Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,713 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but after some research this is about as balanced and reasonable as a neighborhood of a mid-sized city can be in the Midwest. Any other neighborhoods like this in the region or the US in general?

Affordable, walkable with lots of shopping options, low crime, not mega dense but not sprawled. Perhaps could be more diverse and less conservative, but not a major problem

Should I consider living here? (visiting for certain)

Pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I don't think there are a lot of folks on this board that are going to tell you much negative about Oakley, its consistently pretty recommended here.

As far as its comparison to other neighborhoods in the US; sorry, but population statistics isn't my specialty so I'm afraid I've got very little info on that. I would say that most mid-sized cities have similar type neighborhoods, and the cost of those neighborhoods likely depends a lot on what city they're attached to.

As Cinci is still relatively moderately priced (except for some insanity in OTR; the Banks, the Ascent and a few of the premiere neighborhoods/subdivisions) - it would not be surprising that you would find pleasant neighborhoods within the city that are what you consider to be a good value.

I'm sure others will be along soon with much more specific info.. in the meantime, hope you enjoy your visit.

Almost forgot - do you have a job offer? Or are you able to work from home? Always confused by folks that post as though they could just pick up and move anywhere in the country on a whim.. I'm pretty dependent upon working for a living, and the industry I work in only really exists in a few scattered pockets throughout the country. So if, for instance, I fell in love with Louisville (which actually, I quite like) - I'd never be able to live there, because I'd have no way to support myself.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparochialismus View Post
I could be wrong, but after some research this is about as balanced and reasonable as a neighborhood of a mid-sized city can be in the Midwest. Any other neighborhoods like this in the region or the US in general?

Affordable, walkable with lots of shopping options, low crime, not mega dense but not sprawled. Perhaps could be more diverse and less conservative, but not a major problem

Should I consider living here? (visiting for certain)

Pros and cons?
Not sure I've ever heard Oakley called conservative. Might not be one the most liberal parts of the city but it's not one the more conservative parts...other than it's next to Hyde Park.

As Briolat mentioned, Oakley is a great neighborhood and is always recommended on here. It has a great business district, highly rated elementary schools, safe and it's great location. The few cons I can come up with are that there are some streets that are not so nice (Parts of Roberston Ave and Brotherton Rd) and the traffic can be bad on Madison and will only get worse with all the new development at Oakley Station.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM

26 posts, read 30,744 times
I'm newer to Cincy,have lived in different parts of Ohio, Florida and Minneapolis and have been looking at a lot of different parts of Cincy and here's my thoughts. Oakley is pretty awesome for all the reasons that have already been stated. The downside I have seen are the smaller yards but if you're Ok w/ that then you'll love it. I know a lot of ppl looking for homes there. I think you're traffic will increase somewhat with all the new shoppes but you'll have more shopping options nearby as well. You may also want to look at Pleasant Ridge. You'll get bigger homes/yards for the money and just north of Oakley Station. A little further from the city but not far from Oakley. It has a little shopping/restaurant area nearby that is walkable but not as nice as Oakley.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:00 AM

68 posts, read 72,197 times
I've been doing some research in this part of the country too. I wonder what you and others think of the handful of towns on the other side of the border, south west of Covington along 25. I'm told these areas are quite safe, they get pretty great grades all around etc. The houses are, I can say with quite a bit of certainty, very affordable compared to what I have found in several other cities I've researched all over the US.

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:40 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanp35comcast View Post
I've been doing some research in this part of the country too. I wonder what you and others think of the handful of towns on the other side of the border, south west of Covington along 25. I'm told these areas are quite safe, they get pretty great grades all around...etc. The houses are, I can say with quite a bit of certainty, very affordable compared to what I have found in several other cities I've researched all over the US.
Not to criticize your interest in these towns, but such a discussion warrants another thread, otherwise it will divert this one.

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:41 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 10:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_boxster View Post
I'm newer to Cincy,have lived in different parts of Ohio, Florida and Minneapolis and have been looking at a lot of different parts of Cincy and here's my thoughts. Oakley is pretty awesome for all the reasons that have already been stated... ...You may also want to look at Pleasant Ridge. You'll get bigger homes/yards for the money and just north of Oakley Station. A little further from the city but not far from Oakley. It has a little shopping/restaurant area nearby that is walkable but not as nice as Oakley.
Agreed. Although Oakley and Pleasant Ridge may share several positive attributes in general (for example, both are centrally located within Cincinnati proper), they're dissimilar in one important way: ie, while Oakley is revitalizing itself by the day in transcendence of a blue-collar past, Pleasant Ridge is merely treading water in its struggle to recreate a former self of decades ago. And let's not forget that while Oakley is neighbored by Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/East Walnut Hills plus the Rookwood/Oakley Station shopping complexes, Pleasant Ridge (although neighbored by Amberley Village) borders Kennedy Heights/Golf Manor/ northeast Norwood and the Ridge Road shopping strip. (A case of no contest?)

Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 PM

124 posts, read 138,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Not sure I've ever heard Oakley called conservative. Might not be one the most liberal parts of the city but it's not one the more conservative parts...other than it's next to Hyde Park.

As Briolat mentioned, Oakley is a great neighborhood and is always recommended on here. It has a great business district, highly rated elementary schools, safe and it's great location. The few cons I can come up with are that there are some streets that are not so nice (Parts of Roberston Ave and Brotherton Rd) and the traffic can be bad on Madison and will only get worse with all the new development at Oakley Station.
I'll agree with all the above except the great elementary schools (public). That was the reason we did not move to Oakley. kilgour is the only good option I could find and that is mainly Hyde Park.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM

26 posts, read 30,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed. Although Oakley and Pleasant Ridge may share several positive attributes in general (for example, both are centrally located within Cincinnati proper), they're dissimilar in one important way: ie, while Oakley is revitalizing itself by the day in transcendence of a blue-collar past, Pleasant Ridge is merely treading water in its struggle to recreate a former self of decades ago. And let's not forget that while Oakley is neighbored by Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/East Walnut Hills plus the Rookwood/Oakley Station shopping complexes, Pleasant Ridge (although neighbored by Amberley Village) borders Kennedy Heights/Golf Manor/ northeast Norwood and the Ridge Road shopping strip. (A case of no contest?)
That is true. That is current state. What is future state? None of us know for sure however Oakley Station is rapidly expanding and the closest nice areas to that are Oakley, HP, then Pleasant Ridge. My bet is that Pleasant Ridge will have some momentum to revitalize and if it does will see higher appreciation than Oakley as Oakley is a sure bet and already seen prices rise. A lot of P&Gers are buying in Pleasant Ridge b/c it's a good value. Oakley Station being so close will help it appreciate IMO.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I'll agree with all the above except the great elementary schools (public). That was the reason we did not move to Oakley. kilgour is the only good option I could find and that is mainly Hyde Park.
Actually, Oakley is served by Hyde Park School. It was reopened 4 years ago to fill the demand of Oakley & Hyde Park parents who wanted a great school in their neighborhood.

Hyde Park School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati