Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix vs Miami vs Houston
Phoenix 18 31.03%
Miami 19 32.76%
Houston 21 36.21%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times

Advertisements

Which city has the worst summer weather?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I live in Phoenix and dry heat or not the summers are unbearable. Today was our last day of triple digit temperatures. I was born and raised here and I hate the summers here. If it actually cooled off at night the summers wouldn't be so bad but the city and metro area has gotten so massive and become a concrete jungle that it doesn't cool off at all when the sun goes down(heat island effect). However when my relativesin Ohio are crying about the winters I brag about how great our weather is in the winter time. Needless to say there's a trade off...4 months of Godawful heat for 8mon of gorgeous/warm outdoor weather. I've never been to Houston but I know their summers are humid like Miami but at least Miami gets rain to cool things off and you can always cool off at the beach in either city. I'm not a native of either city so I can't speak for them.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I live in Phoenix and dry heat or not the summers are unbearable. Today was our last day of triple digit temperatures. I was born and raised here and I hate the summers here. If it actually cooled off at night the summers wouldn't be so bad but the city and metro area has gotten so massive and become a concrete jungle that it doesn't cool off at all when the sun goes down(heat island effect). However when my relativesin Ohio are crying about the winters I brag about how great our weather is in the winter time. Needless to say there's a trade off...4 months of Godawful heat for 8mon of gorgeous/warm outdoor weather. I've never been to Houston but I know their summers are humid like Miami but at least Miami gets rain to cool things off and you can always cool off at the beach in either city. I'm not a native of either city so I can't speak for them.
So does Houston. Both cities have very wet summers.

For the thread topic, I picked Phoenix. I'm someone who's just as if not more uncomfortable in dry heat as I am in humid heat. Constant, uninterrupted sunshine, while it's 108 outside, is terrible.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I would say Phoenix. I dont mind the humidity.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
I pick Phoenix, extreme dry heat makes me think of the inferno.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
All three of them plus Seattle have my favorite climate(s) in the United States. I'm a major fanatic for warmth.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Humid places suck

Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
I think Dallas is more miserable than any of those 3. High temps (not as high phoenix), solid humidity (not as bad as Houston or Miami but up there), less clouds (than Houston or Miami), and no sea breezes. Houston and Miami have the coast (well an hour for Houston) and Phoenix has the shade or a couple hour trip to the mountains. Dallas really has no relief unless you count AC.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I think Dallas is more miserable than any of those 3. High temps (not as high phoenix), solid humidity (not as bad as Houston or Miami but up there), less clouds (than Houston or Miami), and no sea breezes. Houston and Miami have the coast (well an hour for Houston) and Phoenix has the shade or a couple hour trip to the mountains. Dallas really has no relief unless you count AC.
Dallas has several large lakes in the area that's about it.

Wide open prairie that gets scorched in the summer time.

In the dead of winter Dallas looks depressing with all those brown trees.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM

241 posts, read 465,565 times
I grew up about an hour north of miami, so the climate was obviously quite similar. Never been to Texas or Arizona, so I can't say for certain about the other cities in question, but I can't imagine anything being much worse than south florida.

The summer can be absolutely brutal. You feel like you've been beaten up. And theres no night time cool down, its humid to the point where you literally feel trapped in the air. Its not as tiring like the sun is, but its gross and sticky. You just sit there outside, you're not even moving, then you realize, wow, I'm sweating for no reason. And don't even get me started on the mosquitoes. Not seeing a daytime high lower than 80 for about 9 months (with about half that being in the 90s with heat indexes 10 degrees higher due to humidity) sucks. In the winter time, we dont get a month or two of cold. We get a few days of a few cold fronts spread across the two months of winter. Those "cold" days are absolutely gorgeous, highs of 60ish, lows of about 45-50. And then its gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City