Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,060 times

Advertisements

As an FYI, that house on Eggerding in Lockland currently is 2nd lot away from I-75. The state of Ohio has purchased the lot between the house you posted and the interstate, and they are tearing down this house (along with most of the other lots that directly front I-75 in this neighborhood to accommodate the widening of I-75.

If you buy this house, the interstate will literally be in your side yard. Maybe that won't bother you, but I sure as heck wouldn't buy a house in this location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebteam View Post
As an FYI, that house on Eggerding in Lockland currently is 2nd lot away from I-75. The state of Ohio has purchased the lot between the house you posted and the interstate, and they are tearing down this house (along with most of the other lots that directly front I-75 in this neighborhood to accommodate the widening of I-75.

If you buy this house, the interstate will literally be in your side yard. Maybe that won't bother you, but I sure as heck wouldn't buy a house in this location.
Good comment. There is always a reason a house is a great bargain. I would not want I-75 as my next door neighbor, but if you are OK with it fine and dandy.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I'm finding this thread intriguing enough that I was thinking about your situation, OP, and I wonder if you've completely ruled out coming to Cincinnati and renting for a few months before you buy. I know the prospect of moving twice would be daunting, but when I try to imagine how the properties you're seeing online would compare with what we can see with feet on the ground here--combined with the issue of a realtor wanting to make a sale to you--I kind of cringe. With these lower-priced houses, it's critically important to spend some time observing the neighborhood at different times of the day and night, week, etc. You just can only get so far with pictures and descriptions on the internet.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm finding this thread intriguing enough that I was thinking about your situation, OP, and I wonder if you've completely ruled out coming to Cincinnati and renting for a few months before you buy. I know the prospect of moving twice would be daunting, but when I try to imagine how the properties you're seeing online would compare with what we can see with feet on the ground here--combined with the issue of a realtor wanting to make a sale to you--I kind of cringe. With these lower-priced houses, it's critically important to spend some time observing the neighborhood at different times of the day and night, week, etc. You just can only get so far with pictures and descriptions on the internet.
This is good advice, even if you can't move twice, perhaps it would be worth the investment spending a few weeks here to house shop. Actually, why not rent for the first year you are here?

I recently purchased a home in 2010, with the plans of eventually putting it out as a rental property. I was successful, but not after shopping extensively throughout the neighborhoods I was interested in. Cheap properties in Cincinnati usually mean one of two things: (obviously there are exceptions, but I found they are not the norm)

1 - A foreclosure that will require significant investment to make it liveable. Or a very dated property that still requires investment money for upgrades. I found market price foreclosures that were liveable, but most foreclosures I saw were cheap and stripped bare of copper, and anything else valuable. Pictures online rarely show the damage done by these scavengers.

2 - A decent enough home in an undesirable area. I'm not talking hardcore ghetto either. I checked several neighborhoods that looked good on paper, but upon actually visiting the neighborhood, my wife and I realized it just wasn't for us.

We shopped for a couple of months, but had the home field advantage of moving here from Dayton Ohio.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
This is good advice, even if you can't move twice, perhaps it would be worth the investment spending a few weeks here to house shop. Actually, why not rent for the first year you are here?

I recently purchased a home in 2010, with the plans of eventually putting it out as a rental property. I was successful, but not after shopping extensively throughout the neighborhoods I was interested in. Cheap properties in Cincinnati usually mean one of two things: (obviously there are exceptions, but I found they are not the norm)

1 - A foreclosure that will require significant investment to make it liveable. Or a very dated property that still requires investment money for upgrades. I found market price foreclosures that were liveable, but most foreclosures I saw were cheap and stripped bare of copper, and anything else valuable. Pictures online rarely show the damage done by these scavengers.

2 - A decent enough home in an undesirable area. I'm not talking hardcore ghetto either. I checked several neighborhoods that looked good on paper, but upon actually visiting the neighborhood, my wife and I realized it just wasn't for us.

We shopped for a couple of months, but had the home field advantage of moving here from Dayton Ohio.
You and I have probably butted heads as often as any two people on this forum, and this is excellently stated commentary. I don't have any personal experience shopping for foreclosed properties, but even a best case scenario can mean plenty of deferred maintenance as the homeowner either struggled just to make the payments, or figured they would just soak up as much "free" living time before eviction as they could. Only a couple homes in my neighborhood were taken over by lenders, but one ended up stripped of all its cabinetry and plumbing fixtures by a "temporary" owner. The other supposedly has a bunch of water damage in the basement which went on for a couple years as the house sat vacant. That one sold for $50K on a street where most houses go in the $185K range, but it's probably riddled with mold now.

But the second point is HUGE in Cincinnati, I think. Houses like the one on Lafeuille were once people's upscale homes in correspondingly upscale parts of town. That's why they are still so aesthetically attractive even today. Urban decay and flight into suburban sprawl happen everywhere, but the issue is probably especially pronounced in a place like Cincinnati which had such a strong economy up through the middle of the last century. It makes for a fun place to explore, that's for sure, but you do have to use caution in where you buy.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
You and I have probably butted heads as often as any two people on this forum, and this is excellently stated commentary.
True, but for me it was never personal. Just two anon profiles arguing our points of view on various subjects. And thanks for the compliment.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP... I believe Tom and Sarah are both giving excellent advice.

There are houses in some of the older sections of town which still have architectural appeal simply because they were well built in their day. But an 80 year old house is just that - 80 years old. If not properly cared for they can deteriorate rapidly.

You also have to evaluate the surroundings. That house on Lafeuille is a prime example. At today's costs for materials and labor I can easily see spending $50K on it to restore it close to its prior appeal. And maybe that is low. Looking at its present condition, I cannot believe it was evaluated by the county at $106,000 in 2010. But let's say $50K will bring it back to proud to live in it condition. But then what, are you overinvested for the surroundings? With the rate of decline in much of Westwood I would avoid it like the plague. There is just no way you can make a long distance evaluation of what you are buying.

If you want to consider a stable area which has not changed much in eons, consider Deer Park. It does not change much over decades. Over 70 years ago my parents lived in an apt. in Deer Park. Simple decision, both sets of my grandparents lived there also. Look closely at a map, Amberley Village to the West - affluent, Blue Ash to the East - affluent. Two of the reasons Deer Park does not change much over the years, no pressure for wholesale changes. Even Dillonvale to the north is holding its own, as it is affordable middle-class housing.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
With the rate of decline in much of Westwood I would avoid it like the plague. There is just no way you can make a long distance evaluation of what you are buying.
Good point. Some areas of Westwood are stable, and others are not. Sometimes it can be block by block, but that tends to be on the eastern end of Westwood. I think generally, it improves the further west you go. I have three friends who live in various sections of Westwood. Each of their homes and neighborhoods are nice, and they are somewhat spread out from one another. Then there are other areas of Westwood that are high crime and Section 8. There are some rough patches there for sure. Moving there would take being here, and taking the time to understand what, and where you are buying. To be clear, it's not falling off a cliff or anything. It just takes knowing the neighborhood, as it's the largest in Cincinnati.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeade View Post
In looking around the neighborhood for 2914 Lafeuille Ave in Westwood I have to say it looks very nice.Very nice!
It used to be a really nice neighborhood. Westwood between Price hill and Western Hills, or vice versa Now next to local shooting gallery http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati/daily/2013-01-15 http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati/daily/2013-04-21 http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati/daily/2013-07-01

Just a snapshot

Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 9,032 times
Well I think we will fly over and look around for a month.Anyone know of a short term rental for 2 people other than a hotel?
Somewhere we could make meals instead of eating out everyday.I will check flights today and will plan on October.Very good advice so far thanks for everything.Whats happening in Cincinnati in October?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati