Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 118,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incamethe View Post
There is a perception that Turpin is academically stronger and Anderson is athletically stronger. Turpin has slightly newer facilities and has higher rankings, whatever that's worth. Truth is, both schools offer the same AP classes, so I would say both schools have the same opportunities. The problem is self selection. Kids more likely to excel on the SAT/AP tests choose Turpin, which increases its ranking and exacerbates the disparity. I would actually like to see the district get rid of the choice system for that reason.
I had no idea there was a choice when I attended Anderson (although it was pre-Nagel where all the kids from both sides of the district are intermingled for a few years-- the rivalry was pretty strong and we tended to stay where we were assigned based on school boundaries) . I'd be fine with our kids in either school, since they do offer all the same academic programs-- I have a slight preference toward Turpin because the test scores are a bit higher, but I wouldn't feel our kids are getting less of an education should the right house for us fall in the Anderson part of the district (and we all know things could definitely change with the rankings in the next 5-6 years when we will be facing a child in high school)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incamethe View Post
There is a perception that Turpin is academically stronger and Anderson is athletically stronger. Turpin has slightly newer facilities and has higher rankings, whatever that's worth. Truth is, both schools offer the same AP classes, so I would say both schools have the same opportunities. The problem is self selection. Kids more likely to excel on the SAT/AP tests choose Turpin, which increases its ranking and exacerbates the disparity. I would actually like to see the district get rid of the choice system for that reason.
This used to be true. Turpin is now considered better academically (at least according to test scores US News etc) as well as better in sports. Turpin beat Anderson in almost every sport last year and by a solid margin in a lot of those contests. Turpin beat Anderson in football 42-14 this year (football was long Anderson's strength and Turpin's weakness) and has not lost to Anderson in soccer in over two decades. The only sports where there seems to be competition are girls soccer and baseball.

The district should absolutely not get rid of the choice system as long as it still puts all the kids in the same middle school. The reason most kids pick the opposite is generally because of friends they make at Nagel more than anything else.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP ...

We tend to get absorbed in subjects and personal opinion on this forum.

First of all, let me welcome you back to Cincinnati. Second or all, with your husband working downtown I will violate my own prime directive which is live close to where you work. With 4 kids under the age of 10, there is absolutely no way I would advise you to live downtown, or frankly anyplace close. The exception may be NKY which I frankly don't have enough experience with.

14 years is not that long of a time. I suggested berfore and will recomend again to look at the area you grew up in and are most familiar with - Anderson and Turpin.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OP ...

We tend to get absorbed in subjects and personal opinion on this forum.

First of all, let me welcome you back to Cincinnati. Second or all, with your husband working downtown I will violate my own prime directive which is live close to where you work. With 4 kids under the age of 10, there is absolutely no way I would advise you to live downtown, or frankly anyplace close. The exception may be NKY which I frankly don't have enough experience with.

14 years is not that long of a time. I suggested berfore and will recomend again to look at the area you grew up in and are most familiar with - Anderson and Turpin.
Thank you Kjbrill . I think we are going to start our house tours in Turpin Hills, and extend our radius if necessary . I very much appreciate all the input I've gotten, you've all been very helpful!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
With 4 kids under the age of 10, there is absolutely no way I would advise you to live downtown, or frankly anyplace close.
Frankly, that's insulting to all the families (mine included) who live downtown. Your anti-urban sentiment bubbles to the surface often enough, though you deny it.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Frankly, that's insulting to all the families (mine included) who live downtown. Your anti-urban sentiment bubbles to the surface often enough, though you deny it.
You have one child and live in downtown. To me that is a big difference from having 4 under the age of 10. We had 4 children and I remember very well what a chase that was, and I had a live at home wife.
You can say I insult you all you want, I prefer it to be practical concerning how to control a gang of slightly different aged kids. And downtown is not the place to do it.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 37,914 times
OP, check out the Treeridge neighborhood in Milford. It is located off of Milford Parkway on Lakefield Drive.

The homes were built approximately 20-25 years ago, and meet many of your desired attributes. Prices are roughly $250's if the home requires minor updating, $270s for top of the line.

My wife and I will be relocating to the area from DC soon and will likely buy in the neighborhood. Many trees, well maintained, active family atmosphere.

We looked all over the north and east side suburbs and were charmed by little Milford the most. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
You have one child and live in downtown. To me that is a big difference from having 4 under the age of 10. We had 4 children and I remember very well what a chase that was, and I had a live at home wife.
You can say I insult you all you want, I prefer it to be practical concerning how to control a gang of slightly different aged kids. And downtown is not the place to do it.
You know so little about living downtown, that your recommendation not to live here should be taken with a grain of salt. And FWIW, I know several families in my neighborhood with multiple kids. So what's your point? Frankly, I would rather raise my kid downtown, where there is a lot of diversity, and even grit, as opposed to the uptight and mostly white suburbs. And downtown is fine for raising families. But then what would you know about downtown? When was the last time you were here?

Anyway, I'll catch you tomorrow sometime. I'm out.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDC View Post
OP, check out the Treeridge neighborhood in Milford. It is located off of Milford Parkway on Lakefield Drive.

The homes were built approximately 20-25 years ago, and meet many of your desired attributes. Prices are roughly $250's if the home requires minor updating, $270s for top of the line.

My wife and I will be relocating to the area from DC soon and will likely buy in the neighborhood. Many trees, well maintained, active family atmosphere.

We looked all over the north and east side suburbs and were charmed by little Milford the most. Good luck in your search!
Thank you MMDC . Best of luck with your move too!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Who in their right mind would read the original post and NOT rule out downtown for this family?

OP, I second the notion of starting your search in the area of town you're most familiar with from before. Even though things may have changed, whatever prior knowledge you can bring to your search will possibly be helpful. FWIW, my husband and I ended up 50 years later in the same neighborhood where my parents bought their first house when they moved to Cincinnati in 1952. And I had not lived here since 1967. Mostly coincidence, but not entirely.

Based on past experience, this thread has now taken a turn and will have nothing further useful to offer you. Best of luck, and let us know where to end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati