Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 145,315 times

Advertisements

OK, so there's been alot of talk on this forum about places with friendly people. In your experience, where are the least friendly and rudest places in the U.S.?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,646 times
I've been to Philadelphia several times, and each time I encountered lots of surly, rude people. A taxi driver there tried to run down my friend as she crossed the street. City of brotherly love my butt!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaAZ View Post
OK, so there's been alot of talk on this forum about places with friendly people. In your experience, where are the least friendly and rudest places in the U.S.?
I liked the area for many reasons, but when I lived in NYC and in the Westchester NY vicinity there was something that I definitely don't miss. I had two stick shift automobiles, and at any light or stopsign, before I could get into gear and accelerate after a stop I'd be honked at as though I was too slow! I'm serious, my wife and I couldn't believe it, but it happened without fail. Talk about impatience!

Another thing had to do with the Grocery and Fast Food stores... the employees at any of them made it pretty clear they didn't like their jobs, you, nor anyone else not of their ethnicity that tried to (or had to) interact with them. Good luck if you wanted to get just a smile, much less an answer to a simple question - it was always a glare instead.

I'll be honest, it wasn't just the cost of living in the vicinity that turned me off, it was also this rudeness that I came to just expect wherever we went. I wouldn't want to raise a family nor retire in that environment.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 58,943 times
I think that the absolute rudest people I have encountered were in Miami. It seems that everyone I encountered there was self centered and pushy. I thought people in the northeast were rude until I ventured to south Florida. Boston comes in at a close second.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Just from what I've personally encountered in my travels, NYC and Philly.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I've found rude and friendly people everywhere I've been across the country. If you give off positive vibes and are friendly, usually people are friendly in return.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 AM

26 posts, read 101,993 times
I have never personally had good expriences with the whole state of NY, certainly including the NYC area. I have met alot of nice people from NY but also more rude ones than normal... however, that's just a sweping generalization so if your from NY, and you're not an *******, don't get offended

DC and Philly are kind of a mix, however, the PA and VA countryside have very friendly people. Pennsylvania Dutch country impresses me with it's super friendliness.

but here here in North Carolina, we're all friendly!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
I'll talk to anybody in a grocery line heh heh heh! The only discomfort I've ever felt was in the area we're in now. Outside of Louisvile KY. Little smallville town where people have definitely NOT kept up with TODAY! They're not actually rude. They're very bland. Not worldly & very limited as to what they can or will discuss unless it's local gossip or tabbaco. 99% of them are from 'round here' and so are 100 of their relatives. There must be all of 12 last names in the phonebook lol! They're into church & start having kids by 15 or 16. If you're not a local you're a fifth wheel! Kind of like the Twilight Zone effect. We're so moving!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Sorry to hear it Coyote..we're planning to move to either outside Louisville or Lexington. I see by many of your posts you don't like the area. I wish you luck in wherever you wind up.

Though I am not a churchgoer or smoker, if that's what makes those folks happy, why knock them? You just described most of 'middle America.'

I agree with Rapture--you have good and bad people, rude and friendly everywhere. You might catch someone on a bad day and say 'all of so and so must be like this.'

One man's 'rude' is another man's 'reserved I guess.

What I hope is that more people are open minded. We're a mobile population and it would help if we all tried to understand each other, even respect our differences.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
On Louisville, Kentucky has its fair share of rude people. Its not absolute, they have some nice people also in my opinion when I was there several years ago. I think that Louisville has a superiority complex a bit and maybe they have alot of population to move there and decrease the quality of life so they have some old-timers who dont like new people there.

Also, some of rural Ohio is a bit rude. The cities in Ohio tend to be far friendlier then the rural areas for sure

Fargo, North Dakota has got to have the rudest, meanest and arrogant people in the nation. The people are extremely self-centered, have very cold personalities. They have an extremely fake personality overall and people like to pretend like its some high-class resort or something very weird personality.
They do have very rare exceptions to this rural though.

The funny thing is Grand Forks an hour up the road and the moment you cross the line into Moorhead, Minnesota almost everyone seems to be very friendly.

In fact in Moorhead people in the stores will just walk right up and start a conversation but on the other side of the bridge in Fargo that would never happen as people are to aloof to associate with those who are not from the royal resort of Fargo.

Lincoln, Nebraska has lots of rude people but mainly its the rural people here that are very rude everyone else for the most part arent friendly nor rude.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-26-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.