Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Yep, you are a wise man rocknewman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JxvXfH6ZA
Hialeah_Rules .... this is a community near Dallas .. not Houston ... note these two cities are almost three hundred miles apart . Houston is much greener than Dallas and much more "Florida " like .... but the video is pretty common of what you would see in a typical middle or upper middle class planned community in the Houston area ... yes homes are nice and in fact much larger than a comparable home in So Fla .... but "cookie cutter" they most certainly are ... just as much as in So Fla . In all fairness to Houston the typical planned community in Houston is much greener and has more trees than in Dallas ... in fact Houston has some very nice burbs and master planned communities and these are almost all deed restricted communities .... its the rest of the city including the highways and urban core that looks like a tacky bill board and strip mall nightmare .. much like a Texas sized Kissimee near Orlando ... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Hialeah_Rules .... this is a community near Dallas .. not Houston ... note these two cities are almost three hundred miles apart . Houston is much greener than Dallas and much more "Florida " like .... but the video is pretty common of what you would see in a typical middle or upper middle class planned community in the Houston area ... yes homes are nice and in fact much larger than a comparable home in So Fla .... but "cookie cutter" they most certainly are ... just as much as in So Fla . In all fairness to Houston the typical planned community in Houston is much greener and has more trees than in Dallas ... in fact Houston has some very nice burbs and master planned communities and these are almost all deed restricted communities .... its the rest of the city including the highways and urban core that looks like a tacky bill board and strip mall nightmare .. much like a Texas sized Kissimee near Orlando ... LOL
I lived in Dallas for a short while. That place is the flattest, driest place I have ever been. It was very unattractive physically. The people were ultra friendly though and as you said, the homes are huge and you can get nice space (rent wise) for a far lower rate than you would in S. Florida.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I lived in Dallas for a short while. That place is the flattest, driest place I have ever been. It was very unattractive physically. The people were ultra friendly though and as you said, the homes are huge and you can get nice space (rent wise) for a far lower rate than you would in S. Florida.

Agree ... yes Dallas is very brown much of the year .. people are generally nice ... but Houston is more down to earth .

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,913 times
Quote:
Other than some areas such as West University , River Oaks , Memorial , Rice U , The Woodlands and Sugarland ( which technically is not Houston ) .. much of Houston can be depressingly tacky and downright ugly ... again due to no zoning .
You know, I hadn't really noticed it until you pointed it out but you are right. A lot of areas feel very urbanized in a bad way. Driving to the airport (IAH) on the very north part of Houston last weekend it felt very dense and dirty. If you ever saw the movie "Brazil" ( Brazil (1985) - IMDb ) it felt kind of like that. For the most part though its not something you notice as you are driving on the freeways because you need to spend 100% of your attention focused on the traffic.
I think the assessment is correct though: Miami has good and bad neighborhoods but Houston has much more of an average feel to the neighborhoods (with some exceptions like Katy, Sugarland, and other outlying areas).

I was in Miami over the Christmas holiday and I can see how someone visiting would come away with a wonderful view of the city. For example, there was almost no traffic at all on Christmas Day. lol.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Agree ... yes Dallas is very brown much of the year .. people are generally nice ... but Houston is more down to earth .
There is no denying. Dallas sits on the middle of the prarie so it is indeed brown for about 4 months a year. But the Dallas area does have a lot more hills than Houston or Miami (which are both flat). There are actually some large ones to the Southwest of the city. Dallas may be flat compared to California or the Western US, but compared to Houston and Miami, its very hilly. The flip side of the coin is that its no where near as green as Houston.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM

228 posts, read 397,658 times
WTF this a Houston/Miami thread and somehow it turns into a Dallas is ugly theme. You people are more dense than your Uber/Global/Mega/Gamma/ cities......

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There is no denying. Dallas sits on the middle of the prarie so it is indeed brown for about 4 months a year. But the Dallas area does have a lot more hills than Houston or Miami (which are both flat). There are actually some large ones to the Southwest of the city. Dallas may be flat compared to California or the Western US, but compared to Houston and Miami, its very hilly. The flip side of the coin is that its no where near as green as Houston.
Yep. Don't know how anyone can honestly say DFW is flat. DFW has a pretty good mix of hilly and flat areas. Better than say Atlanta, which can get too hilly, IMO.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 AM

68 posts, read 179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Houston is actually quite a nice place to live. The city is changing dramatically too.

Here is what they proposed just a few months ago for shopping/hotel/extra office space:

The city has projects coming in like wildfire... it's changing really fast.

As for the beaches of Galveston, they're no where near as nice as Florida at all. But they're decent. They're not bad either- and it's still in the metropolitan area.
Galveston actually has some of the most historic architecture in the country.
Cool, the old Six Flags Astroworld site, I've heard of development in that spot.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
I have lived in the Galleria area of Houston and now on an island in Biscayne Bay next to South Beach. There is no doubt in my mind that I prefer Miami to Houston. I couldn't wait to get out of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City