Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times

Advertisements

I get the feeling Memphis is similar to St. Louis in terms of the crime rep being partially a function of how the city boundaries are drawn. Also that most of the crime is confined to certain sections of the city and at least half of the city has crime rates comparable to suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I get the feeling Memphis is similar to St. Louis in terms of the crime rep being partially a function of how the city boundaries are drawn. Also that most of the crime is confined to certain sections of the city and at least half of the city has crime rates comparable to suburbs.
yeah, kinda, but I think the boundaries of Memphis actually work more in favor for the city because it has annexed nice areas, while St. Louis' boundaries work against it because it couldn't annex nearby nice areas. This is the big difference.

It would be like if St. Louis annexed Clayton, Ladue, Webster Groves, and other really nice inner-ring suburbs. I compare those areas to East Memphis. East Memphis is essentially suburban, but it's all within the city limits (a large, populated chunk of the city.) Memphis also has a central corridor of nice areas much like St. Louis. Memphis is really nice along the central corridor, from Downtown to East Memphis & the suburbs.

But I think St. Louis' crime is more confined. St. Louis has a bad side (North City) while Memphis has 2: North Memphis & South Memphis, along with the areas North & South of them (former suburbs, now part of the city) So it would be as if North City, South City, North County, and South County were all part of the city & all bad areas. While the central corridor remains nice, and the wealthy suburbs that I mentioned earlier were also in the city limits.

Someone made this color coded map of Memphis showing the bad & good areas. I'd love to see one of St. Louis.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...89f36e0af&z=10

"Green=Good, Purple=Good..but some my not like it because of some surrounding areas, Yellow=Precede with caution, Orange=Bad..but not the worst, and Red=Bad and worst."

Last edited by Smtchll; 06-25-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Although this isn't particularly specific, I have to say that I always hear a lot of negative view-points about the country-side in the South. Some examples would be the state of West Virginia, rural Georgia and Alabama (maybe Mississippi). I think a lot of people view the rural south as racist and back-woods.

In other words, it's not necessarily cities that give a region a bad name.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Plus a lot is held on from times past going back many decades, mainly crime.
I dunno how many times people bring up the Cuyahoga River fire when I mention that I lived in/would like to move back to Cleveland.

Say what? That was 41 years ago ...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I think NJ's reputation is goin' down hill rapidly now that Jersey Shore started on TV. Everyone thinks all New Jersey people are like that mess, which I can't personally say yes or no. I've been a lot of places, but I guess the state's image kept me away too. Haha

Jessie
Indeed, but the fine people on that show aren't even from New Jersey. They're New Yorkers!

The "Noo Joyzee" thing also comes from New York.

We can't catch a break here in NJ.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Seeing as most of the people on that show are from NY..................
Please dont try to put that on new york. You act as if they couldnt have easily replaced the cast with some north jerseyans with the same results.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Of all 50 States, I cannot think of a state that gets more of bad rap than the State of New Jersey.
South Carolina, Mississippi, West Virginia

Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Memphis can't be compared to Camden. A good chunk of Memphis is very nice, nicer than most people could ever imagine

Camden has this

Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Camden has this

Has what? One white guy?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
South Carolina, Mississippi, West Virginia
I understand what you are saying about states BUT I was responding to the OP who asked what cities give their state/region a bad name or image.

I don't think the cities in the states you mentioned give a false image and stereotype of the whole state, at least to the extent that Newark and Camden does to New Jersey.

Another city that might give its state a unfair image could be Detroit to the State of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City