Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
"Lil old?" It feels to me like someone is threatened by their faster growing, more progressive neighbor (which has a lot more national buzz). No one brought up Louisville but you.

One thing about Cincinnati people....so so defensive! That in and of itself tells you something. I actually like Cincinnati. But I need to be honest to a young person looking to move. I think the OP would do better in Austin or Nashville. If they want bigger, try Portland, Seattle, Denver, or even Boston or DC.

Having lived in Cincinnati and knowing the city very well, I stand by my opinions. Many others agree.
Just curious, when did you live here, what part of town, and for how long? You're OF COURSE welcome to your opinions, but I disagree with a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 PM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGirl98 View Post
I'm a young single girl whose going to move next summer and I was wondering what Cincy is like. I like cities that have a lot of character and a cool vibe. I was wondering if I would like living there. Whats the COL, Crime, weather, dating scene, race relations/social life and everyday life out like in Cincy? Whats the people and culture like? Thanks

About Me:
-I grew up in lower/middle class so I'm cool with places that are gritty
-I like to think I have a decent amount of street smarts
-I listen to Punk/Rock music
-I'd like a city with good public transmit or one that's walkable
-I'm liberal
-I'm not religious
-Originally from Southern California
- Cost of living is fairly low, although it is increasing in parts of downtown and OTR.

- I'd put crime slightly above average, but not too dangerous. I nor anyone I know ever had a bad incident during the years I lived there.

- Weather is humid during the summers, winters are cold but it's rare to see a big snow.

- Dating scene can be a little difficult, most people are pretty insular and tend to hang out with their high school or college friends. It's easier to feel like an outsider, but when you finally become close to people they'll be your friend until the end of time.

- Race relations aren't fantasic, as previous people mentioned there was a riot and decade ago and the conservative talk radio station in town is quite hateful and borderline racist. Neighborhoods are segregated but due to the cities hilly terrain they are all close together. But it's not like some cities where the train tracks divide between races.

- As others have said, you'll know most of the people in your scene (and that goes for most things in the city, if you like to ride your bike, you'll probably end up joining the Urban Basin Bike Club and know most of the regulars). That's not necessarily a bad thing though, I kind of miss that aspect of the city.

- The general culture is conservative and Midwestern with some Southerness thrown in. There's a hint of Eastern culture thrown in. Not sure if this is because of the cities age or if it's just more of a corporate culture (but again this is a small part of the cultural identity). People in the city tend to love the baseball team and be apethetic about the football team. The city feels small but is old (and insular) enough to have it's own local chains that don't exist out of the area which I always thought was pretty neat. There are alot of religous people in the area, but I don't think it's necessarily looked down on to not be religous as long as you are respectful and not putting people down.

- I love the vibe of the city. Downtown and the neighborhoods that are within say 2 miles tend to be mid to late 19th century housing and layout. It's amazing that the city was able to preserve as much as it has. There is a rich history of the area that is being rediscovered day by day. There is some very cool stuff happening in the local beer industry if that interests you. There is grit, but in a very good way. Each neighborhood has it's own vibe.

- Public transit is pretty barebones, but there really isn't much traffic in the city and there is ample parking. But there are many very walkable neighborhoods, you'll just need to drive between them. Downtown, OTR, and Pendleton are connected, but you'll need to bike to get to Northside or drive to get to any of the other neighborhoods due to the hills.

I'd suggest visting and going through some on the neighborhoods like OTR, Pendleton, Northside, and Clifton. If any of those just blow you away with their charm stick around and see what you think.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:30 PM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Quote:
Whoa...now this is harsh. Cincy is actually a pretty cool place. My three favorite cities in this region of middle America are Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. None of these cities can compare to what is going on in Nashville or Austin or Portland though. Only Louisville is starting to get on a "faster growth" trajectory. The fact that posters here keep bringing up Louisville shows a little growth and hip envy IMO. Louisville has the buzz and the tourists and now the bourbon industry just booming. Cincinnati needs to find her modern identity

The problem with Cincy is it lives like (and often acts like) a collection of small towns, despite all its east coast esque looking 3 flats and urban "looking" commercial districts. Combine all these little "villages" like MT adams, Hyde Park, Northside, Clifton, downtown, OTR, etc, and you have a pretty cool urban area with cross density. Left alone and isolated, most these areas are just not that vibrant and "big city" ish. Part of this was that Cincinnati was built for a population over twice its size.

I just mentioned a few cons to Cincy and I think most would agree. I also provided factual data. So I see what goyguy is trying to say. But he is taking it to a whole new level.

To me, Cincy's turnaround started with 3CDC and the renovation of Fountain Square in 2005. That was kind of a tipping point, that hey, we can be a cool city. Then OTR properties were bought by 3CDC and things have vastly improved in the last decade. Personally, I hope Cincy continues to improve as I will be spending more time there both at the airport and in town for business.
I think it's less envy and more annoyance the fact that you tend to inject Louisville into every conversation and post you make no matter how far it is off topic.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I think it's less envy and more annoyance the fact that you tend to inject Louisville into every conversation and post you make no matter how far it is off topic.
() Yes. Hopefully (and with kindness) that city will disappear from discussion on this Cincinnati thread/forum.

Last edited by motorman; 06-12-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 05:18 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Louisville is a pretty nice town. I used to spend quite a bit of time there for work. Any comparisons to Cincinnati are like comparing apples and oranges, because other than being in somewhat the same area of the country and being river towns, there's not much in common. Especially of note is the MUCH smaller size of Louisville's metro area. Not a good thing or a bad thing, just a "don't compare" thing.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Louisville is a pretty nice town. I used to spend quite a bit of time there for work. Any comparisons to Cincinnati are like comparing apples and oranges, because other than being in somewhat the same area of the country and being river towns, there's not much in common. Especially of note is the MUCH smaller size of Louisville's metro area. Not a good thing or a bad thing, just a "don't compare" thing.
You are wrong. Dead wrong. Theres tons in common. Any one who has lived in both would see. The arts, festivals, german/irish, parochial schools, restaurants, neighborhood focus, historic architecture, weather, river, demographics., and even politics of greater metro region (cincy more conservative though)The size isnt as different as you say. 2.1 million vs 1.3 million. There are several areas around Louisville which would add amdbring it to 1.5-1.6 million but are not included. Both cities are still in the~1-2 million range (Louisville's MSA covers a much smaller geographic area) and the real difference is Louisville lacks Mason sprawlburbs

Bear in mind I never brought up Louisville on this thread.

People didn't like what I had to say so they tried to Louisville bash which is fine. The data, numbers, and national buzz speak volumes.

Now, lets get back to topic. I just feel there are better places than Cincy for the OP.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Cincinnati is a nice city in general not as violent as people say but overall region is conservative in nature socially and politically and Cincinnati is a corporate city very business orientated with P@G and a lot of fortune 500 companies in town, what type of job are you looking for? I used to live in Columbus OH, I have been to Cincinnati a lot, I have family in Mason OH a northern burb in Warren County. You should just visit it to see if you like it. Visit Nashville, TN as well if you like Cincinnati, we have a lot of California transplants here due to the corporations and the music scene. Check Cincinnati out for a week and drive around and see if you like it

Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
wrong. you guys crucified me for not saying 100% positives on cincy.

I brought up Louisville a couple other times and thats it. I truly believe it is a much more hip, active, growing scene for young people and artistic types. I stand by this and so do many national publications.

Then everytime I comment theres some sarcastic comment or jab at Louisville. It doesnt hurt me. Louisville recent development spurt and very hip scence speaks for itself.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cincinnati is a nice city in general not as violent as people say but overall region is conservative in nature socially and politically and Cincinnati is a corporate city very business orientated with P@G and a lot of fortune 500 companies in town, what type of job are you looking for? I used to live in Columbus OH, I have been to Cincinnati a lot, I have family in Mason OH a northern burb in Warren County. You should just visit it to see if you like it. Visit Nashville, TN as well if you like Cincinnati, we have a lot of California transplants here due to the corporations and the music scene. Check Cincinnati out for a week and drive around and see if you like it
Nashville would be a better fit IMO. Columbus is by far the most educated, hip, progressive, and growing region in Ohio now

Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Nashville would be a better fit IMO. Columbus is by far the most educated, hip, progressive, and growing region in Ohio now
Columbus is nothing like Cincinnati at all. Columbus is actually really socialyl liberal and progressive if you can stand all the Buckeye fans. Nashville is conservative in nature because a lot of citizens are religious but we have also have way more transplants than Cincinnati gets so it is easier to make friends here. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. I like Cincinnati to visit but not to live its not my cup of tea but its not a bad place by any means.. just don't think the OP would like it based on your criteria thats why I told her to visit Ciny and drive around and see if she likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati