Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM

515 posts, read 986,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Whatever the percentages or perceived amount of owners who actually USE a car, the fact still remains that more people in NYC own/use cars than not. We can pretend all day that this isn't true and that NYC is some kind of public transit fantasy world, but in reality it's a car culture.
NYC a car culture? You have to be kidding me. I live in NYC and don't know anyone with a car. Over 5 million people take the subway every weekday in a city of 8 million, not to mention bus service. Hate to break it to you, but compared to any other U.S. city, NYC is a "public transit fantasy world".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lol at the word "tags" what a country bumpkin.
Man, you're too parochial. Car tags and license plates mean the same thing.

Tag- A strip of leather, paper, metal, or plastic attached to something or hung from a wearer's neck to identify, classify, or label.

Plate- 1)A sheet of hammered, rolled, or cast metal.
2)A license plate.

Tag is just different from the standard, you should be the last person on earth to criticize a person's vernacular with you coming from a city with tons of word jargon.

I've actually learned some things about Hoboken and think it would be nice if it became part of Jersey City (along with Weehawken, and Union City as was mentioned already). Hopefully some learned about Buckhead, oh well.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 07-29-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Man, you're too parochial. Car tags and license plates mean the same thing.
Exactly and if was an attempt to down southerners it was a #FAIL.

Some southern states say "plates" and some northern states say "tags" and vice versa.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Plates-Tags- WHO CARES!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-31-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: warning: calling someone a troll = personal attack

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Non taken, I just hate to see threads deviate the way it has already in this one. I saw an opportunity to give data, so I did it. Honestly, what more can be added to this thread?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Unlike you I don't have time to sit, wait, watch and post 24/7 but I will tie up loose ends.

Some one asked me about denser places than hoboken, that have a better live work and play aspect of city life, so I posted an answer. That's why I posted Friendship heights stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't think you read more than 20% of what I say.

Didn't I point out more than 5 times that it's NOT fair to compare 1.3 square miles to the 30+ square miles of Buckhead?
Yes, I did.

Because there's vast areas of Hoboken that tip over 125K ppsm-- Have you looked at the maps? TINY Friendship village is a completely different animal and it's irrelevant to the topic-
In the beginning of the thread you were pretty much the sidekick to proclaim hoboken was better than all of buckhead and then for some odd reason out of 1000s of places you threw Silver Spring into the mix because it was a "better match" to buckhead, which showed how little you know about the place. This was to imply that hoboken was holier and a better place than both for over all city life.

So now you're changing your tune I guess hopefully it's not simply to be convenient so you can win an argument.

Size was irrelevant when comparing 1.3 square miles to 30+ and 40+ square miles so why is Friendship heights vs. hoboken irrelevant? If you took the density of Friendship and spread it over hoboken you would more than double the size. Not to mention it more well rounded.

Also where do you draw the line on size? What's "TINY" what's large, what's the standard? 1.3 sq/mi?

You still haven't proved why Friendship is irrelevant since you're the one who thinks density is all that matters.

Quote:
And it's funny how you've been out of sight until MD was mentioned again...
Your point? And you're here because we're talking about hobohoboken, nj.

If you post erroneous information about Maryland and I spot it I will correct you, simple as that.

Should I be ashamed or something?

Quote:
I dismissed it because,

1. It has nothing to do with the topic
2. It's an unincorporated area
3. it's 2-4 blocks in size

I will say it a 7392743 time.-I've mentioned that the comparison is unfair, I was actually first to mention it- I know you only look for things to argue about, but I've been trying to compare a square mile+ area in Buckheads city/urban area to Hoboken. I'm trying to be fair but I think you're more interested in talking about Maryland and arguing about stuff you make up in your mind.

Please do yourself a favor and not respond.
Yup, you're such the authority figure, your dismissal is noted but I could care less.

1. Wrong, Frienship, heights has everything to do with this topic as it the most dense place in the country according to the census bureau.
2. Silver Spring and Buckhead are unincorporated areas too.
3. Hoboken is only 1.3 sq/mi but you are comparing it to Buckhead which is 30+ square miles.

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you

You're the one being wishy washy and unfair

Yes, I did respond but now I dismiss this thread.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
3. Hoboken is only 1.3 sq/mi but you are comparing it to Buckhead which is 30+ square miles.
This right here explains everything- You don't listen to a word I said.
Notice how many times I've mentioned it- I said the comparison is unfair more than 10 times and that I TRIED to compare hoboken to Buckheads business/urban area... but again, proving me right, you don't read anything and argue about nothing.

the rest of your rant is..... well....... You don't comprehend anything I say to even argue with a nickles worth of logic... Why would you bring up what seemed to be dying anyway? Bye

Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 214,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Um negativo... cherry picked... I typed in some random adresses on Peachtree and Peidmont that I knew where in Buckhead and it's not like I live in Hoboken I just put the first adresses that poped up on my google search...

Basically I proved that Buckhead is very walkable... did I not?... it scored a 89 that's pretty much as walkable as it can get.... wheter it was cherry picked or not... it's on the highest level... accept it.

Let's not get off track I said that there are areas in Buckhead that are more urban and walkable than Hoboken. The areas that include mansions bring down the density for the whole neighborhood... true, but let's not peanalize Buckhead for being massive compared to Hoboken. If you take 1 sq mile in Buckhead where people choose to have a walkable enviroment... it is just as walkable as Hoboken which is 1 sq mile. Thats a fair comparision instead of comparing it to an area 20 times larger.

That's what I was proving.... by you showing the total walkable score for the whole area is moot. Is 89 score of walkability not high? That's really walkable right?
Sorry, I'm really not trying to revive an old thread but did anyone even notice that the walk score of 68 given to "buckhead" was actually for bankhead.... which is a ghetto southwest of Georgia Tech and nowhere near buckhead....just sayin. I actually found this thread becacuse I was researching the walkability of buckhead because I plan on moving there soon. The residence I am considering has a walk score of 94... not too shabby.

Anyways I'm sure both cities are nice and my apologies if this point has already been brought up however there is no way I was going to scan through all the posts in this gigantic thread to be certain haha

Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
lol @ ny being a "car culture" city.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol @ ny being a "car culture" city.
I believe the reference was to the car culture METRO...not city.

Good catch on Bankhead vs Buckhead FrankATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City