Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
It's a real stretch to say that noting someone's age and gender = racism and prejudice.
Ageism and sexism are the very definition of prejudice and they are just as powerful to those affected as racism. I question why did he bring up the dissenters' ages and genders unless to put them down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Ageism and sexism are the very definition of prejudice and they are just as powerful to those affected as racism. I question why did he bring up the dissenters' ages and genders unless to put them down?
Again, Red Herring.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Again, Red Herring.
Facts to substantiate this statement?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Facts to substantiate this statement?
Are we actually discussing the issues detailed in the letter? Or are discussing the distracting from the issue topic of how the author used "a small number of retired elderly ladies," when referring to a small number of retired elderly ladies? And somehow this was equated to racism and prejudice against gays.

Quote:
Red herring is an English-language idiom, a logical fallacy that misleads or detracts from the issue.
I then quoted points for discussion, but somehow they have been ignored in favor of "retired elderly ladies."

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Are we actually discussing the issues detailed in the letter? Or are discussing the distracting from the issue topic of how the author used "a small number of retired elderly ladies," when referring to a small number of retired elderly ladies? And somehow this was equated to racism and prejudice against gays.

I then quoted points for discussion, but somehow they have been ignored in favor of "retired elderly ladies."
You are missing the point. The only reason the writer noted that the women were elderly and retired was to make it easier to dismiss their argument. It is the same concept as saying that a few fat people showed up to voice their disapproval towards the construction of a bike trail, some young black men opposed the construction of a new jail, or some bearded men wearing hemp clothing opposed new drug laws.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You are missing the point.
No, actually I am not missing anything. I am endeavoring to discuss points such as these:

Quote:
Bringing density back to Downtown and OTR means more vitality and more tax dollars to support the entire City
Quote:
As I'm sure you know, these kinds of rail transit projects in mid-size US cities (Phoenix, Tucson, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Providence, St. Paul, Seattle, Portland, Fort Lauderdale, Milwaukee, Charlotte, New Orleans, Atlanta) are either operational or in the works for one simple reason. That reasons is this: all the data shows that these rail-transit projects are big drivers of economic development ("in-fill" development as the urban planners call it) which:
* makes urban street life more dense, vital and safe
* drives up tax revenue and property values, and
* creates an environment that attracts young families with children — thus helping to revitalize neighborhood public schools with stronger parent participation, stronger PTAs, and more children walking to school.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I see some advantages to a streetcar system, and I am generally a fan of public transit......

There are also disadvantages to a streetcar system, namely the opportunity cost of the project and the yearly operating budget.
I did miss your earlier post. Will respond a little later.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
No, actually I am not missing anything. I am endeavoring to discuss points such as these:
There's a ton of positives with public transportation (I ride the bus everyday---so I'm all for public transportation), but can the city of Cincinnati afford to build this particular mode of public transportation and can the street car be self-sufficient once it's going, and if not how much will it cost the city and can this be afforded? Some people have their doubts......and when they voice their concerns they are belittled and patronized......and sometimes worse. All you have to do is read the posts from about 5 people on this site if you don't believe me.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
There's a ton of positives with public transportation (I ride the bus everyday---so I'm all for public transportation), but can the city of Cincinnati afford to build this particular mode of public transportation and can the street car be self-sufficient once it's up? Some people have their doubts......and when they voice their concerns they are belittled and patronized......and sometimes worse. All you have to do is read the posts from about 5 people on this site if you don't believe me.
I understand. I'm endeavoring to rise above, and learn more about how Cincinnati and it's streetcar are going to get along, if at all, since Council votes today.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM

And we are moving forward.

Cincinnati Streetcar Funding Vote Passed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati