Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,820,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
You don't even know what Cincinnati is today. Because you read urban development websites you think you know what is going on? No, and that is evident every time you talk about the city of Cincinnati. And don't tell anyone they can't claim Cincinnati as home. I am sure most have done more for the city in the last decade than you have done for Mason. Oh, and you have done this before, too, but if any outsider wants to comment on Cincinnati issues they can. You have no authority to tell people where they can and cannot post.
I certainly cannot keep people from posting about Cincinnati. But I also certainly can comment on when I feel they are completely off base. Coming from a family with multiple generations in Cincinnati I can certainly comment on what I believe Cincinnati values are. Don't really give a damn about the urban vs suburban scenario. Cincinnatians have values which transcend the urban/suburban arguments. Our values are deeply embedded in family and other virtues of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM

416 posts, read 701,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I certainly cannot keep people from posting about Cincinnati. But I also certainly can comment on when I feel they are completely off base. Coming from a family with multiple generations in Cincinnati I can certainly comment on what I believe Cincinnati values are. Don't really give a damn about the urban vs suburban scenario. Cincinnatians have values which transcend the urban/suburban arguments. Our values are deeply embedded in family and other virtues of life.
I am not talking about any other "values" here. Let's not spin this off into another discussion. You have very little knowledge on the CITY of CINCINNATI today, and that is where you are off base. You always turn things into an urban vs. suburbs discussion because you have a hatred for the city. Don't expect people to just sit back and let you comment on a way of life you really don't know too much about. The problem is, you're not even willing to learn about it. I know all about the suburbs as I currently live in one. It's not for me, and I will not put it down because I know others enjoy it. You, yeah, you do the opposite of that.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I am not talking about any other "values" here. Let's not spin this off into another discussion. You have very little knowledge on the CITY of CINCINNATI today, and that is where you are off base. You always turn things into an urban vs. suburbs discussion because you have a hatred for the city. Don't expect people to just sit back and let you comment on a way of life you really don't know too much about. The problem is, you're not even willing to learn about it. I know all about the suburbs as I currently live in one. It's not for me, and I will not put it down because I know others enjoy it. You, yeah, you do the opposite of that.
You are completely off base there. I have a HUGE extended family and as stated many generations of them in the Cincinnati area. Naturally many of them live in Cincinnati itself. Due to my age I don't see many of them very often. But they and in several cases for generations have lived in the City, it is their environment. Do you think I tell them they are stupid for doing that? No way, it is what they are comfortable with, just like I am comfortable with the suburbs. I just don't like it when others try to tell me I am off base.

I am glad to see the resurgence in downtown Cincinnati. But it is a Recovery, plain and simple. At one time Cincinnati was the most populous city west of the Alleghenies and the largest meat processing center. Most of my extended family came here from Germany back then and many of them built the original OTR. They built the breweries Cincy became famous for. They were also the backbone for the machine tool industry in Cincinnati. Those were the days when Cincinnati was a powerhouse in the nation. But the times they do change. But please don't try and tell me I don't understand Cincinnati. I understand it all too well, and hope the Recovery continues. Without the large suburban population and concentration of businesses where people actually want to live, Cincinnati would have been on its ass long ago. It is fortunate for another chance. It is doubly fortunate that several of its founding businesses like P&G, Kroger, and others liked the area for living such that they stayed here and brought their best people here.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Add content

Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,735 times
Ah the old city vs suburb debate. What's a city without the suburbanites driving to the city to work and enable it to function? What's a suburb without a city to provide all the amenities that it provides?

The world may never know lol

Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Ah the old city vs suburb debate. What's a city without the suburbanites driving to the city to work and enable it to function? What's a suburb without a city to provide all the amenities that it provides?

The world may never know lol
Yes there is a great city versus suburb debate, but WHY? The City is the one with a chip on their shoulder. The suburbs know exactly why they live there. The urbanists seem to think they can get everyone to return to an urban culture. Guess what NFW!.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes there is a great city versus suburb debate, but WHY? The City is the one with a chip on their shoulder. The suburbs know exactly why they live there. The urbanists seem to think they can get everyone to return to an urban culture. Guess what NFW!.
I find it very entertaining when an ubranist gets their feathers all ruffled because someone lives in the suburbs and also works in the suburbs and doesn't need to pay any mind whatsoever to the urban core.

An example would be:

"He works at P&G in Mason and also lives in Mason but will never know urban life and the struggles that come with it!"

Quite comical actually.

Why worry about where someone else lives?

Last edited by maxmodder; 03-28-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 PM

688 posts, read 1,118,704 times
Quote:
The development is really coming along.

Liberty Center News | Liberty Township, Cincinnati, Ohio

This place is going to make Easton mall in Cbus look like a joke.
I wish the project success, and given the developer's (Steiner) track record I am sure it will achieve its goal. Demographically it is located in a growing area with high net worth individuals moving in (Homearama 2014 in the area). But c'mon, it is going to take a long, long time to eclipse Easton.

Easton has way too great of a head start - about fifteen years worth. Further, location is superior for Easton being inside the Columbus Outerbelt and immediately off the I-270 exit at heavily traveled Morse Rd. near growing and relatively affluent communities of Westerville, New Albany, Gahanna, and Orange Twp. Add to it what others have already mentioned, that Easton is Leslie Wexner's, the wealthiest man in the state, pet project with The Limited right next door, and Easton is a juggernaut of retail shopping.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Oh my If You See Kaying Gawd!

NEWS FLASH!!! It is because of suburban sprawl that Cincy is going down the tubes, everyone is running off to Mason with their tails between their legs, Mason-Montgomery road is backed up every morning with Lexus SUVs dropping off their snowflakes to school so they can bang Stacy Schuler!

I know people who go to the rodeo, they put on their cowboy hats, cowboy boots and then sit in the stands and watch someone else ride a bull. That is how I see those who live in Warren County who claim to live in Cincinnati. Big hat, no cattle.

I have been here for 45 years, I am a small town redneck farm boy, but at least I own it, I don't claim to be a dime store Cincinnatian.
One of my favorite idioms - though prefer the "all hat, no cattle" version.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
I'm a little surprised they weren't able to get Von Maur (supposedly the Nordstrom of the Midwest) and Macy's for their anchors. That makes me a little skeptical about how great this project is going to be. Being in their home town, you would think Macy's would jump right on that location if it was that great.

One thing that makes Easton work is that it is a destination, and in Columbus you can get to basically everything within 30 minutes. Given the terrain in Cincinnati, a drive up there would seem to be a little bit of a chore. I don't know how all the entertainment and restaurants are going to fare for that reason.
My understanding of Macy's is the top brass and the thought leaders of the outfit are NYC based. Operations and back office employees are HQ'd in Cincy. In that regard, can Macy's really be considered a Cincinnati-based company? I get it, their official address is Cincy but if the big wigs are constantly in NYC do they really give a hoot about local retail in the Queen City?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
Easton is a once in a generation project. It is very difficult to get enough critical mass to put something like that together. I see it being more like The Greene than like Easton. How are you going to get everything from offices, to upscale retailers to car dealers all in the same place. (Although I noticed that Germain, the car dealer at Easton, is now in Beavercreek.)

Easton is still expanding - the Gateway just opened as a mini Easton and I noticed Dick's and Jos A. Banks moved across the street to the new project. Whole Foods, Field and Stream and Costco there too.

I like the project, but remember one thing: People who live in high priced homes don't want to live around places like Easton. Easton, The Greene, Liberty and all the rest of them will follow the normal lifecycle of new, --> mature --> Ghetto like all the rest.
Quote:
You can already see it happening near Easton. I remember one time in particular across the street from Easton at the Wal-mart parking lot. It was like 5 degrees outside and some middle aged man driving an old rusted out Cutlass Supreme with the windows down is blasting his Dr. Dre album while driving up and down the parking aisles. The sound system had to be 5x the cost of the car. I don't know if he was trying to impress the ghetto ladies with his ghetto approach or what, but the whole scene was just awkward. On one side of the street I'm drinking Pierre water while I pick up a gift from Tiffany's for my wife, and on the other side of the street I'm experiencing a "Boyz n the Hood" moment. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Keep in mind what was already surrounding the lot(s) that comprise Easton today. It was not always the best area a few miles west on Morse toward Columbus. Steiner has done a fairly effective job of building a halo around Easton with Abbott Labs and Huntington Bank's HQs to the South, various commercial and not-so-affordable luxury condos around the perimeter. Yes, the Wal-Mart north of Morse across the street is an eyesore but I'd be willing to wager more than half of Wal-Marts are eyesores, particularly urban-ish Wal-Marts. If Les Wexner viewed it as a sufficient threat he'd see to it the riff raff was expunged. But frankly, retail destinations like this always draw in some level of riff raff. Can't tell you how many times in the 90s I'd frequent Kenwood to see urban youth take the bus line up to the Town Center and loiter around. Not much you can do about it since you have to build these things near population centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati