Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times

Advertisements

Well, if you're just talking about crime in Clifton, then sure. I guess I presumed from your original comment that you were talking about ALL Cincinnati neighborhoods - which isn't the case. Police district two (Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, etc.) is still refreshingly low on serious crime.

But yes, Clifton obviously has more crime that its "upscale" reputation might let on. Again, I don't necessarily consider this surprising. Clifton is near the college, as well as some terrible high crime areas too. There's bound to be spill over.

Frankly, I don't want to step on any toes, but I've found Clifton to be slightly overrated. My wife and I had considered moving to Clifton, but we changed our minds after looking at a few places. I'm not sure that I agree with your fears about it being unsafe to jog around the neighborhood. I'm not aware of the truly random crime that would require such caution. But generally, yeah ... I think Clifton has a few more problems than some city boosters would care to admit.

But still, it's a densely populated neighborhood. A couple crimes - even serious ones - doesn't always mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Someone on this forum posted the link to Cincinavigator (Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator) as a way to see what crime is like in various neighborhoods. This is an amazing tool but now it leaves me with even more questions. I see in the last two weeks a rape reported on the "street" at 300 Ludlow (Clifton Gaslight) sometime within a one week period. Moreover, there is literally a Tidal wave of theft, burglaries etc in this supposedly safe neighborhood and surroundings. Then you look at arrests and see arrests for "drug paraphaneila" -- not for robbery, car theft, theft, burglary or rape. Nowhere else can I find even the briefest lines describing any of these crimes. If you set the dates on CinciNavigator back several months the page gets completely filled with crime, an OCEAN of crime. Same for Hyde Park. Some streets in Clifton are exempt but fewer than you might expect. This seems to me to be the "real world" of Cincinnati we are living in, but you wouldn't know it by any news source I can find. Rapes on mainstreet Clifton and not "newsworthy"? Does anyone else find this strange? Is there someplace to find out what is really going on in our neighborhoods? Are our neighborhoods really helpless against this sort of perpetual crime?
If you want more information on some of these things, go to a neighborhood council meeting and ask your assigned neighborhood police officer. You will also be able to get your hands on some monthly crime stats for your neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: