Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,033,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Just because its Transportation doesn't mean it has to look like Crap. Nothing wrong with a functional system (yet to be proven) embracing the heritage of a community or going for an upscale look at least. That hideous looking bus is just missing some graffiti to have that nice Philly/NYC look, but I am sure it will be coming along soon enough to complete the picture.
^ ...where's my wack-a-mole sledgehammer when I really need it?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:24 PM

124 posts, read 138,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
I was hoping they would at least design the Street Car with a vintage look that would blend into the city-scape better, maybe a German look or even the SF street car trolley type of design, not an ugly ass City bus looking thing.
I'm not going to complain about it but they certainly could have done more. Red was always the color that came to mind when I thought of Cincinnati (the Reds I guess). I agree, vintage would have been cool and may even get more novelty riders.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:31 PM

14,720 posts, read 14,692,694 times
People just have to get accustomed to it. Collisions between cars and streetcars in San Francisco are extremely rare, because people know to look for them.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 20,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I'm not going to complain about it but they certainly could have done more. Red was always the color that came to mind when I thought of Cincinnati (the Reds I guess). I agree, vintage would have been cool and may even get more novelty riders.
Two big problems with the vintage cars- 1. They generally aren't ADA compliant, so you have to retrofit a wheelchair lift which takes up space in the interior of the car and slows down boarding and 2. The capacity on the vintage cars is much less than on the modern cars. A PCC car could hold about half of what Cincinnati's modern cars do.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 AM

95 posts, read 102,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbw View Post
Two big problems with the vintage cars- 1. They generally aren't ADA compliant, so you have to retrofit a wheelchair lift which takes up space in the interior of the car and slows down boarding and 2. The capacity on the vintage cars is much less than on the modern cars. A PCC car could hold about half of what Cincinnati's modern cars do.
you're optimistic!

and, why would a newly built vintage looking streetcar need to be retrofitted?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 AM

95 posts, read 102,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
Mallory called it a driver of new development. Which it has proven to be many times over. It's primary purpose is transportation around the basin (formerly to uptown before it came into contact with Kasich's unending wisdom). I'm not sure how the streetcar could be called an "advertisement" other than the actual advertisement space in and on the vehicles. This city seems full of sore losers.
thanks. i didn't quite think he called it advertisement. obviously the ridership impact isn't felt yet, but time will tell if it's best feature was a neighborhood booster

Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,033,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
Mallory called it a driver of new development. Which it has proven to be many times over. It's primary purpose is transportation around the basin (formerly to uptown before it came into contact with Kasich's unending wisdom). I'm not sure how the streetcar could be called an "advertisement" other than the actual advertisement space in and on the vehicles. This city seems full of sore losers.
Yeah, let's do talk about advertising space in and on the vehicles - such as this big news just in from the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Cincinnati Bell buys streetcar naming rights

Old 08-19-2016, 03:37 PM

17,639 posts, read 13,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...er-budget.html

"After years of criticism and predictions of financial disaster, the city of Cincinnati and its streetcar managers have largely completed the $148 million project, and the city will have spent $2.5 million less than anticipated when the budget was approved in 2013, according to a memo signed by City Manager Harry Black."

Nearly all the advertising has been sold too!

Streetcar is set to open in about a month on Friday 9/9/16!
BFD, it still goes nowhere and will be a traveling shelter for the homeless within a year

Old 08-19-2016, 04:44 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,157,577 times
LMAO - Fanboys of Cincinnati's little choo-choo. What a waste.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,159,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
BFD, it still goes nowhere and will be a traveling shelter for the homeless within a year
Maybe it would've went somewhere it if Ohio had less people with regressive mindset. States and Cities with a progressive mindset and attitude are the highly desired places experiencing growth while Ohio keeps treading water even though it has an advantage of a low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati