Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

They won't make money. Everything expensive they sell where they could bring up margins is going to be cheaper at Walmart and Amazon home delivery. So they are just a big bodega without the money makers like pot smoking supplies and cheapo liquor products and knock off snacks.

But, its all about introducing those college students to Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 04:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Uh, are you from Cincinnati? One might find more thugs in Winton Terrace or East Price Hill, but, the 1 mile area around the new Target store will be a good place to start to find property crime. I'd put that 1 mile radius up against any other place in Cincinnati for theft of property which is what I referred to. Probably number 1.
You might have a point if you include a 1 miles radius, but the immediate area is pretty safe. Once the Shell station is gone, it'll be no different than a trip to the suburbs, which is the goal of the type of developments they're putting in.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
You might have a point if you include a 1 miles radius, but the immediate area is pretty safe. Once the Shell station is gone, it'll be no different than a trip to the suburbs, which is the goal of the type of developments they're putting in.

My patio doesn't have ants on it much until I drop a big piece of cake.

All they have done is to create a target rich environment. That is why one cannot walk home at night just three blocks from that store without being relieved of one's cell phone, credit card and dignity. UC had it right in stepping up enforcement in the area immediately surrounding the campuses. Sadly, brother DuBose put an end to all of that with his antics. They probably have the lowest enforcement level at UC right now since the days when crybaby liberal do-gooder Warren Bennis was babysitting the thugs and thugettes.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Wilson513's comments have zero basis in fact. Contact any UC area pizza place and robberies are incredibly rare. About 1 per 100,000 deliveries. How do I know? Because I have worked for an uptown restaurant that has only had 3 drivers robbed in the past 9 years I have worked there.

We had one guy robbed on Fosdick back around 2010, one who was carjacked in 2011 or 2012 on Warner, and another carjacking last year on Flora. Nobody was hurt. Both cars were recovered the same night.

The only place who has had a driver seriously hurt was China Food. I heard through the grapevine that he was put on a plane back to China because he was working illegally in the United States.

Meanwhile, I have lived in Clifton Heights for the past 10 years. My car has been parked on the street every night for 10 years. One break-in. They got nothing because nothing was in the car.

Yet in Wilson513's fantasy land, great gangs of black teenagers roam the area raping and firing their guns and setting fires.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Despite Jacob's red herring remarks citing positions that I did not express, anyone who thinks the areas surrounding the new Target location, UC Campus, Corryville, Mt. Auburn, and the Clifton Heights areas are not the most crime ridden in Cincinnati as to property crimes is just out to lunch. I could waste time on this by educating our young friend or introduce him to crime statistics resources, but why?

Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
The area is District 5 which has 1,362 total property crime YTD 2017 which is 3rd worst this year per Cincinnati Police.

D3 has 2,572
D4 has 1,451
D5 has 1,362
D2 has 1,325
D1 has 862
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...-stars-report/

I personally don't trust the crime map websites, but I have to agree with Jake (and other posters) here. The idea that this part of Cincinnati is some sort of hell hole is absurd. The only way you can think that is if you haven't spent much time along Calhoun/McMillian recently and you're stuck in the with old and out dated notion that the area is dangerous. I'm sure Target, a major American company that is currently bucking the trend of brick-and-mortar struggles wouldn't open a store where there would be a major risk.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
I hope the small format Target store is better than the one I recently shopped at in the Rosslyn, VA at 1500 Wilson Blvd. I did not like the store format and the merchandise mix was weak.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Despite Jacob's red herring remarks citing positions that I did not express, anyone who thinks the areas surrounding the new Target location, UC Campus, Corryville, Mt. Auburn, and the Clifton Heights areas are not the most crime ridden in Cincinnati as to property crimes is just out to lunch. I could waste time on this by educating our young friend or introduce him to crime statistics resources, but why?
I'd love to hear stories from shop owners over on Hyde Park Square:
https://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/02...lthy-shoplift/

Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
The area is District 5 which has 1,362 total property crime YTD 2017 which is 3rd worst this year per Cincinnati Police.

D3 has 2,572
D4 has 1,451
D5 has 1,362
D2 has 1,325
D1 has 862
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...-stars-report/

I personally don't trust the crime map websites, but I have to agree with Jake (and other posters) here. The idea that this part of Cincinnati is some sort of hell hole is absurd. The only way you can think that is if you haven't spent much time along Calhoun/McMillian recently and you're stuck in the with old and out dated notion that the area is dangerous. I'm sure Target, a major American company that is currently bucking the trend of brick-and-mortar struggles wouldn't open a store where there would be a major risk.
Tell that to the several hundred landlords in Canada who got stiffed when Target Canada filed bankruptcy. That's right, Target Canada filed bankruptcy and Target Corporation essentially packed up and left at night. They probably wouldn't do that in America, but then again who ever thought that Sears would be liquidating?

With regard to the statistics above, in what reality is a place that is number 3 in property crimes a desirable place to live and do business? You are also conveniently forgetting that they only track reported crimes. A lot of people don't bother to report property crimes because they know the police don't have the manpower to actually do anything about them.

P.S. do you know what this is? This is the 10-year old Eastland Mall store in Columbus that Macy's just closed. They also did that in Pittsburgh and apparently are going to be doing that in downtown Cincinnati as well. Big companies don't always make good real estate decisions.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 07-24-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I hope the small format Target store is better than the one I recently shopped at in the Rosslyn, VA at 1500 Wilson Blvd. I did not like the store format and the merchandise mix was weak.
Like I said, it sounds like Woolworths or a large Dollar General to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati