Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't have a picture but this area is basically the equivalent of the picture you posted:

boston, ma - Google Maps

Another good example is the hump on the other side of the 90 that is Lower Allston... Mostly industrial, Harvard Business school and detached housing. No metro for miles, the dreaded 66 bus is the only transit option.

Look, I have lived in both cities, and they are about the same in urbanity. If I lived on the East Coast for years, don't you think I would know an urban area when I saw it? It's not like I walked around the city with my eyes closed.

In fact, where I live now is even more urban than my hood in Boston.
There's no way to prove anything here, but no one who's spent significant time in Boston calls I-90 "The 90," (it's "The Pike"). No one refers to the subway/light rail as "The Metro" either (It's the "T" or the "green line," etc). Those aren't local quirks, that's pretty much common for anyone who's even spent a single night in hotel in Boston.

The pic you're showing is the "gateway" just South of downtown Boston. It's the largest interchange in the city by far and you'll notice that almost every portion of that interchange that's highway "disappears" underground into tunnels (instead of running above ground like the Freeways do in Central LA). You do have tracks running along side that stretch of highway (South Station is right there). That interchange is surrounded by dense, walkable neighborhoods (except in the area of the Southbay Shopping Center). There are many, many, many more interchanges of that scale and larger in LA and there are many larger swaths of old warehouses and such in LA (just look along the LA river South of downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No, it's nowhere near the same. That shows ONE freeway in the google map, LA showed 12.
There aren't 12 freeways in all of LA. There are two freeways in that picture, the 110 and the 5 (I believe)

Quote:
Far from it, Boston is way more urban than LA to me. LA is simply large, not urban.
You are entitled to your opinions, but everyone on this forum knows that they aren't based on experience / reality, but in fact some strange hatred for the West Coast.

For comparison's sake, here is a link to the area that picture of LA is from:

http://g.co/maps/m8hdk

You'll notice the vast majority (read: 99%) of Los Angeles is not represented in that picture.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There aren't 12 freeways in all of LA. There are two freeways in that picture, the 110 and the 5 (I believe)
Ughhhh, how can you deny the amount of freeways in that picture?

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinions, but everyone on this forum knows that they aren't based on experience / reality, but in fact some strange hatred for the West Coast.

For comparison's sake, here is a link to the area that picture of LA is from:

los angeles, ca - Google Maps

You'll notice the vast majority (read: 99%) of Los Angeles is not represented in that picture.
Actually, they are based on my experiences. I have been to every city on the west. Also, I don't have a hatred for the west coast. But what I do have a hatred for is homers making ridiculous claims about their city to boost them over and over and over again. Nobody does it quite like Californians. They take the gold medal.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's no way to prove anything here, but no one who's spent significant time in Boston calls I-90 "The 90," (it's "The Pike"). No one refers to the subway/light rail as "The Metro" either (It's the "T" or the "green line," etc). Those aren't local quirks, that's pretty much common for anyone who's even spent a single night in hotel in Boston.

The pic you're showing is the "gateway" just South of downtown Boston. It's the largest interchange in the city by far and you'll notice that almost every portion of that interchange that's highway "disappears" underground into tunnels (instead of running above ground like the Freeways do in Central LA). You do have tracks running along side that stretch of highway (South Station is right there). That interchange is surrounded by dense, walkable neighborhoods (except in the area of the Southbay Shopping Center). There are many, many, many more interchanges of that scale and larger in LA and there are many larger swaths of old warehouses and such in LA (just look along the LA river South of downtown).
I know, I am from southern CA, I call freeways "the __", and I know it's the T, my bad. I'm not sure if you are trying to say that I didn't live in Boston because I most certainly did, and can easily prove it. (For example I worked at the Coolidge Corner Peet's, which is technically in Brookline, next to the Coolidge Corner theatre, I took the C line to get to work, walking down Strathmore in Brighton to get to it.)

I was just trying to show that Gateway posted extremely misleading pictures of LA. No slight to Boston, there aren't a lot of areas that are highly industrial like there are in LA.

Oh and tons of freeways in LA are below grade. They are even thinking about making a park over the 101 in Hollywood. <---- see, SoCal tick.

Fly Over the Proposed Hollywood Freeway Cap Park - Video Interlude - Curbed LA

Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:

You know, Boston has a spot that looks like this, too:

bostonradio.org

Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM

^And that is absoultely nowhere NEAR the downtown either. Try again!

The majority of LA looks like my picture. Just massive freeways going right through the city. LA is an urban lovers NIGHTMARE!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

The majority of LA looks like my picture. Just massive freeways going right through the city. LA is an urban lovers NIGHTMARE!
This is what LA looks like. If you don't think it's urban that is fine, you are spoiled living in NY.
Attached Thumbnails
Boston vs Los Angeles-sam_0188.jpg  

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:

Oh man, you are digging that hole deeper than the Big Dig. If you turned the viewing angle 180 degrees, you'd see this:

jaycashman.com

The SouthBay Interchange is right on the edge of downtown, only a few hundred yards from Dewey Square and South Station. You cherry picked your pictures, it's obvious, yet you continue to pathetically hang on to this notion that they are an accurate representation, when the truth is that both cities have a variety of landscapes in, near, or distant from downtown.

To answer the question posed, they are both very urban. As a percentage of the entire city, more of Boston is urban than L.A., but there are large sections of L.A. that exceed Boston in size and population that are just as urban. Two great cities, by far my favorites among the best of American urban landscape.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Oh man, you are digging that whole deeper than the Big Dig. If you turned the viewing angle 180 degrees, you'd see this:

jaycashman.com

The SouthBay Interchange is right on the edge of downtown, only a few hundred yards from Dewey Square and South Station. You cherry picked your pictures, it's obvious, yet you continue to pathetically hang on to this notion that they are an accurate representation, when the truth is that both cities have a variety of landscapes in, near, or distant from downtown.

To answer the question posed, they are both very urban. As a percentage of the entire city, more of Boston is urban than L.A., but there are large sections of L.A. that exceed Boston in size and population that are just as urban. Two great cities, by far my favorites among the best of American urban landscape.
I did not cherry pick ANYTHING. Every city has pictures like the one you just mentioned including NY in far out Queens, BK, The Bronx and of course SI. Bottom line is how many of those places like the one you posted exists in Boston. I guarantee you far fewer than what you would see in LA.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Oh man, you are digging that hole deeper than the Big Dig. If you turned the viewing angle 180 degrees, you'd see this:

jaycashman.com

Haha I love that it is the exact same place I posted that Google map of.

And you hit the nail on the head with the bold stuff. The continuous urbanity of Boston is quite amazing. I love the city and wish I could visit it every 6 months. Gonna be in Southie for St. Paddy's day, I CAN'T WAIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City