Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times

Advertisements

Dang... that is sad.

No one at all?

Wishing you the best of luck CP! If I was closer I would help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
I recommend reaching out to your church. I know there would by dozens of such volunteers if I made one simple phone call to my church. Don't be shy---just ask them.

I'd also call my kids....it's the least those spoiled brats could do to help dear old Dad. Ha!

Call friends----that's what friends are for. Again, don't be shy---just ask them.

Neighbors? Unless you live way way way out in the boonies, everybody has neighbors....and people in the country are the nices ones of all.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I recommend reaching out to your church. I know there would by dozens of such volunteers if I made one simple phone call to my church. Don't be shy---just ask them.

I'd also call my kids....it's the least those spoiled brats could do to help dear old Dad. Ha!

Call friends----that's what friends are for. Again, don't be shy---just ask them.

Neighbors? Unless you live way way way out in the boonies, everybody has neighbors....and people in the country are the nices ones of all.

(Sigh)

FYI:

"Senior Retirement Community," "Senior Apartments," et al, is modernized pretty wording for modernized old folks' home.

CHURCHES:

Two churches, one Protestant one Catholic, have representatives in the place once a week for services. I hit up the Protestants first. They gave me one powerful cup of black coffee while explaining they didn't think they could take on any more people. The Catholic was asked for a contact suited for such matters. After observing that I made coffee in the microwave, I was presented with a left-over office coffee maker (buy your own coffee) and after about two years I'm still waiting for Catholic Social Services to come up with a referral to someone (they can't think of a suitable government agency).

KIDS:

Never had any. I suppose I could adopt someone, but that might be a hard sell.

FRIENDS:

I'm not from the area, and even if I were they'd be my age and maybe in worse shape if still alive.

NEIGHBORS:

That would be the other 150 people in this old folks' home. Well, I tell ya, there might be 75 cars in the parking lot, but a good many of them should not be on the road except under optimum conditions and some not at all if there's a value on other life on the road. The cars, however, will remain "available" because the old folks have to get errands and the like done somehow.... Now, this is not to say no one has ever offered to take me somewhere, but, you see, a taxi will happily take me (and anyone else half-way decent), so I'm not looking for someone to take me....

Thanks for taking the trouble to post a comment.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 04-24-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I see the problem and in fact have dealt with it with older relatives. I think even with an individual, you're probably going to be looking at paying someone $10 an hour or so, at a minimum. It's just not reasonable to expect to find a stranger to do this for free. That said, I think your best route is word of mouth. Some of the people in your building undoubtedly have people running errands for them, and some of those errands might even be combined with your errands. Is there a bulletin board where you could post a notice? I believe there are a LOT of people who would do this for you for even minimal spending money. You just have to find them.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I see the problem and in fact have dealt with it with older relatives. I think even with an individual, you're probably going to be looking at paying someone $10 an hour or so, at a minimum. It's just not reasonable to expect to find a stranger to do this for free. That said, I think your best route is word of mouth. Some of the people in your building undoubtedly have people running errands for them, and some of those errands might even be combined with your errands. Is there a bulletin board where you could post a notice? I believe there are a LOT of people who would do this for you for even minimal spending money. You just have to find them.
Actually she is willing to pay someone for their time. She mentioned that to me a PM and I believe earlier on in this message string. I would help her out if I was living in my home in Covington right now but I am stuck in Indy for a few more months while I get some debt paid off and get a couple of things done at the house that have to be done before it can be occupied.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:13 PM

What about asking a health care worker, or if it's against the home's rules, how about making an arrangement with one of them to have one of their 16-20 year old kids to come over? No one would know who their mom/dad is...they're old enough to drive, but young enough to demand a fair wage.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
What about asking a health care worker, or if it's against the home's rules, how about making an arrangement with one of them to have one of their 16-20 year old kids to come over? No one would know who their mom/dad is...they're old enough to drive, but young enough to demand a fair wage.

(Sigh, again)

It's not an "old folks' home" in the sense that you are reading into the description. It's a straight out apartment house for anyone 65 or older -- retired (getting decrepit) people who don't want to mow lawns, etc.

The only "health care worker" that ever regularly heads to the apartment underfoot is the primary care visiting physician that shows up about every five or six weeks to check on how things are.

To explain further:

The illustrious State of Ohio once established that I was capable of being a social worker (among other things), so I know a little about things like United Way funded agencies and state systems.

A lot of less official groups -- unions, alumni associations, fraternal groups, even straight out commercial businesses -- take on projects of a socially beneficial nature. I posted the message in the hopes that someone knew of some more obscure organization that might fit the objective.

[Yes.... If I get one more begging letter from my alumni association telling me to join in helping these poor kids in Cincinnati (Uh, was I saying something to the contact about something else?) I think I'll find the time to write to a university president with a few irritated words even if it's delivered after I'm dead.]

Again, thanks for the comment.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM

Uber might be a possibility:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-n...171242971.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati