Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM

170 posts, read 893,155 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Cincinnati and working for a couple of weeks starting in late January and I wondered what Cincinnati residents thought of the road conditions and weather generally at that time of year.

My team and I will be staying on the Kentucky side but I believe I'm going to have to drive over a bridge everyday which makes me a little nervous because I'm wondering if I'll be encountering snow. I'm from Vancouver, British Columbia and normally we don't have much in the way of snow or ice in the city (although this year is the exception!).

Any predictions on what it's going to be like at the end of January?

If I have any time is there anything in the city I shouldn't miss? Years ago I was at a Bengals game in October the day after my brother's wedding (he married a Buckeye) so I've been fortunate enough to experience a big sporting event outdoors.

I'll be at work for most of the day so if there are any answers I hope people don't think I'm rude by not replying quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
I think the roads are fine...but CIncinnati is hilly and therefore some areas can be a bit of an unexpected surprise. Plan on leaving a little early cause most Cincinnatians do get white knuckled when it snows and they drive painfully slow on the roads. Even with a tid bit of rain and my car thermostat stating it is 40 degrees outside, people drive like the roads are iced up. Just be prepared for other drivers and NOT so much the weather. LOL. (its okay Cincy folk, I still love everyone, just wish many of you would stay at home or car pool if your that scared). Hope you enjoy your time in Cincinnati brokendolly!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 PM

Thank you Hartwell Girl! You've eased my mind somewhat.

I'm used to rain and wet roads and I feel a little better knowing that people slow down when the conditions get bad. I'm sorry to say that here in Vancouver there are too many people driving around on bald summer tires like a bat out of hell when it snows.

I suppose that after one or two trips from the hotel to the venue each day I'll be totally comfortable. As far as I can tell from Google maps I'll be using 75 and then making a turn-off somewhere. Fortunately I think I'm only about a 10 to 15 minute drive from the hotel.

Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
The I-75 bridge is double-decker, so I'm assuming there wouldn't be any Northbound weather problems at all, since it's on the bottom. I think your only problem will be traffic on the bridge, not snow or ice.

But I absolutely agree with "Hartwell Girl." Cincinnati drivers apparently lose their minds if even a flake of snow is falling! I'm from Florida and even I had to laugh at how cautiously people started driving, even when the ground was clearly too warm for any snow to stick.

I guess it's better than people being reckless ...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
But I absolutely agree with "Hartwell Girl." Cincinnati drivers apparently lose their minds if even a flake of snow is falling! I'm from Florida and even I had to laugh at how cautiously people started driving, even when the ground was clearly too warm for any snow to stick....
That is a positive, NOT a negative. Fewer people on the road.

The real danger in Ohio (or any Midwestern city) is NOT the snow but the ice, especially the black ice. The stretch of I-71 between Washington CH and Mansfield seems to have more ice storms that any other place.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM

Thank you both! A double decker bridge hmmm? That will be my first experience with something like that. One thing I have to say in my limited traveling on US roads and highways is that they always seem to be extremely well marked. It makes things so much easier.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Brokendolly, commuting from Northern KY via I-71/75 can be a little slow during rush hour. There's a steep hill on Northbound I-71/75 (known locally as "The Cut in the Hill") that ends at the Brent Spence Bridge. The hill is well salted in case of bad weather, so don't worry. Traffic can get pretty backed up though. (An alternate would be I-275 to I-471 into downtown via the "Big Mac" Bridge, so named because it looks like the arches of a famous restaurant )

Hope you and your team enjoy your stay!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Thank you Crew Chief! I don't mind slow traffic because it gives me lots of time to see where I have to go.

I'm hoping the weather will co-operate at the end of January because I don't relish the idea of unloading 8-40ft trailers and carting the exhibition pieces through the parking lot and into the venue.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
I'm hoping the weather will co-operate at the end of January because I don't relish the idea of unloading 8-40ft trailers and carting the exhibition pieces through the parking lot and into the venue.
Cincinnatians are extremely cautious when dealing with winter weather. And there's a salt shortage north of the river, so the roads won't be treated as well as in past years. However, we have hazardous weather maybe about 4 to 5 times a winter. I think the percentages are in your favor.

Just being nosy...are you working one of the exhibitions at the convention center...maybe the Boat, Travel and Sports Show?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Not nosy at all Lady BeBop! We're bringing in an exhibit to the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Station. It will be our biggest show yet with a lot of exciting new things and it will be......
Stay tuned! Lol. Although it is on their website I believe. When I get finished putting it up I promise I'll come back to this thread and post some pictures. If I take my laptop with me I might even post pictures before the show opens in mid-February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati