Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickslinger View Post
Tri County Mall redid their redevelopment plan for the fourth time in four or five years. Things aren't looking good for this mall if their management is this terrible.
Latest plan for Tri-County Mall: Dine-in theater and 'mini major' retail anchors - Insider - Story
Also, where was the former Disney store in Tri County Mall? I didn't know they had one at one point. Was it in the Macy's wing, Sear's wing?
Dine-in theaters usually don't last long and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of hoodies up there? I haven't been there in a while, but if Tri-County is like other mid-tier malls these days, it should should just be bulldozed like Beechmont.

If you remember what was going on in most cities during the 1970's, people were afraid to shop in their downtowns and that's why malls became popular. These days, aging malls in has-been locations tend to attract a lot of hoodies with guns and people don't feel as safe as they did. In turn, they stop going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 13,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Dine-in theaters usually don't last long and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of hoodies up there? I haven't been there in a while, but if Tri-County is like other mid-tier malls these days, it should should just be bulldozed like Beechmont.
Indeed, there are teens and adults who act in such a manner. Tri County Mall also just looks dirty, and I don't care for the white paint job they have throughout the mall. I'd prefer a more 1990's Kenwood Mall look, where there was bronze, brown-ish gold color, etc.
It feels like the management of Tri-County Mall is grasping at straws, and not accepting that things won't work out at this point.

Quote:
If you remember what was going on in most cities during the 1970's, people were afraid to shop in their downtowns and that's why malls became popular. These days, aging malls in has-been locations tend to attract a lot of hoodies with guns and people don't feel as safe as they did. In turn, they stop going there.
Exactly, especially at Tri County Mall nowadays. Drug dealing is also a bad issue around there. I've heard that Forest Fair Mall was a violent place in the early to mid 1990's, and that's one of the reasons why the Mall started to fall apart (the main reason, as we all know, was the location and the terrible selection of stores during the Mall's "Cincinnati Mills" incarnation).

Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Exactly, especially at Tri County Mall nowadays. Drug dealing is also a bad issue around there. I've heard that Forest Fair Mall was a violent place in the early to mid 1990's, and that's one of the reasons why the Mall started to fall apart (the main reason, as we all know, was the location and the terrible selection of stores during the Mall's "Cincinnati Mills" incarnation).
Up here in Columbus, Eastland Mall is closest to where I live (my parents also live nearby). One day I was talking with my mother, and she was telling me how she still likes going to JCPenney there (which has since closed). I told her to not go there alone anymore because there have been a half-dozen shootings and an elderly woman makes an easy robbery/carjacking target.

JCPenney closed a few years ago. Macy's pulled out of a beautiful ten year old store earlier this year and Sears is in the process of closing. If people don't feel safe, they won't shop.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 AM

364 posts, read 716,176 times
Perry Mason, you sound like you live an extremely sheltered and paranoid life. While there really isn't much of a need to go to Tri-County, it is not unsafe.

However, Tri-County as with many other malls in the country is in a terrible position (you can practically hear the sucking sound from the drain). It's two anchor stores: Macy's and Sears are struggling, with Sears hanging on for dear life.

I'm interested to see how long Sears will remain open at Tri-County. The store looks extremely outdated and feels as if you've stepped back into 1993 when walking in there. Once Sears closes, that'll be several more nails in the coffin for Tri-County Mall.

About 10 years ago before I moved away and came back to Cincinnati, there seemed to be some level vibrancy there. I was surprised when I came back how much and how quickly the mall had folded up. Now walking through there is depressing; hardly any foot traffic and a constant turnover of small boutique style shops. There is basically nothing left on the wing housing Sears, literally nothing.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Perry Mason, you sound like you live an extremely sheltered and paranoid life. While there really isn't much of a need to go to Tri-County, it is not unsafe.
Not at all. There are just plenty of places to shop that are safe and without shootings, so why do I need to go to a place that has been taken over by hoodies? As a matter of fact, of the two Walmart stores both five miles away from me, I shop at the one in the hood. But that's different from a mall because if anything happens in a Walmart, you have plenty of places to escape. A mall is a fortress; in a mall, you're a sitting duck.

Take it from experience, all it takes is a few of these events and a mall's business dries up. And Tri-County has had those events. Example:

Three in custody after Tri-County Mall parking lot shooting - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Of course, you are correct that shopping patterns have changed and there are other things going on like the fact that it's hard to maneuver around, but Tri-County should still be competitive.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
We ate at BJs Monday night. Obviously, earlier in the evening. Lots of people in the restaurant (good beer and decent food)

I do not go into Tri-County Mall, other than the evil Spectrum cable shop. Or, directly from lot into Macy's (which I hear may close soon) or BJs

In winter when I mall walk, I carry my gun

Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We ate at BJs Monday night. Obviously, earlier in the evening. Lots of people in the restaurant (good beer and decent food)

I do not go into Tri-County Mall, other than the evil Spectrum cable shop. Or, directly from lot into Macy's (which I hear may close soon) or BJs

There is no need for that Macy's anymore. Cincinnati is well covered by the remaining ones, unless they feel they need to move over to Liberty Twp. or Bridgewater.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
Wow I go to Macys all the time at Tri-cty Hmm I guess I don't go to the bad part of the mall. However it is pretty dead in the maill. Like crickets
Quote:

Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 13,660 times
Quote:
Any sources on Macy's possibly closing? That does seem rather confusing, as the Tri County Mall Macy's just renovated their building, and have sounded rather resilient to remain open at the mall.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Any sources on Macy's possibly closing? That does seem rather confusing, as the Tri County Mall Macy's just renovated their building, and have sounded rather resilient to remain open at the mall.
They have closed a not-insignificant number of newish May Co. stores they inherited, including the Kaufmann's at Eastland, so whether the building was renovated or not probably won't make much of a difference.

Why would they waste money renovating Tri-County? They're going to be the only anchor store there in about 12 months. If they last that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati