.

In this case there really would be no substitute for talking with the people who live there.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 AM

224 posts, read 297,660 times
Quote:

That area is way too shaky - I don't recommend it.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 AM

OK, so from what I gather with your responses, the area of Westwood should be avoided. Are there any other specific areas that should be avoided? I would really like an area where I can enjoy being outside on a nice day and where I can feel safe.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Quote:
OK, so from what I gather with your responses, the area of Westwood should be avoided.
Westwood is a huge neighborhood. To say it should be avoided is just not accurate. There are areas that are rough and areas that are alright. You just have to do your own due diligence. Personally, I would take Sarah Perry's advice and talk to the neighbors. Also, it would be worth visiting the neighborhood during the day and at night if at all possible. I wouldn't write off one of the city's largest neighborhoods based on opinions on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati