Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brooklyn vs. Philadelphia
Brooklyn 109 52.66%
Philadelphia 98 47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i stay in both places. philly ghettos have a more bombed out look, but as far as crime its all the same to me. the same stuff i see in brownsville i see it in philly. In philly its not like theirs a warzone going on. You dont immediately see people killing eachother when you go to philly. The north side of philly is just the bad side of the city just as south bronx, eastern bk, southern queens are the bad sides of nyc.
North Philly is in a category of its own, there isn't a single part of NYC in 2012 that comes close to it crime-wise just check the stats. If you took out North Philly all together then Philly would match up pretty evenly with BK overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
NYC has been gentrifying and moving forward, especially under Bloomberg
your obviously not from NY

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
North Philly is in a category of its own, there isn't a single part of NYC in 2012 that comes close to it crime-wise just check the stats. If you took out North Philly all together then Philly would match up pretty evenly with BK overall.
No good dude.Philadelphia's diversity as a "city" -not necessarily population- easily outdistances Brooklyn.

Philadelphias cultural,economic,geographic and historical assets throttle Brooklyn. A few mergers have happened recently but as near as 2009 I believe there were 8 or 9 Fortune 500 companies in the city limits of Philly which was more than Boston,SF,Wash,LA among others.

Lets keep it real here. Brooklyn being next to Manhattan is a small fish in a big pond(NYC area). Philadelphia is a Big Fish in an even Bigger Pond(Bos-Wash corridor) . The cultural and economic core of a greater region of 8 Million people.

No contest. Philadelphia.

http://www.cfmedia.vfmleonardo.com/i...Lounge_6_P.jpg

Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Send me the stats of every neighborhood in Philly, and I'll check the stats of every neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Also not every crime ridden area is the same so that's a broad generalization.

For example northeast Philly ghettos seem more calmer then Brownsville/ east new York/south Jamaica. Dont know the stats but northeast is where I have all my family.

So it's a matter of exactly were you are.

North Philly is not every ghetto in Philly.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
time for everyone's favorite game...

brooklyn or philly?

or
Brooklyn for the first one, Philly in the second. However, I have the feeling it's a trick question since it looks too obvious.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
time for everyone's favorite game...

brooklyn or philly?

or

1 BK

2 Hoboken?

Dont think either are Philly - the first is def not - 2 could be old city but dont think so

The stairs in the first are a dead giveaway

Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No good dude.Philadelphia's diversity as a "city" -not necessarily population- easily outdistances Brooklyn.

Philadelphias cultural,economic,geographic and historical assets throttle Brooklyn. A few mergers have happened recently but as near as 2009 I believe there were 8 or 9 Fortune 500 companies in the city limits of Philly which was more than Boston,SF,Wash,LA among others.

Lets keep it real here. Brooklyn being next to Manhattan is a small fish in a big pond(NYC area). Philadelphia is a Big Fish in an even Bigger Pond(Bos-Wash corridor) . The cultural and economic core of a greater region of 8 Million people.

No contest. Philadelphia.

http://www.cfmedia.vfmleonardo.com/i...Lounge_6_P.jpg
I question the part about cultural diversity, but otherwise, yes, it's true that Philly is full-fledged city while Brooklyn by itself lacks in terms of big corporation headquarters (Philly has 4 Fortune 500 headquarters, Brooklyn has 0). Brooklyn is substantially more diverse and has better mass transit and a much greater population and structural density though.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I question the part about cultural diversity, but otherwise, yes, it's true that Philly is full-fledged city while Brooklyn by itself lacks in terms of big corporation headquarters (Philly has 4 Fortune 500 headquarters, Brooklyn has 0). Brooklyn is substantially more diverse and has better mass transit and a much greater population and structural density though.
Not having big corporate headquarters doesn't take away from a city. If that's the case, Bentonville, Arkansas is the more of a city than Brooklyn.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not having big corporate headquarters doesn't take away from a city. If that's the case, Bentonville, Arkansas is the more of a city than Brooklyn.
No it isn't everything, but having large corporate headquarters certainly helps in different ways.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No it isn't everything, but having large corporate headquarters certainly helps in different ways.
In what ways? I'm not disagreeing, just want to know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City