Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times

Advertisements

I have long curiously observed a sort of reluctance by some folks to go across the river. (I know it is two different states.) ...But, where I'm from the town is spread out over the convergence of three rivers and a creek -- if one went anywhere one presumed to need to cross a bridge and go to the other side. ...And, maybe watch the airplanes and think about space exploration.

Yesterday for the fabulous reason of curiosity I dug out the site below, and the map there (it's down the page a bit) and the dates given were an absolute revelation not only regarding the above (to me) unusual attitude but loads more, like an absolutely overwhelming number of news items, attitudes of my Indiana relatives, endless references to racism and much more.

So, I leave it for the more intelligent elements of this forum to look at those dates (like 1967) and locations and come to some helpful conclusions for these discussions. (One person that comes to mind is a gentleman who lives elsewhere and seems to hate Cincinnati as being too conservative, while judging by the map Cincinnati can be as conservative as it likes since the state is liberal.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

Now, case in point: people born in 1940 are currently 75 years old. Until they were about 28 years old racial intermarriage was illegal in a third of the nation and, during their childhood, in two-thirds of it. A mixed couple now in their "senior" years had jolly well stay north of the river when they were young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:03 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Casting my vote for shutting down and expunging this thread. Everyone knows the direction it is going to go.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Casting my vote for shutting down and expunging this thread. Everyone knows the direction it is going to go.
Please explain.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
The thread will be closed if it turns bad, but until it does - I see no reason to close it.
Yac.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:19 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
I'm at a loss as to what you want discussed. I don't see a question and I'm not sure what you want helpfully concluded?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I think this is supposed to be some kind of differences between Kentucky and Ohio thing, but am not sure.

Additionally, if that is the direction we were supposed to be going, we've alread had numerous discussions that "Cinci" =/= Ohio, so I would similarly assume that "northern KY "=/= Kentucky.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
The thread will be closed if it turns bad, but until it does - I see no reason to close it.
Yac.
Thank you. Should that time come along, feel free to do so.

And, for those above a bit confused:

As I read through these messages, I, personally, see many that say things like, "We're Asian. Where will we fit in best?" It seems to me that among other things people want to know about cultural differences. Some of that is based on laws. I thought I provide some concrete numbers (and locational names) on which to base a good comment for an idea about attitudes for those that were not aware of the numbers (and names) as well as space for those that want to go into more details.

And, incidentally, some of it is also based on history. Someone sitting in Dallas contemplating a job at P&G might be surprised to know that technically "the Old West" is everything east of the Mississippi river to the mountains. Some vestiges of that are still around, as in the expression "Queen City."

(If you are still at a loss, try pulling out some of the stuff from WILW.)

Old 06-15-2015, 03:26 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Thank you. Should that time come along, feel free to do so.

And, for those above a bit confused:

As I read through these messages, I, personally, see many that say things like, "We're Asian. Where will we fit in best?" It seems to me that among other things people want to know about cultural differences. Some of that is based on laws. I thought I provide some concrete numbers (and locational names) on which to base a good comment for an idea about attitudes for those that were not aware of the numbers (and names) as well as space for those that want to go into more details.

And, incidentally, some of it is also based on history. Someone sitting in Dallas contemplating a job at P&G might be surprised to know that technically "the Old West" is everything east of the Mississippi river to the mountains. Some vestiges of that are still around, as in the expression "Queen City."

(If you are still at a loss, try pulling out some of the stuff from WILW.)
Please call me confused. I'm not sure how I um, "fit" into this discussion. :-)

I will add the following though it has nothing to do with Cincy but Indy. Have heard from some people in Indy that I don't fit in. Not sure what they mean by that. Never heard that in Connecticut or Minnesota or even in Missouri and Kansas. Have not heard it in Cincy either.

And today I did hear a comment from someone here in Indy along the lines of "Oh, you're white. I guess we'll have you around here". Never heard this kind of garbage in any of the other places I just mentioned either. Something is really wrong with the people in the Indianapolis metro area.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
This thread going bad shouldn't be a problem since no one can figure out what the OP's point is, if there is indeed a point at all.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:25 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This thread going bad shouldn't be a problem since no one can figure out what the OP's point is, if there is indeed a point at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: