Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 AM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were considering signing up to the Urban Active location two blocks from our house in Norwood (they say Hyde Park... bwahaha). The terms are two years at $37 per month/per person with only a $29.99 sign on fee apiece. They told us over the phone that this is the cheapest it has been in over a year but we would have to sign up today (no hard sell voice...nice guy). The place looks great when we sit in the car looking into the windows at the Edwards exit after work and we learned they have a lap pool/sauna/steam room as well. Is anyone a member or have any experience with this chain either way?

It just seems like most gym chains are a scam dating back to Bally's and we don't want to get taken for a ride. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
I saw a billboard advertising buy your first year, get the second free. This seems like the best deal in the long run?

I would never pay a signing bonus with a gym, this is probably the easiest thing to have waived.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,118 times
I agree you should have the signing bonus waived, for sure. Also, i would stay away from the long term contracts, this benefits no one except the gym. Usually you can get the first month free or something along a free trial. Also, buy the first year get second free would turn out to be a better deal. One other note - i have heard some weird stories and seen additional evidence on craigslist that some weird things go on in the suana and back room areas at that location.

G Man

Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM

310 posts, read 1,210,049 times
Default Urban Active

I know the Hyde Park/Norwood location of Urban Active is very popular but not haven't talked with anyone about their contracts. Another gym in that general area is Fitworks. I know a lot of people that love that gym.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,145 times
HuskerDu,

Be sure to post your experiences if you join. We've been thinking about joining the exact same gym. Honestly, I'm just a little hesitant to spend $1,700+ for two years of a gym membership, although i guess that's typical these days.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Another gym in that general area is Fitworks.
I loved Fitworks when I lived in Cincinnati. Best gym I've ever been to.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,118 times
Anyone who works or lives in Blue Ash can get a year long pass to the Blue Ash Rec Center for $150 or less. It has a gym area open and is going to be reopening additional areas this summer. Or if you know someone that lives there you could use their address i guess, its a great deal.

G Man

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
HuskerDu,

Be sure to post your experiences if you join. We've been thinking about joining the exact same gym. Honestly, I'm just a little hesitant to spend $1,700+ for two years of a gym membership, although i guess that's typical these days.
We ended up going up there on Sunday and the hard sell we expected didn't happen. Sure the speil was regurgitated but our tour was informative and we really liked it. I would visit and just check it out if the location is close to you. They waived any processing fee and we both have the full membership for under $80 per month all together. I might sound like a lot but we just paid off a fairly expensive car so a treat was in order!

Just went for our first night tonight and it was nothing outlandish or intimidating.... plenty of different people and they were not all blonde stepford wives and post-college meatheads staring at themselves in mirrors. It's just a gym...but a really nice one with cable TV on the cross training machines and some spinning (I found out that means stationary cycling)/yoga/swimming classes you can take. Not bad at all.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 28,126 times
I'm sorry I didn't see this post until now! My husband and I just signed up for memberships at LA Fitness in Oakley-- it is opening in April. Basically, they are doing the pre-sale stuff and we saw the flyers and dropped into the office the other day when we were over at the HP plaza. We got 34.99/month with unlimited classes and full access to everything. The facility is going to go in on Madison-- next to Target-- and it's something like 60,000 square feet! That was our selling point..... we hated having to wait for machines when we worked out at Urban Active. Oh, plus they don't have contracts....it's month to month!! Yayyy for that!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Okay, this might be on the low end but has anyone considered using one of the City CRC buildings fitness rooms. Not all of them have one but the rates are usually about $10 a month and for that, I think its a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati