Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 AM

62 posts, read 298,176 times

Advertisements

Looking for information about Tuerck Builders/Building Company. They constructed homes in residential neighborhoods in Cincinnati (primarily west side) during the late 1930s. I have tried the library downtown and the old Cincinnati bookstore (both great resources by the way) -- but no luck. I've consulted the old fire insurance maps, city directories, etc. -- but nothing. Only place I haven't tried yet is the Historical Society at the Cincinnati Museum Center.

Anyone have any information or know anyone with the "Tuerck" surname? I'm pretty sure there's a plumbing company with the name of Tuerck still operating in Cincinnati...wonder if there is any relation. Many of the homes the Tuerck Building company constructed were a simple variety of the Tudor Revival. Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM

245 posts, read 1,273,135 times
Try the American Jewish Archives at Hebrew Union College.
American Jewish Archives

Even if the surname Tuerck is not of Jewish origin, they might have something if the investors, bankers, associates for Tuerck Builders were Jewish. Many of Cincinnati's earliest industrialist families were upper class German Jews, they were very assimilated (thought of themselves as more German than Jewish), and Ohio's immigrants of all origins / religions frequently chopped their surnames and in some cases outright changed their names altogether to give them "The Anglo Edge."

I also suggest AJA because I know a number of people who have found a goldmine of info on their 120 year old homes through the AJA.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 AM

245 posts, read 1,273,135 times
Don't forget UC's Library System..

University Libraries

Over the past century UC has swallowed up a number of colleges and institutions thus making their resources as rich if not moreso than the city itself.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 AM

62 posts, read 298,176 times
Default Tuerck Builders...

YoMikey617-

Thank you -- I will make it a point to check out both of those excellent resources. I know our house was indeed built by German workers -- and I knew some of the history of how much of Cincinnati was built by Germans -- but I always foolishly assumed that they were mostly German Catholics. Funny thing is, I've had some work done to the place that I didn't want to do myself (carpentry/masonry) -- and those new workers were old German men. During breaks, we would laugh and joke how their relatives probably built the house 70 years ago!

I'll let you know if I find out anything!

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati