Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I know, I am from southern CA, I call freeways "the __", and I know it's the T, my bad. I'm not sure if you are trying to say that I didn't live in Boston because I most certainly did, and can easily prove it. (For example I worked at the Coolidge Corner Peet's, which is technically in Brookline, next to the Coolidge Corner theatre, I took the C line to get to work, walking down Strathmore in Brighton to get to it.)
I believe you. Just pointing out that it doesn't help the case you were making.

I know LA is not nearly as bad as people say it is. Frankly, I wish Boston's suburbs were built similarly to LA's. Boston's are VERY low density (borderline rural) to "preserve the historic character" of the region. That's fine and good, but we're left with ultra low density sprawl covering just about all of Eastern MA. LA's suburbs are far more dense than any 'burbs out here. Building like LA's burbs would reduce the amount of sprawl outside of Boston's urban core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
^And that is absoultely nowhere NEAR the downtown either. Try again!
Actually, that's literally at the foot of downtown. It's where 93 and 90 meet right near South Station. I'm pretty sure that the shot was taken from 1 Financial Center (one of the city's taller buildings). It's the same one munchitup linked to in google maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
I did not cherry pick ANYTHING. Every city has pictures like the one you just mentioned including NY in far out Queens, BK, The Bronx and of course SI. Bottom line is how many of those places like the one you posted exists in Boston. I guarantee you far fewer than what you would see in LA.
There are probably three or four of those areas in LA. I'm not a homer, I can admit that there are areas of LA that are seriously FUGLY. There are parts of the city I hate, like the West SFV (although most of my distate for LA is the suburban areas like IE and OC) and parts of the Westside.

I can't say it better than Henry Alan did in his last post:
To answer the question posed, they are both very urban. As a percentage of the entire city, more of Boston is urban than L.A., but there are large sections of L.A. that exceed Boston in size and population that are just as urban. Two great cities, by far my favorites among the best of American urban landscape.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
I'm done with this thread, it's clear by now a Californian doesn't understand what urban is and probably never will. There is one poster from LA on here asking people how people without cars buy toothpaste. That alone shows you LA is not urban. Goodbye.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I believe you. Just pointing out that it doesn't help the case you were making.
Ok cool, hopefully you don't think I was bashing Boston cause I love the place. Met some of the best people I ever knew there (can't say they were all from the area though)

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:
I did not cherry pick ANYTHING. Every city has pictures like the one you just mentioned including NY in far out Queens, BK, The Bronx and of course SI. Bottom line is how many of those places like the one you posted exists in Boston. I guarantee you far fewer than what you would see in LA.
Of course there are fewer in Boston. Boston is a smaller city, it has fewer roads. That's a no brainer. As you point out, every major city has highway interchanges. They do not represent the entirety of that city's look and feel, yet you chose only a picture of that for representing L.A. Hence, the accurate charge that you cherry picked.

Now, we can have a civil conversation about whether such interchanges represent a form of urban landscape (I argue yes), but the idea that.A. only looks that way is a misrepresentation.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Of course there are fewer in Boston. Boston is a smaller city, it has fewer roads. That's a no brainer. As you point out, every major city has highway interchanges. They do not represent the entirety of that city's look and feel, yet you chose only a picture of that for representing L.A. Hence, the accurate charge that you cherry picked.

Now, we can have a civil conversation about whether such interchanges represent a form of urban landscape (I argue yes), but the idea that.A. only looks that way is a misrepresentation.
No, I did NOT. I went to google and typed in Boston aerial and then Los Angeles aerial. Those were the first pics that came up.

Keep accusing me of it, we can play this game all day.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
No, I did NOT. I went to google and typed in Boston aerial and then Los Angeles aerial. Those were the first pics that came up.

Hey this is true! But FYI it is not a good representation of LA at all.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:

Great, if the mischaracterization was accidental rather than intentional, then you should have no problem admitting that it was inaccurate.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Great, if the mischaracterization was accidental rather than intentional, then you should have no problem admitting that it was inaccurate.
Again, there was no mischarcterization. How do I know YOU did not cherry pick those pictures? the post in #168 is definately cherry picked. I have already found several pictures of better angles who show its not as big of a gap as what you are making it out to be. Two can play that game.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Again, there was no mischarcterization. How do I know YOU did not cherry pick those pictures?
He did cherry pick it, I'm sure he would admit it. He picked them to show that Boston too has interchanges and industrial areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City