Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,676 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My wife and I were considering a move to the Cincy area and were considering the Westwood area, more specifically Covedale. Can anyone advise as to that particular area? We are in our early 30's and are looking for a neighborhood with affordable housing (for us) and not too many problems.

thank you in advance,
Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
It is a pretty nice area. Other places with affordable housing are Madisonville and Northside

Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks very much for the response. I will check those other places as well. Just trying to avoid overt crime. There will always be a bad element, even in the richest suburbs (Dateline always has stories about such), but I would like to avoid the "really bad" areas.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,529 times
Default Point of Order

First of all, I know this is nit-picking but Westwood & Covedale are two different places.

I would definately stay away from Westwood - lot's of problems. Just had a murder there two days ago; last week there as a drive-by shooting on sb I-75. Both occupants of one of the cars were killed -- they were both from Westwood.

Covedale is a different story. Parts of Covedale - those located in the county -- are very acceptable but are more pricey.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
First of all, I know this is nit-picking but Westwood & Covedale are two different places.

I would definately stay away from Westwood - lot's of problems. Just had a murder there two days ago; last week there as a drive-by shooting on sb I-75. Both occupants of one of the cars were killed -- they were both from Westwood.

Covedale is a different story. Parts of Covedale - those located in the county -- are very acceptable but are more pricey.
1. Westwood is enormous, if it were its own city it would be the second largest city in Hamilton County
2. The murder was in evandale.
3. are you ascribing the residence of the victims of a murder to be a barometer of the violence in their neighborhood? so by that same token a murder of a Mason resident murdered in Newport means that Mason is dangerous?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
The section called Covedale is adjacent to Price Hill - or part of it, depending on whom you talk to. You'll soon notice that there are divergent opinions on this part of town. On the one hand there are natives who've pulled up stakes for suburban areas and will swear that everything's gone down the tubes, on the other there are "urban pioneers" and people who stayed who have strong allegiances.
Both Price Hill, and Westwood to the north, are geographically large urban communities that are experiencing demographic transition which is most pronounced in the eastern sections. Those who departed mourn the "good old days" when the areas were entirely German Catholic in essence and predominantly that in reality. Those old days were also when everyone on a street knew everybody else's business, milk was delivered to your home, newpapers and movies cost a nickel, etc. In other words, no place is like that any more. But with the changeover to "diversity" has also come an increase in criminal activity and fear of same. The city and private investors are sinking million$$$ into making the core neighborhoods of Over-the-Rhine and the West End yuppie havens. Hand in hand with that has come the displacement of thousands of people from public and subsidized housing. Everybody needs a place to live, and many of the refugees migrated across the viaducts where coincidentally a lot of the housing stock was aging and apartment complexes were begging for tenants. McHenry Ave and vicinity in Westwood, and many blocks in eastern Price Hill, are bearing the brunt of the changes. But to some extent the entire areas are feeling some impact. In quite a few places you can be on a trash-littered street lined with deteriorating buildings and full of unsavory characters hanging around, yet be on a "Pleasantville"-looking block in the blink of an eye. Covedale in particular is much more in keeping with the latter scenario - still.
The community organizations called Price Hill Will and Westwood Concern are both extremely active in maintaining/restoring a high quality of life in their parts of the world. You might want to visit their Web sites and even attend some meetings in person to better take the pulse of the communities. Emotions run high on both sides of the coin in forums like this, so the more you can witness firsthand the better.
Does your focus on the west side mean that your job(s) are in that vicinity? If you're looking to live close in to downtown, you might also want to consider Clifton - see extensive threads where it's mentioned, eastern Walnut Hills, Mt Adams, Oakley...

Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
3. are you ascribing the residence of the victims of a murder to be a barometer of the violence in their neighborhood? so by that same token a murder of a Mason resident murdered in Newport means that Mason is dangerous?
No -- you know as well as everyone else what this murder was all about. I was trying to point out the kind of the people who live in Westwood.
If you need more proof, attend a monthly Westwood Town meeting; talk to the people there. They will confirm what I am saying.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I would look to Delhi or Green township...Very close to Covedale...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Sorry about the confusion. I was just labeling the area as the realtor did in her e-mail. Maybe I did not read it clearly. In any event, thank you again for the responses. I am planning a trip to the area in a week and a half in order to look at some of the homes. I've sent a listing of the areas that were mentioned in this thread and hope to have a few more prospects. My wife particularly likes one near Ryan Memorial Commons (whatever that is).

Thanks again.
Tony

Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_morgan82 View Post
Sorry about the confusion. I was just labeling the area as the realtor did in her e-mail. Maybe I did not read it clearly. In any event, thank you again for the responses. I am planning a trip to the area in a week and a half in order to look at some of the homes. I've sent a listing of the areas that were mentioned in this thread and hope to have a few more prospects. My wife particularly likes one near Ryan Memorial Commons (whatever that is).

Thanks again.
Tony
Tony, what no one has really said yet is that Cincinnati is the kind of place where you can literally have a good, safe, well-kept neighborhood - and then 2 streets over you're in a bad area with drug dealers and such. I used to live in Delhi....quite literally next door to Covedale. Personally, I'd not move back there, but that's just because I've lived on the east side and now would prefer it over the west. I'd be much more comfortable in Oakley or Hyde Park or Madeira...something like that. In and of itself, Covedale's not a bad place. But then again, neither is Oakley. The point being that you have crime in both areas, along with some really great streets and nice homes. If you want, post the street names where you're looking at homes, and any of us would be glad to give you a lowdown on it. Or if you want, tell us how much you're wanting to spend, and we can steer you into the appropriate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati