Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Seriously man? You are hurting your own argument by posting some beautiful shots of the most desirable places in Boston and then some shot of the 110 / I-5 interchange near Elysian Park. Its like the very edge of Chinatown, no one really even lives there. (I am kind of surprised you didn't find a shot of the SFV, then you wouldn't even have that pesky skyline!)

I mean come on man.
You missed the point completely. Anyone who has lived an urban lifestyle and enjoys it knows what to look for in an aerial. They can tell if a city is urban or not just by an aerial. Stop looking at the quality of the picture but what the picture is of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
In Hollywood most of the stores are street facing, there is nearly 24/7 pedestrian activity. 40% of the population of my neighborhood lives without a car. This is not an anomaly, most of the other mini-neighborhoods in Hollywood are exactly like this. In the inner core, Los Angeles is just as bustling and street oriented as Boston, Philly, even Chicago.
That's really cool to hear. Glad to hear it's different than the bum wrap it often gets.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
You missed the point completely. A true urban lover can tell the difference between an urban city and a sprawled city. Check out the photos closer.
There is no point to get. That is a picture of freeways, warehouses and the corner of Lincoln Heights. That is not even close to a representation of the city, even a little bit.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
There is no point to get. That is a picture of freeways, warehouses and the corner of Lincoln Heights. That is not even close to a representation of the city, even a little bit.
BINGO! How many freeways were in the LA picture? I counted 12. How many were in the Boston picture? I counted 0.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
BINGO! How many freeways were in the LA picture? I counted 12. How many were in the Boston picture? I counted 0.
You cherry picked a picture of the freeways in an uninhabited part of the city. I still don't see your point. There are areas in Boston that are exactly like that picture.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM

84 posts, read 94,368 times
Boston is lucky, the Big Dig cost a fortune but now Boston enjoys a highway-free downtown. very, very nice and L.A. has nothing like it.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
You cherry picked a picture of the freeways in an uninhabited part of the city. I still don't see your point.
Of course not, doesnt surprise me. This is why people from California try to play LA off as being urban while everyone else laughs. They never seem to get the point.

Quote:
There are areas in Boston that are exactly like that picture.
Let's see them.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Boston is lucky, the Big Dig cost a fortune but now Boston enjoys a highway-free downtown. very, very nice and L.A. has nothing like it.
Boston does have an amazing downtown, and it seems like the Big Dig will end up being worth it (esp to future generations that don't remember the construction).

Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Of course not, doesnt surprise me. This is why people from California try to play LA off as being urban while everyone else laughs. They never seem to get the point.

Let's see them.
I don't have a picture but this area is basically the equivalent of the picture you posted:

boston, ma - Google Maps

Another good example is the hump on the other side of the 90 that is Lower Allston... Mostly industrial, Harvard Business school and detached housing. No metro for miles, the dreaded 66 bus is the only transit option.

Look, I have lived in both cities, and they are about the same in urbanity. If I lived on the East Coast for years, don't you think I would know an urban area when I saw it? It's not like I walked around the city with my eyes closed.

In fact, where I live now is even more urban than my hood in Boston.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have a picture but this area is basically the equivalent of the picture you posted:

boston, ma - Google Maps
No, it's nowhere near the same. That shows ONE freeway in the google map, LA showed 12.

Quote:
Another good example is the hump on the other side of the 90 that is Lower Allston... Mostly industrial, Harvard Business school and detached housing. No metro for miles, the dreaded 66 bus is the only transit option.
Look, I have lived in both cities, and they are about the same in urbanity. If I lived on the East Coast for years, don't you think I would know an urban area when I saw it? It's not like I walked around the city with my eyes closed.

In fact, where I live now is even more urban than my hood in Boston.
Far from it, Boston is way more urban than LA to me. LA is simply large, not urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City