Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are planning a summer road trip to Cincy to visit family there. We live in the Tampa Bay, FL area. Anyone ever drive from FL to Cincy? If so, any recommended routes or things to look out for? Traveling with 3 kids and this will be our first time visiting Ohio so any good sights or eats to have, please let me know. I am a foodie . Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Cincinnati-style chili is perhaps the one food item most associated with the city. While there are fast food options (Skyline, Gold Star), Camp Washington Chili is Cincinnati's only James Beard Foundation America's Classics restaurant.

Camp Washington Chili - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also check out Graeter's, whose French pot ice cream is ranked among the best in the U.S.

Graeter's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2015, 01:40 PM

172 posts, read 254,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hi there,
We are planning a summer road trip to Cincy to visit family there. We live in the Tampa Bay, FL area. Anyone ever drive from FL to Cincy? If so, any recommended routes or things to look out for? Traveling with 3 kids and this will be our first time visiting Ohio so any good sights or eats to have, please let me know. I am a foodie . Thanks in advance for your help!
Drive it a couple times a year from Venice, FL. I-75 all the way.

Many great places to see and eat here in Cincy.

Have fun!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
The best advice I can give is to buy this book:

Along Interstate 75 by Dave Hunter | 9781896819389 | Other Format | Barnes & Noble

Dave Hunter is THE expert on the I-75 drive. He has great and honest write ups of every place along the way. In fact, his model was so successful, it spawned not only numerous directly competing guides about I-75, but also even more guides for a lot of other interstates like I-95.

I know in today's culture we are both book averse and spending money averse, but buying this book will certainly not be a waste for this trip. Everything from what restaurants are at the next exit to how to get to that awesome tourist site 5 or 10 miles off the drive is detailed.

Don't make the drive without Dave!!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM

172 posts, read 254,782 times
And check out this website ...... www.roadtrippers.com ........ you can plan your trip ....search for food/lodging, offbeat attractions, etc. ....... they have a smartphone app you might want to download.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:30 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Coming up 75N with 3 kids, I'd recommend getting off on the 1st Exit after crossing the Ohio River, and walk around The Banks and the Riverfront. Walk up the walking path to the Purple People Bridge, (the longest pedestrian-only bridge in the U.S.) which connects Ohio to Kentucky. The kids will love walking over the river....and it has some of the best views of downtown.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Cincinnati is a very good museum city relative to similar sized metros. Natural History Museum / Kids Museum at Union Terminal is great, Underground Railroad Museum and art museum are also nice. A new attraction that is cool is the duck boat

Ride The Ducks Newport - Newport Duck Tours

Old 04-23-2015, 07:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cincinnati is a very good museum city relative to similar sized metros. Natural History Museum / Kids Museum at Union Terminal is great, Underground Railroad Museum and art museum are also nice. A new attraction that is cool is the duck boat

Ride The Ducks Newport - Newport Duck Tours
Our kids loved the Duck Boat tour----the entrance into the river was a thrill. Plus, the tour guide gave a great Cinti history lesson.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM

610 posts, read 797,517 times
If you're a foodie there are plenty of amazing restaurants in town, though I'm not so sure how easy some of them are to eat at with kids. Here's a link, wouldn't hurt to call ahead for these places as wait times can be long on weekend nights

Best restaurants Cincinnati, OH

Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM

236 posts, read 319,315 times
Head down to the Banks and take the kids to Smale Riverfront Park. There are some good resturants there.

If you don't mind places that have recently gentrified, take the kids to Washington Park and sample some of the best local resturants on Main St in Over the Rhine. It's perfrectly safe.

Another good food option is Mecklenburg Gardens if you like German food.

I'll second the suggestion for the Museums. They are all located in the city's beautiful train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: