Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 11,761 times

Advertisements

Hey not new to the forum but its my first post, my dad is moving us to Cincinnati I'm a guy and 16, my dad is 45 and my sister is 20, what would there be to do in Cincinnati? What's the city like? I'm used to larger cities like Dallas so isn't my dad and sister

BQ: Anyone here know of a good shooting range for rifles in Cincinnati I've been looking and can't find any

Last edited by Loco8; 06-14-2013 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: added what I forgot to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco8 View Post
BQ: Anyone here know of a good shooting range for rifles in Cincinnati I've been looking and can't find any
You may find a problem there. The hunters around here typically use shotguns for game such as rabbits, quaill, pheasants, duck, etc. The only larger game in Ohio is deer, and I am not sure whether there is a season for rifle. So rifle ranges may be hard to come by. The gun crowd may chime in here and help you out.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-15-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
First of all, Cincinnati is not Dallas. But it has contributed. Roger Staubach, perhaps the greatest QB the Cowboys ever had was from Cincinnati. He attended Purcell HS in Cincinnati.

So don't come here feeling you have been banished to oblivion. That is just not true. Ask what your interests are and others will respond. You mentioned rifle ranges and I responded not very positively. If I am wrong others will respond to correct me.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM

865 posts, read 1,473,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco8 View Post
Point Blank Range: Point Blank Indoor Shooting Range & Gun Shop | Cincinnati Ohio

Aside from that, there are several local clubs that you can join that have large outdoor ranges.

What else are you interested in? Cincinnati has a lot to offer.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
Lots of traffic...rush hour is all day long.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
LOL @ "so isn't my dad..." 'cause I thought we only twisted English like that in Boston! "So don't we" sometimes say "so isn't" even though we mean "so is."

Just about everybody in this forum can only wish we were 16 again, m'friend. But we'll try and help out as best we can. It looks like you're already gotten some input about shooting ranges.

Do you know yet where you'll be living - city or suburbs? Greater Cincinnati may not have the number of people that DFW does, but it covers a lot of ground in three states. Just like anywhere, though, the outer suburbs tend to be the most boring places for young adults to live and this is why their parents settle in them. And similarly to Dallas (except we're behind on the light-rail side of things) you pretty much have to drive to get anywhere.

If you'll be moving before September you'll at least have NO problem adjusting to the weather. Because Cincinnati is in a geographic basin (large river surrounded by hills) most summer days are hot, muggy, and downright nasty. The air quality often suffers too. Rainstorms can be a mixed blessing, though, since the area's within Tornado Alley. Actual tornadoes strike only every 10-15 years, roughly, but there are plenty of "watches" and "warnings" in season. Definitely live in a house with a basement.

Your biggest cultural adjustment will probably be in terms of race/ethnicity. Cincy was home to very few Hispanics until about the '80s. Even today the overall percentage is very small although a couple of communities have coalesced around Vine St in the city and Route 4 in adjoining Butler County. Aside from an annual festival at the county fairgrounds (which happens to be well situated for the Spanish-speaking folks in the two Vine St neighborhoods) there's really nothing large-scale out there. And Mexicans aren't the only group represented by a long shot, unlike in "Tejas."
Germans were the largest group of European immigrants to move in starting after the Civil War, and they're still heavily represented if only by last names. Irish and Italian ancestry is far less common, ditto for Eastern Europeans although they flocked to Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago. Because of geography Cincinnati played a major role in the Abolitionist movement and then as time went on became the relocation city of choice for thousands of African-Americans. Currently the proportion of AA persons within the municipal boundaries is close to 40%, while certain suburbs are Black-majority and a small number are reasonably diverse but most are overwhelmingly Caucasian.

Don't fear being made fun of if you have a strong Southern accent. In Cincinnati it's not the least bit "foreign," thanks to the local twang's being not that much different. The scads of people who landed during the Great Migration between the 1930's and '60s, White and Black alike, also helped a drawl to not raise eyebrows and draw snickers over time. And as soon as you're in Kentucky everybody sounds straight-up Suth'n, a curious reality I've never understood. My parents had a tougher go of it, having been raised in South Carolina, but they landed in town during a different era. Decades have passed since anybody stopped my dad or mom in public to say something annoying like, "Could you repeat that just so I can hear you say it? I love how you Southern people talk."

I should also mention that Cincinnati does have some megachurches but not nearly on the scale of what you see in Texas. There's a sizable Catholic population and a large parochial-school system right through college, but few "Christian schools" exist. You'll probably also notice after a while that a fair number of Jewish people are in the mix, likely more so than in DFW. How much any of this will affect your acclimation depends on how religious of a person you happen to be.

As for "kids" in da Nati, they're just like kids all over. Best of luck in finding new friends easily.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 11,761 times
Racially I don't believe I'll have a problem neither will my dad or sister, my dad is Native and me and my sister are Native/Black/White, I'm not really all that religious I believe in God Heaven and Hell but I won't go around preaching to people, thanks for y'alls answers though, also more then likely my dad will have us as close to downtown as he can get without living in an apartment, do a lot of car work need a garage

Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
As I mentioned last time, don't sweat "y'all" 'cause a lot of Cincinnati people say just that every day and no one in Kentucky doesn't.
You might be interested in Camp Washington as a place to live. It's a mostly Appalachian but somewhat "mixed" neighborhood not far from downtown and served by Cincinnati's excuse for buses. There are lots of houses available which are on the cheap side and are older but usually don't take much work if any to be "up to date." Most people know it as the area to drive through on the way to one of the big viaducts that lead to the west side of town, and even more associate it with the all-night chili parlor carrying the same name. But it came to mind to me for you because the effects of America's manufacturing-sector collapse are still being felt there. Some of the old factories are being converted to loft apartments, and one is even now the home of The American Sign Museum. But there are many vacated yet sturdy buildings as well as some empty (plus, often paved) lots where it'd be easy to roll in and pop up the hood. Nowhere else close in to downtown - at least on the Ohio side of the river - are you likely to be able to find this.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
^ Unload all your guns before entering the Queen City, please! Quite simply, Cincinnati's not some Texas cow town, but one of the most cultured cities in the entire Midwest. (Period.) Right now I've neither the time nor the inclination to explain it all to you, but I just want to reiterate--leave your guns at home.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Unload all your guns before entering the Queen City, please! Quite simply, Cincinnati's not some Texas cow town, but one of the most cultured cities in the entire Midwest. (Period.) Right now I've neither the time nor the inclination to explain it all to you, but I just want to reiterate--leave your guns at home.
I don't understand the point of your post, and I think it sounds rude. You have obviously never spent much time in Dallas, otherwise you would know it isn't some hick town where people drive around with rifles hanging out of their back pockets. It is actually quite cultured itself. Don't place the original poster into some sort of category because he likes to go to a range and shoot guns and you don't. Some of us enjoy a wide range of cultural activities including enjoying a trip to a gun range.

To the original poster. Welcome to Cincinnati and best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati