Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM

50 posts, read 82,799 times

Advertisements

I do not know much about Hartwell, but between P Ridge and Oakley, I would choose P Ridge based upon your needs and price point. You can get on a pretty nice street in P Ridge for that price - thinking Kincaid, Beredith, etc., that would be walkable to certain amenities (library, playground/pool, a few restaurants, Walgreens) and within PRM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Hartwell is definitely closer to Sharonville, but it rather makes your commute to Florence a bit crappy.

Considering schools, commute, everything, Pleasant Ridge seems like the best bet. From P Ridge hubby can take the Norwood Lateral over to I-75 and up to Sharonville. You can take I-71 to either I-471 and across the river or to I-71/I-75 south and to Florence. You both will be making a rather reverse commute, that is not going the direction of the major traffic flow either time of the day.

If you can find a rental place in P Ridge I advise doing that regardless of when your current house sells. That way you get to try everything out to see how the shoe fits.

If you can't find anything in P Ridge, definitely consider Oakley. Just make sure you are in the territory for the new Hyde Park elementary school or at least Kilgour, do not get stuck in John P Parker.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM

404 posts, read 826,804 times
If CPS is allowing open enrollment tuition-free anyway, and she already got in, why not move to Madeira or Montgomery or Wyoming where the schools are good and you don't have to fret over magnet/CPS stuff?

Is it the transporation issue?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
If CPS is allowing open enrollment tuition-free anyway, and she already got in, why not move to Madeira or Montgomery or Wyoming where the schools are good and you don't have to fret over magnet/CPS stuff?

Is it the transporation issue?
On the surface that seems simple. But I suspect it is a combination of both cost of housing plus the cost and time of the double commute. Sharonville and Florence are not across the street from each other.

I grew up in Madeira and lived there for over 10 years after first married. It was a great town, has had great schools for decades, and is a fine place to live. But for some reason property values there have become rediculous. My parents built a very simple 6-room Cape Cod in 1948 on a 50' by 150' lot, at a base cost of $8,200. I just checked on the HC website and in late 2012 some idiot paid $248,875 for it.
Correction, I am the idiot. Just before my mother passed in 2007, brother and I sold the house to a speculator for $152,000. My father was a professional tradesman and the house was always meticulously maintained. We were very happy with the sale. But a $96,000 increase in 5 years? - like I say some idiot.

Thought I would go a little further and looked up my first house in Madeira, a small 1160 sq ft 3-BR ranch. Bought it in 1963 for $14,500, but granted it was depressed due to condition, market value for good condition would have been around $20,000. Did a fair amount of work on it and sold it in 1973 for $40,500. Last sale was in Dec 1997 for $119,300. Granted that was 24 years later, but it almost tripled.

I know Madeira has still maintained good schools which adds value. Lord I have seen that effect here in Mason. But I honestly cannot recommend Madeira as a place to invest. The majority of the area was market speculation construction to begin with, and a large percentage was pretty shoddy even 60 years ago. Much of it is old, has multiple problems, and can bleed you to death.

So a house built in 1948 for $8,200 is now worth $248,875 in 2013? Granted that is 65 years, but is it no wonder the majority of us are concerned about our old age. This thing called inflation is stripping all of us of our dignity. But until we learn to call it for what it really is - government overspending, we are stuck.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You didn't say what your price range was, but Hartwell is indeed the best school/home value combo in the city.

Oakley just got a major shot in the arm with the opening of Hyde Park School. Most of the Oakley kids will go there. I haven't carefully studied the maps, but some in Oakley may still be going to Kilgour, which is good, but there may also be a few streets that also still get banished to John P Parker. Be careful of that. That's where the Madison Place kids likely go, and you don't want that.
Once again I'm writing a Me Too posting--I forgot about Hartwell, not sure what the school did to make the excellent rating it now boasts, but it also is a newly and beautifully renovated building. Great place to look.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,945 times
Thank you all so much! This information is very helpful. My understanding of the Open Enrollment policy is that you have to apply specifically for that way in advance, so the timing wouldn't work. Transportation would also be a bear if we lived out of district. If anyone knows where besides Craigslist I can find a 3 bedroom apt/house for rent in Pleasant Ridge, Oakley or Hartwell, my ears are wide open!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Some posters will insist your life will be better in the 'burbs, no matter what.

Pleasant Ridge has a more substantial neighborhood business district, which would sway me in that direction. Makes the neighborhood more walkable, which is especially a plus if kids can go places without you having to drive them. Plus I haven't heard anything about the neighborhood school in Hartwell, but I have heard good things about PRM. PR is also more diverse, I believe, which is an advantage of CPS that you might as well maximize the benefit of (without sacrificing education quality, of course).

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Some posters will insist your life will be better in the 'burbs, no matter what.

Pleasant Ridge has a more substantial neighborhood business district, which would sway me in that direction. Makes the neighborhood more walkable, which is especially a plus if kids can go places without you having to drive them. Plus I haven't heard anything about the neighborhood school in Hartwell, but I have heard good things about PRM. PR is also more diverse, I believe, which is an advantage of CPS that you might as well maximize the benefit of (without sacrificing education quality, of course).
Is Hartwell the burbs?

I got the impression that "hartwell" was a relatively small neighborhood in Cincy proper? Or is it just on the border. I think its somewhere over near N. College Hill/ Mt. Airy/Mt. Healthy (I swear I've seen it on a sign as I drove through), but I'm not 100% where the city boundary is over there..

Just curious. Once you get out of the CBD (I think that's what you call the city core here) -- it all looks relatively interchangeable to me until you get out to the hinterlands, which are all interchangeable in and of themselves.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Is Hartwell the burbs?

I got the impression that "hartwell" was a relatively small neighborhood in Cincy proper? Or is it just on the border. I think its somewhere over near N. College Hill/ Mt. Airy/Mt. Healthy (I swear I've seen it on a sign as I drove through), but I'm not 100% where the city boundary is over there..

Just curious. Once you get out of the CBD (I think that's what you call the city core here) -- it all looks relatively interchangeable to me until you get out to the hinterlands, which are all interchangeable in and of themselves.
Hartwell is the northernmost city neighborhood or close to it. It is as far as I know the only part of the City north of the cross-county highway.

Empress Chili, i believe one of cincinnati's oldest chili parlors, is located there. Other than that it is mostly quiet residential streets with 30s-type housing (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hartw...,54.88,,0,4.75 ) but there are some unexpected late 19th century gems ( https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hartw...38.33,,0,-7.06 ). The commercial district is mostly strip-type stuff but seems to stay full with useful businesses.

Others on this forum are certainly more familiar with the neighborhood than I am and can perhaps chime in (Goygoy, Hartwell Girl I'm talking to you...)

Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Pleasant Ridge has a more substantial neighborhood business district, which would sway me in that direction. Makes the neighborhood more walkable, which is especially a plus if kids can go places without you having to drive them.
Pleasant Ridge has an awesome rec. center as well.

Facility Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati