Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,743 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

[SIZE=2] A colleague of mine is currently in the Cincinnati region where we are looking to talk to families about an exciting opportunity to spend some time living among the Amish for a potential documentary. I was hoping people may be able to help us to find a cross section of families who may be interested in taking part in a really rewarding project like this. If you are interested, or know someone who might be, please contact michael.philo@keofilms.com with contact details, and we will be happy to get in touch and explain the project in a bit more detail. Thank you very much and we look forward to hearing from you!

All the best,

Mike Philo
KEO Films
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
You are in the wrong forum. Your objectives may be OK, but your approach is not. This is a forum dedicated to people interested in Cincinnati. Your scenario seems to be dedicated to a deocumentary to the Amish life in Ohio. While this may have plausible aspects, you are in the wrong place. Seems like some want this forum to be their research vehicle. That is not the purpose of this forum. If you are looking for free research then go someplace else.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Dear KJ,

Apologies for wrong posting, we are not trying to use the forum for wrong ends. We are merely interested in getting in contact with some ordinary families in the Cincinnati area. Perhaps you could recommend an alternative forum where this would be more suitable?

Thank you very much

Mike
KEO Films

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEO Films View Post
Dear KJ,

Apologies for wrong posting, we are not trying to use the forum for wrong ends. We are merely interested in getting in contact with some ordinary families in the Cincinnati area. Perhaps you could recommend an alternative forum where this would be more suitable?

Thank you very much

Mike
KEO Films
I suggest you do some internet searching for areas of Ohio where there are concentrations of Amish population. Cincinnati is not one of them.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 AM

Sarah,

Thanks for your help, but we are not looking for Amish families, we are looking for American families who would be interested to go and experience Amish life, which is why we are looking for families living in Cincinnati.

Thanks

Mike

Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEO Films View Post
Sarah,

Thanks for your help, but we are not looking for Amish families, we are looking for American families who would be interested to go and experience Amish life, which is why we are looking for families living in Cincinnati.

Thanks

Mike
First of all, I feel Amish families are just as American as the rest of us. You have not said for what time frame this is to be, where these families would be living, etc. I think what Sarah was alluding to is identifying families already living close to Amish country who would be willing to participate. If you are looking for people with little idea of the Amish for maximum contrast then Cincinnati may make sense.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Have you located an Amish community willing to cooperate by letting others come and live with them for the purpose of creating a documentary film about the experience. What knowledge I have of the Amish would make me believe that a community that would allow that has moved somewhat away from the Amish beliefs. They would not be opposed to others coming to live amongst them, but rather being used as a topic for a documentary film.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Have you located an Amish community willing to cooperate by letting others come and live with them for the purpose of creating a documentary film about the experience. What knowledge I have of the Amish would make me believe that a community that would allow that has moved somewhat away from the Amish beliefs. They would not be opposed to others coming to live amongst them, but rather being used as a topic for a documentary film.
Good point! We see a lot of use of the Amish profile around this area, everything from Amish produced chicken in the market (I guess we are to consider it more organic) to Amish produced furniture in various stores. I look at these and wonder just how true to Amish beliefs these producers are.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Dear all,

We have worked with the Amish community to produce three series of successful documentaries and actually have a very strong working relationship with the Amish that respects their traditional way of life, while at the same time allowing non-Amish people to experience their traditional values and family-orientated lives. Obviously I have made a mistake by posting in this forum, and do not wish to cause anyone offence, so consider the matter closed.

Mike Philo

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Good point! We see a lot of use of the Amish profile around this area, everything from Amish produced chicken in the market (I guess we are to consider it more organic) to Amish produced furniture in various stores. I look at these and wonder just how true to Amish beliefs these producers are.
My in-laws have a lot of interactions with Amish folks in Richland and Holmes Co., Ohio. Due to the very high cost of farm land in Ohio and Pennsylvania, more Amish are running home businesses including furniture making and other factory work. There is nothing inconsistent with Amish or Mennonite beliefs.

As for Amish meats or products being better than others, I really doubt that. I have been at some Amish farms where food was produced well and others where sanitation was not so great. Personally, I do not buy eggs that remain at room temperatures for days.

As for KEO Films, they want to get the modern family to go to an Amish family and live that lifestyle. Personally, I would NOT do that as I can get the same experience at my in-laws house, the only difference is that my in-laws use electricity whereas the Amish light by gas.

To me, I think the premise of the show is PATENTLY OFFENSIVE. And so do a good number of the Amish and Mennonite communities that I have interactions with.. Dress up English as Amish. Show them struggling doing the chores and living in the country. The funny part is that they completely ignore the spiritual beliefs and the motivation behind the lifestyle.

What is next? White suburbans heading into the 'hood impersonating African Americans with all the usual stereotypes?

Productions - KEO films

The other favorite Amish theme is to follow ex-Amish as they struggle to adjust to life on the outside And yet another theme that is a feast for these documentaries is the period of rumspringa where Amish teenagers are allowed to "go wild" for a period before they decide whether to join the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati