Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best hockey city in the US?
Denver, CO 11 4.35%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 59 23.32%
Chicago, IL 19 7.51%
Detroit, MI 52 20.55%
Buffalo, NY 12 4.74%
Boston, MA 58 22.92%
Pittsburgh, PA 16 6.32%
Philadelphia, PA 13 5.14%
Other 13 5.14%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Golf legend Arnold Palmer is from Latrobe,Pa outside of Pittsburgh.Oakmont Country Club where the US Open and Women's Open are held frequently is located in Pittsburgh so not used all 12 months out of the year( It's a brutal golf course a.k.a. Oakmonster)

Another "southern" sport is Nascar racing but Mario Andretti is from Pennsylvania and had a car dealership in Pittsburgh.We have the Pocono raceway, and many other raceways here.
I think Detroit definitely deserves to be called "Hockeytown USA". Detroit always had a deep tradition with it's hockey s.a. the octopus thrown on the ice for good luck. The Red Wings and it's fans are some of the most loyal and is one of the winningest teams in the NHL.
Pittsburgh, being the great sportstown it is, is definitely more football-with the Steelers and the fact the first Pro football game was played here, so how is football being thought of as a " southern sport?"
But Pittsburgh also has tradition with Hockey and The Penguins s.a. Mike Lange's "Ladies and gentlemen Elvis has just left the building." Kids play hockey on BRICK streets here all the time.Talk about challenging! Believe me,playing on ice is easy compared to that.
Hockey is very popular on the West coast as well. People go surfing in the Pacific during the day then go watch Ducks or the Kings play. Who would have thought?!!
Yeah I'm sure hockey is very popular in Minnesota and has put out great players but I don't agree that it's necessarily #1 Hockeytown or #1 hockeystate.Just like I would never lay claim that Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania is " the greatest football town ever" just b/c we happened to put out alot of great quarterbacks .There is plenty of room for all of us.
You do know that over 50% of American Born NHLers are Minnesotans? Until 50% of NFL QBs are from Pittsturdh, PA zip it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,583 times
KID CANN- That's why I said ( read above) I would never lay claim as Pittsburgh being #1 football town.
Perhaps the poll question should have been " top NHL player producing state" i/o "Which is Best Hockey City."
There is too much subjective data here and lack of criteria to define what constitutes best, There is not enough objective data to make that conclusion. I would think in the history of the NHL it may be Michigan, Mass.( with first NHL team stateside) and New York (state) is up there pretty high as far as number of players produced. Minnesota is currently a top producer.
You must have had one too many 10 degree winter days there in Minnesota and it's given you brain freeze.
BTW -Pittsburgh is hosting 2011 Winter Classic at Consol Energy Arena-now I'll zip it.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure hockey is very popular in Minnesota and has put out great players but I don't agree that it's necessarily #1 Hockeytown or #1 hockeystate.Just like I would never lay claim that Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania is " the greatest football town ever" just b/c we happened to put out alot of great quarterbacks .There is plenty of room for all of us.
Go back and reread the entire thread. You are right in that there is plenty of room for all of us.

Quote:
I would think in the history of the NHL it may be Michigan, Mass.( with first NHL team stateside) and New York (state) is up there pretty high as far as number of players produced. Minnesota is currently a top producer.
You must have had one too many 10 degree winter days there in Minnesota and it's given you brain freeze.
BTW -Pittsburgh is hosting 2011 Winter Classic at Consol Energy Arena-now I'll zip it.
You do realize one can find all this information online? As far as the states that have produced the most NHL players: 1. Minnesota, 2. Massachusetts, 3. Michigan, and 4. New York.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ince=&state=MN

And yes, please zip it as you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by BlackOut; 07-30-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
You do know that over 50% of American Born NHLers are Minnesotans? Until 50% of NFL QBs are from Pittsturdh, PA zip it.

Don't forget that Western PA may not have the percentage but in terms Hall of Famers of significance at the QB position I don't think any area could compete

Montana, Marino, Kelly to start with

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Correction to above: 2011 Winter Classic will be at Heinz Field not Consol Energy Arena

Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
We took my daughter to Ice hockey tournaments all over the place when she was growing up. The place we went to the most was Massachusetts. I'm sure Minnesota is bigger in hockey, but in the east, it's Massachusetts.

She played in the state olympics this past February in Lake Placid. I LOVED it there. The locals live and breathe hockey there. That is my paradise, not Florida.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Go back and reread the entire thread. You are right in that there is plenty of room for all of us.

You do realize one can find all this information online? As far as the states that have produced the most NHL players: 1. Minnesota, 2. Massachusetts, 3. Michigan, and 4. New York.
NHL Players Born in Minnesota, United States | Hockey-Reference.com

And yes, please zip it as you have no idea what you're talking about.
Yes I know you can find all the info online but I don't know if you realize there are NO websites that have 100% accurate data / can't guarantee accuracy. I did see someone cite online that NHLPA stats show as far as historically, per capita, Mass. had the most NHL players.
Getting back to my original point-does that, in itself , define " best hockeytown" I think this poll should have been titled " most hockey players per capita" or Most hockey players per state"

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Yes I know you can find all the info online but I don't know if you realize there are NO websites that have 100% accurate data / can't guarantee accuracy. I did see someone cite online that NHLPA stats show as far as historically, per capita, Mass. had the most NHL players.
Getting back to my original point-does that, in itself , define " best hockeytown" I think this poll should have been titled " most hockey players per capita" or Most hockey players per state"
Of course I realize websites aren't always 100% accurate, but I'm sure over 97% of them are posting information that is much more reliable than your opinion. If you want to go by most hockey players per capita, I'm willing to bet it will be some town in Minnesota. If you want to go by most hockey players per state, I'm almost certain it would be Minnesota.

BTW,
Number of NHL Players by State
1. Minnesota 200
2. Massachusetts 163
3. Michigan 118
4. New York 82
5. Illinois 42

Players Per Capita (Per 1000 People)
Minnesota 3.80%
Massachusetts 2.47%
North Dakota 2.01%
Rhode Island 1.71%
Alaska 1.57%

Number of NHL Players by City
MPLS – STPL: 60
Detroit: 37
Boston: 27
Buffalo: 18
Chicago: 16

Madison, WI-12
Anchorage,AK-11
Duluth, MN: 10
Bloomington, MN: 9 (MPLS. – STPL. suburb)
Edina, MN: 9 (MPLS. – STPL. suburb)
Rochester, MN: 9

Melrose, MA-8
Pittsburgh: 8
Roseau, MN: 7 (population of about 2,750)
Denver: 6
Philadelphia: 6

Last edited by BlackOut; 07-30-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
KID CANN- That's why I said ( read above) I would never lay claim as Pittsburgh being #1 football town.
Perhaps the poll question should have been " top NHL player producing state" i/o "Which is Best Hockey City."
There is too much subjective data here and lack of criteria to define what constitutes best, There is not enough objective data to make that conclusion. I would think in the history of the NHL it may be Michigan, Mass.( with first NHL team stateside) and New York (state) is up there pretty high as far as number of players produced. Minnesota is currently a top producer.
BTW Minneapolis is hosting 2012 Winter Classic at Target Field.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Don't forget that Western PA may not have the percentage but in terms Hall of Famers of significance at the QB position I don't think any area could compete

Montana, Marino, Kelly to start with
That is pretty ridiculous. Must be something in that WPA water? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City