Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,476 times

Advertisements

I used to live at 315 Sheehan, right up along I-75. I have been going to the Hamilton Co. Fair since I can remember. My fondest memory of the fair was the fact that i loved the ponies. I was scared of them though, if that makes any since. So i used to love to watch other people ride. I got a huge kick out of watching them go around in that circle having fun. Then at about ten year of age, I got tired of watching every year. It took a lot of courage, but I got on and now I love to ride horses.

http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif I also liked watching the crash derbys. I was a distructive child growing up so I thought that was just the coolest thing. As a teenager my parents could leave me there and know that I would be right where they left me as long as it didn't end before they got back.

http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif I used to go every year, even as an adult I take my kids. It is nothing like it used to be. I am am thirty years old on the third and I have been to the fair every year except the last few years due to my health. I want to thank you for even mentioning it. It has brought back a lot of great memories. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon12.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,473 times
Do you have all the Facts?

Do you go to the fair? do you go to the board meetings? Have you talked to all the Board Members? Can you name the Three?

Last edited by Yac; 05-07-2008 at 02:14 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Houston...are you asking me if I have the facts about a few board members wanting to relocate the Fair? Yes, I go to the Fair. Yes I have attended a few board meetings over the past few years, and I have talked to a few fair board members for and against the move. And yes, I can name MORE than just three board members.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 29,523 times
Default Think again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Just some additional information...Three Fair Board members asked for money from the State Capital Budget to move the Fair to a western Hamilton County location. The problem these three Board members explain is the crime on the evenings of the Fair and the "thugs" which try to get in about 10:30p each night and cause problems. They also want it off the busline. Carthage and Hartwell residents were insulted by that comment as we have some of hte lowest drime stats in the City and in Dist. 4. The biggest problem is these three Board members DID NOT take a vote on this proposed plan before moving forward with efforts to raise money for the move. There are 15 Board members and only 3 who want to move. The years of poor planning and non conforming to changing times has made the Hamilton COunty Fair less than impressive when compared to other Fairs. A new fresh board with new ideas needs to get involved. Check out Butler County Fair, they changed years ago when they lost most of their farm land to new subdivisions...but their Fair is a big hit each year because they work hard ALL YEAR to make it a success...not just a few months before the event and throw it together.

"My take on the Cincinnati City Council is that the "voice" for Bond Hill would probably be louder than any one for Hartwell and Carthage. Who wants a jail for underaged criminals in their back yard?"---Thanks Goyguy but Hartwell is a pretty loud voice in Cincy lately-we ask for help from surrounding neighboroods but I dont think there has been much involvement that I know of other than Hartwell and Carthage. Hartwell has a pretty strong council with great leaders that have worked hard for some great changes out here. I have a lot of faith in Hartwells strength.

Thanks for the feedback so far! How about 3-0 now....
I think you a little misguided on this subject. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter if the fair is in a geographically convenient location, what matters is if the fair is attracting enough people that will come down to not only "hang out", but spend money. And that simply isn't happening. Why is that? Well it is because of the violence down there each and every year. And don't sugarcoat it by saying that it is simply some underaged roughhousing. There have been numerous cases of shooting and stabbings in the past year. I don't care what your crime stats are in comparison to other districts. As a individual that has exhibited at the fair for the past 15 years, I have seen one too many cases. The fair needs to move if it continues to want to even keep going. And fyi, you are very inaccurate in your claim about the board members' position. It is true that a some want to stay, but only a slim few - the others recognize the need to move in order to tap into the developing population in the western section of Hamilton County (Harrison, Miamitown, Whitewater township).

Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Good luck trying to get that move...most locals dont and wont support it. I dont think I am misguided at all, otherwise, I wouldnt have posted what I posted.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Good luck trying to get that move...most locals dont and wont support it. I dont think I am misguided at all, otherwise, I wouldnt have posted what I posted.
To be truthful though, I don't think that it would be fair for locals to advocate for the fair staying where it is when it is doing so horribly. Getting fresh faces on the fairboard is not as paramount as finding a new, fresh location that provides the fairboard with significant leverage in offering opportunities to fairgoers.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM

The 153th Fair this year is "A County Fair for an Urban Society" and I like the sound of that. I think it is fair for locals to advocate for the Fair staying where it is because before it was the Hamilton County Fair it was the Carthage Fair.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Well if you want the fair to stay, what would you suggest be done to curb the violence that takes place each year at the fair, so that each visitor can actually feel safe? Ample security is already provided by the Hamilton County sheriff and Cincinnati Police, so what else is there to do?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Ample security is already provided? Oh, I was told there was not enough service outside the gates by CPD--who am I to believe? It is my understanding Dist. 4 will have police detailed in that area during the Fair since there is a request. What would I suggest? I would suggest the gates closing earlier since most of the discussion on problems occurs just before the Fair closes on 11pm nights. Although that was suggested, it was not supported. I would also no let people park smack dabe in the middle of the Fairgrounds where people can get to anything they need in a fight.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM

So your suggestion for early closure is not accepted eh? That's because forcing the fair to close earlier than it is supposed to on those selected nights (nights when it is most crowded) would result in a serious loss of revenue. The fair shouldn't be forced to close early because of the mere occassion of violence. They have been forced to close the fairgrounds down about a half an hour early in the past, and the loss was damaging. Not to mention the innocent fairgoers vowing not to bring their families back down after experiencing shootings and stabbings on the premises. In addition, I have not seen any correlation with violence and parking. Most all, and yes, I mean all, occurances have happened at or near the walk-in gates, from people not driving, but walking or taking public transportation. Those involved in fights walk into the fair with these weapons, which is disturbing in of itself. They don't have to go to a car and get it. To sum it all up, should the fair or the county have to provide such an insurmountable security force for a measely county fair? I say no and because of this, it should be moved to a location that does not require such a demanding force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati