Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM

549 posts, read 848,741 times

Advertisements

Crime in the UC area is down. It's been steadily declining for a few years. Those of us who've lived in the neighborhood for more than a few semesters know this. The media hype stating otherwise is incredibly obnoxious, irresponsible and reckless.

Here, go nuts: Crime Statistics, University of Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 03:00 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I am not sure what the UC Crime Stats are reporting, but, since they don't show a single aggravated robbery on the Crime Log for the entire 2014 year, despite the plethora reported in the news, it certainly is not pertinent to the discussion here.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I am not sure what the UC Crime Stats are reporting, but, since they don't show a single aggravated robbery on the Crime Log for the entire 2014 year, despite the plethora reported in the news, it certainly is not pertinent to the discussion here.
They're reporting ON CAMPUS crime. As a parent or grandparent, I wouldn't care if my kid was safe as a bug in a rug on campus if she couldn't get there without walking through some shady neighborhood a couple times a day. The prospect of my 18-year-old being robbed at gunpoint would be more than enough for me to send her screaming to .... Miami or UK. ::shudder::

Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I can't profess to be familiar with the state of the campus. I attended UC from 1957 to 1962. Have to say I was not worried about crime around the campus even though I was a commuter. My future wife attended for 2 years before deciding to go off to work and try to get us a stick of furniture to enjoy when we were married.

My two oldest children, a son and daughter also attended UC as commuters, and graduated. Since about 20 years had elapsed I was concerned about the reports of problems around the campus. But I don't recall any instances for either which were a problem.

As this thread as progressed, I keep asking myself What has changed? Other than the changes in society as a whole I don't know.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:20 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I can't profess to be familiar with the state of the campus. I attended UC from 1957 to 1962. Have to say I was not worried about crime around the campus even though I was a commuter. My future wife attended for 2 years before deciding to go off to work and try to get us a stick of furniture to enjoy when we were married.

My two oldest children, a son and daughter also attended UC as commuters, and graduated. Since about 20 years had elapsed I was concerned about the reports of problems around the campus. But I don't recall any instances for either which were a problem.

As this thread as progressed, I keep asking myself What has changed? Other than the changes in society as a whole I don't know.

The neighborhood has changed. Come on, how can you compare the early 60s with today. I also graduated from UC in the 60s. The difference in the Clifton area is like night and day. I would not let either of my kids go to UC. I made them find a small town College, BGSU

Also, how wrong is the title of this thread? UC Loses Control of Student Security to Thugs UC is responsible for on campus security. It is the City of Cincinnati that has lost control to thugs!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
. . .

Also, how wrong is the title of this thread? UC Loses Control of Student Security to Thugs UC is responsible for on campus security. It is the City of Cincinnati that has lost control to thugs!

Well, we could debate that, but no need. UC has decided it for us.

UC has accepted responsibility for patrolling and securing the area off campus that is heavily populated by UC students. I think they have gone well beyond the federally mandated "Cleary" reporting area.

I applaud the efforts which include patrols, lighting, cameras, and others, but they have not yet won the battle with the thugs.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Mike1003... I have a younger daughter who went to a what you call a small town school, I think it was called BGSU. I tried my best for her to not go there, she already had an acceptance to UC Engineering. a smart girl. But she had been filled with the concept music is a noble profession and went to BGSU. She did graduate, after a couple of extra years and many more dollars than it should have taken.

You say the neighborhood around UC has changed. Yes, I know, which is the main reason I have not been back to campus other than a few times since I graduated. But who could have prevented that - certainly the combination of the University and the City. Being one of the largest employers in the City, UC, combined with the hospital terrain close to them, should have been much more adept at keeping the neighborhoods safe.

It basically falls to the fact the administration people in both UC and the hospitals have fallen down on the job of recognizing what safe neighborhoods near them are worth.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:40 AM

CINCINNATI —Three people were robbed, including two students, in two days near the University of Cincinnati campus.UC police said the first robbery happened about 1:45 a.m. Wednesday in the 2800 block of Euclid Avenue.
Investigators said two armed men approached the two victims, one of whom is a student, and stole their cellphones and a wallet. The men were described as black males, 5 feet 10 inches tall weighing 180 pounds, between 18-24 years old and wearing dark clothing.

3 robbed in separate robberies near UC campus | Local News - WLWT Home

Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Don't forget this from that story.

The robber was described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall with short, buzzed blonde hair and wearing a dark gray sweatshirt.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Don't forget this from that story.

The robber was described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall with short, buzzed blonde hair and wearing a dark gray sweatshirt.

Actually . . . no.

There were two armed robberies of UC students which I posted above. WLW joined this story with a snatch and grab story where someone grabbed a woman's wallet. She was not a student and it was not an armed robbery.

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-17-2015 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati