Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Also, with Over-the-Rhine, the eastern part has undergone a rather swift gentrification and continues to undergo it; the western half still has a ways to go and has been the part of that neighborhood most ravaged by drugs and crime over the last 50 years. But like other posters here have said, give it ten years and I think you'll be satisfied with the results.
Like what is the rough boundary between the east and the west parts of OTR? Just curious as I spent quite a bit of time in OTR as a youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
I live in Northside and have for the past 10 years. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Cincinnati. I'm in my 30s, independent, single, no kids but 2 dogs (this is a very dog friendly neighborhood too.) Best record store in town is here (Shake It Records, check out its website) and two of the best bars in town (The Northside Tavern and The Comet -- both with great bands and NEVER a cover charge!!) Clifton is also a great neighborhood but with Northside you avoid the feeling of living strictly among college student/frat partiers. Great woods and trails on the edge of the neighborhood too. Also, the neighborhood has a great reputation as a community-oriented place to live and most of the residents would classify as progressive when it comes to politics. Lastly a really great July 4th parade. It's crazy.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 39,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Covington, a seat of Kenton County, is a great place to look. Granted, many parts of that town have its "issues," but then again old urban areas generally do. Mainstrasse, an approximately 12 block area centered around Main Street, is a great and safe residential neighborhood with a bookstore (I think), pubs galore, cafe, and several great festivals yearly. And studios there only start at around $450/month!

West Covington along Dixie Highway and 12th Street, near the beautiful Devou Park, is a great place to look; it's just a "downhill," 1/2 mile commute into Downtown Covington, Mainstrasse and Cincinnati proper. Wallace Woods and Licking Riverside are much more family-oriented neighborhoods in Cov., but they place you with in very close proximity to Downtown, Mainstrasse and Newport's entertainment district.

Speaking of Newport, that's not a bad place to look. Some singles/YPs are there, as well as other Campbell County cities such as Bellevue, Fort Thomas and Highland Heights.

The above mentions for places in Cincinnati are also great! Also, any place immediately around Xavier University and in the north part of Norwood, an old working-class community, would be great! There's not necessarily a lot of activity there, though...but I like it because Joseph-Beth Booksellers is in Norwood!

Also, with Over-the-Rhine, the eastern part has undergone a rather swift gentrification and continues to undergo it; the western half still has a ways to go and has been the part of that neighborhood most ravaged by drugs and crime over the last 50 years. But like other posters here have said, give it ten years and I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

I recently interviewed for a job in Covington and things are looking promising. I may well be moving there in the near future, so I'm trying to get a feel for things myself.
I wouldn't pick Highland Heights or Fort Thomas for a single guy. I used to live in HH when I went to NKU and even then it was pretty boring - I mean, you could walk to BW3's and catch a game or whatever, but still. The east side of Newport I agree with, as well as Covington around Main Strasse. Downtown, Gaslight Clifton and Northside are all options, too. I'm trying to decide where I want to move to (I live in Anderson at the moment, which is terrifically bland) and I'm sort of torn between downtown, Clifton and Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati