Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 AM

421 posts, read 2,157,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I haven't seen much of a conservative attitude at all in El Paso. For one I don't think conservatives would even bother running for office here -- it's a pretty much tax and spend mentality -- any time a vote comes up for a tax increase, people run out and vote for higher taxes.

Hillary is very popular here from what I've seen. Compared to other places I've lived, El Paso in general seems mostly non-church-going, not too religious at all. Issues that would be issues in some places aren't issues here but most people seem to be quite liberal politically and socially. However--Maybe more are apathetic about politics and issues.
Politically speaking, yes I would be inclined to agree with you that El Paso is probably one of the most liberal cities in the state. Socially, I would say overall El Paso is conservative with the overwhelming majority of the population being mexican catholic. I don't know what percentage of this population is practicing catholic, but it still is somewhat conservative here. I've lived in las cruces & have visited albuquerque numerous times... these two places have a wildly different feel than El Paso.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,722,073 times
OK people, this post is more for the people that are in this thread, instead of comparing Albuquerque and El Paso, are kind of arguing which one is "better" or "worse."

I cannot believe the level of seeming almost-animosity that exists between these two cities. El Paso in the "rivalry" almost seems to have an inferiority complext to Albuquerque, whereas Albuquerqueans almost seem to come off with a massive chip on their shoulder.

It is silly, frankly, as both cities are quite nice and have great attributes. The cities are more similar than most folks that have the built up rivalry would like to admit, yet have stark differences too. My city for years was Milwaukee, WI (75 miles north of Chicago) and there, too, Milwaukee and Chicago had a big rivalry similar, and it was silly - Milwaukee needed Chicago and Chicago (ooh, Chicagoans would HATE to hear this) needed Milwaukee as well.

I am surprised that the lack of co-support that Albuquerque or El Paso provide for one another, including its bickering citizens.

Sure, I of course get the whole UTEP v. NMSU v. UNM rivalries, etc. That makes sense. But it often seems to go deeper.

Both cities are great, underrated gems (EP is more underrated than ABQ, as ABQ is definitely catching on with a better national rep by far). Here is some objective comparison:

-House prices are better by quite a bit in EP

-Property taxes are better by quite a bit in ABQ

-Weather is how you like it. Albuquerque and EP have more similar weather than many realize, however, Albuqureque winters are cooler and EP's summers are hotter. If you like more mild/warm weather, EP is your way to go, however, it isn't exactly like Albuquerque is Minneapolis. Both have very pleasant year-round climates, and frankly, both have some of the nicest year-round weather in America. There is usually on average about a 5 degree difference between the two...sometimes less in summer, sometimes more in winter. Golf is a year-round sport in both, but Albuquerque can get more cold/snowy mornings than EP.

-Mountains are probably more scenic in Albuquerque, but palm trees and tropical vegetation grows better in El Paso.

-Jobs are more better and the economy as a whole is better in ABQ.

-ABQ is about a 50-50 Hispanic - Caucasian split, whereas EP is about 75% Hispanic. Albuquerque has more of a "New Mexican" culture, whereas EP has more of a Mexican influence.

-ABQ is growing faster than EP, but both are growing

-ABQ is a little more "big city" in terms of ammenities. Stuff like Triple A baseball and the gorgeous Isotopes Stadium illustrates this. You'll find a wider diversity of "hip" restaurants, bars, clubs, etc., in ABQ than EP.

-EP has a lower cost of living, although both are low.

-EP is a little more sunny year-round, although both are sunny, dry

-ABQ International Sunport is a bigger, busier international airport than EP's airport by a decent amount (somewhat due to the more central location)

-ABQ has two major interstates running through it, El Paso has one

These are just a few off the top of my head. Overall, Albuquerque has more in common with...say...a Denver or a Phoenix (even though it still has quite a bit NOT in common with those two cities) than El Paso does...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for EP.

I prefer EP's weather and culture, but I prefer ABQ's economy and social opportunities. It is really - to me - kind of a wash between the two. If I could find a great paying job with an equal number of friends in either city, I'd opt for El Paso. But if I were looking for a job, I would probably opt for ABQ. Both are AWESOME cities in their own right.

When I first moved to ABQ years ago, I saw some sort of publication describing this area of the Southwest, and it showed a cartoon of El Paso and Albuquerque with their arms outstretched, and they were shaking hands over I-25. Unfortunately though, this needed spirit of cooperation and area pride does not really exist, and people like me who really love both places quite a bit are in the minority. Rather, there is this dislike of the cities by its respective citizens that frankly I really cannot understand.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 AM

421 posts, read 2,157,853 times
You rock EnjoyEP. I will admit I let my civic pride get the better of me at times. Honestly I think the rivalry has heated up between the two cities as of late because really there was no comparison between the two until fairly recently. Let's say 20 yrs or so ago. Before that El Paso was used to being the much bigger of the two cities and Albuquerque was always struggling to get out of El Paso's shadow. Back in the glory days of El Paso it was the biggest city in the southwest. Starting in the 70's El Paso started stagnating and the trend would continue through the late 90's. During that time El Paso had a lot of catching up to do, but I think in the last 10 yrs or so the city has really come around.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
You rock EnjoyEP. I will admit I let my civic pride get the better of me at times. Honestly I think the rivalry has heated up between the two cities as of late because really there was no comparison between the two until fairly recently. Let's say 20 yrs or so ago. Before that El Paso was used to being the much bigger of the two cities and Albuquerque was always struggling to get out of El Paso's shadow. Back in the glory days of El Paso it was the biggest city in the southwest. Starting in the 70's El Paso started stagnating and the trend would continue through the late 90's. During that time El Paso had a lot of catching up to do, but I think in the last 10 yrs or so the city has really come around.
Really interesting perspective / history here holmes! I did not have that insight. In my opinion...and just my opinion...(and you know I love EP)...Albuquerque has past up EP in terms of more "conventional" big-city ammenities and "national sexiness"...what I mean is that nationally, Albuquerque has a pretty great rep right now, while EP frankly does not. That is not my own personal judgement on them...I think both are pretty darn nice...I am from Milwaukee, WI which also has a non-thrilling national rep and I know that rep isn't reflective of truth there either.

But now, it seems like, again just trying to be objective, the success has somewhat gotten to Albuquerqueans' heads in comparison to El Paso, and they really have a bit of a chip on their shoulder towards EP ("why would you ever want to live in Hell Paso?", etc.). Maybe it is from months of living in EP's shadow and finally they feel a chance to brag?

Meanwhile, I note alot of some inferiority on El Pasoans' part in comparison to ABQ...maybe from a long time of being the more dominant city, and now having slid a bit into ABQ's national shadow.

I don't know...it is just too bad, because each in their own unique ways, they both have tons to offer. Perfect winter weather in EP, the Balloon Fiesta in ABQ, etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,943,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I prefer EP's weather and culture, but I prefer ABQ's economy and social opportunities. It is really - to me - kind of a wash between the two. If I could find a great paying job with an equal number of friends in either city, I'd opt for El Paso. But if I were looking for a job, I would probably opt for ABQ. Both are AWESOME cities in their own right.
Maybe you have discussed this in other posts (and I have read some of your other posts on El Paso and Albuquerque), but could you say more specifically what it is that you prefer about El Paso's culture?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe you have discussed this in other posts (and I have read some of your other posts on El Paso and Albuquerque), but could you say more specifically what it is that you prefer about El Paso's culture?
I prefer - and this is again simply my own opinion and preference - the unique, distinct Mexican-American culture that El Paso has. When you are in El Paso, you surely feel like part of the borderland...it is completely different than the culture almost anywhere else in America.

Now, to many people, they HATE this about EP's culture, and I can understand that - to each their own. Maybe it is because I am married to a woman whose family travels internationally (and lives internationally) extensively, but I like that unique flavor to El Paso.

El Paso is largely a Mexican culture in many facets, however, still is undoubtedly American. You sprinkle in some doses of Texan culture and New Mexican culture and whalla - you have El Paso.

I really actually enjoy New Mexican culture quite a bit as well. It is a proud, ancient culture - many "native" families have lived in NM since the 1600s! Roasting chiles, the blend of Spanish-Mexican-European-American cultures makes this a very distinct, unique place as well.

But to me, and just to me, I like EP's even more. It can be something as simple and basic as this - while I love native New Mexican cuisine, I prefer the Mexican cuisine (largely northern Mexico) that can be found seemingly at every street corner in EP. EP is the most laid back culture I imagine that could be found in the lower 48, and I just quite enjoy that.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:36 PM

811 posts, read 2,942,376 times
Quote:
OK people, this post is more for the people that are in this thread, instead of comparing Albuquerque and El Paso, are kind of arguing which one is "better" or "worse."

I cannot believe the level of seeming almost-animosity that exists between these two cities. El Paso in the "rivalry" almost seems to have an inferiority complext to Albuquerque, whereas Albuquerqueans almost seem to come off with a massive chip on their shoulder.

It is silly, frankly, as both cities are quite nice and have great attributes. The cities are more similar than most folks that have the built up rivalry would like to admit, yet have stark differences too. My city for years was Milwaukee, WI (75 miles north of Chicago) and there, too, Milwaukee and Chicago had a big rivalry similar, and it was silly - Milwaukee needed Chicago and Chicago (ooh, Chicagoans would HATE to hear this) needed Milwaukee as well.

I am surprised that the lack of co-support that Albuquerque or El Paso provide for one another, including its bickering citizens.

Sure, I of course get the whole UTEP v. NMSU v. UNM rivalries, etc. That makes sense. But it often seems to go deeper.

Both cities are great, underrated gems (EP is more underrated than ABQ, as ABQ is definitely catching on with a better national rep by far). Here is some objective comparison:

-House prices are better by quite a bit in EP

-Property taxes are better by quite a bit in ABQ

-Weather is how you like it. Albuquerque and EP have more similar weather than many realize, however, Albuqureque winters are cooler and EP's summers are hotter. If you like more mild/warm weather, EP is your way to go, however, it isn't exactly like Albuquerque is Minneapolis. Both have very pleasant year-round climates, and frankly, both have some of the nicest year-round weather in America. There is usually on average about a 5 degree difference between the two...sometimes less in summer, sometimes more in winter. Golf is a year-round sport in both, but Albuquerque can get more cold/snowy mornings than EP.

-Mountains are probably more scenic in Albuquerque, but palm trees and tropical vegetation grows better in El Paso.

-Jobs are more better and the economy as a whole is better in ABQ.

-ABQ is about a 50-50 Hispanic - Caucasian split, whereas EP is about 75% Hispanic. Albuquerque has more of a "New Mexican" culture, whereas EP has more of a Mexican influence.

-ABQ is growing faster than EP, but both are growing

-ABQ is a little more "big city" in terms of ammenities. Stuff like Triple A baseball and the gorgeous Isotopes Stadium illustrates this. You'll find a wider diversity of "hip" restaurants, bars, clubs, etc., in ABQ than EP.

-EP has a lower cost of living, although both are low.

-EP is a little more sunny year-round, although both are sunny, dry

-ABQ International Sunport is a bigger, busier international airport than EP's airport by a decent amount (somewhat due to the more central location)

-ABQ has two major interstates running through it, El Paso has one

These are just a few off the top of my head. Overall, Albuquerque has more in common with...say...a Denver or a Phoenix (even though it still has quite a bit NOT in common with those two cities) than El Paso does...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for EP.

When I first moved to ABQ years ago, I saw some sort of publication describing this area of the Southwest, and it showed a cartoon of El Paso and Albuquerque with their arms outstretched, and they were shaking hands over I-25. Unfortunately though, this needed spirit of cooperation and area pride does not really exist, and people like me who really love both places quite a bit are in the minority. Rather, there is this dislike of the cities by its respective citizens that frankly I really cannot understand.
Nice post.......you hit a lot of good points

Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 PM

811 posts, read 2,942,376 times
Quote:
Really interesting perspective / history here holmes! I did not have that insight. In my opinion...and just my opinion...(and you know I love EP)...Albuquerque has past up EP in terms of more "conventional" big-city ammenities and "national sexiness"...what I mean is that nationally, Albuquerque has a pretty great rep right now, while EP frankly does not. That is not my own personal judgement on them...I think both are pretty darn nice...I am from Milwaukee, WI which also has a non-thrilling national rep and I know that rep isn't reflective of truth there either.

But now, it seems like, again just trying to be objective, the success has somewhat gotten to Albuquerqueans' heads in comparison to El Paso, and they really have a bit of a chip on their shoulder towards EP ("why would you ever want to live in Hell Paso?", etc.). Maybe it is from months of living in EP's shadow and finally they feel a chance to brag?

Meanwhile, I note alot of some inferiority on El Pasoans' part in comparison to ABQ...maybe from a long time of being the more dominant city, and now having slid a bit into ABQ's national shadow.

I don't know...it is just too bad, because each in their own unique ways, they both have tons to offer. Perfect winter weather in EP, the Balloon Fiesta in ABQ, etc., etc., etc.
You did it twice!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 AM

507 posts, read 2,063,230 times
I grew up in ABQ, but have all my relatives in EPTX and Southern New Mexico (oh, all those 200 mile trips up and down I-25). People-wise, people in ABQ are serious A-holes and I wish nothing but the worst for that piece of turd town. In contrast, you'll never meet more genuine, down to earth, sincerely nicer people than you will in El Paso. Generally, the Albuquerque hispanic population think of themselves as direct descendants of Spaniards, and therefore, not "mexican". Pasenos openly embrace and celebrate their mexicanidad and I cannot wait to move back. Of course, I'm speaking in generalities; every town has its own set of jerks, but I often think of ABQ as L.A. of the Southwest.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM

879 posts, read 3,039,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
I grew up in ABQ, but have all my relatives in EPTX and Southern New Mexico (oh, all those 200 mile trips up and down I-25). People-wise, people in ABQ are serious A-holes and I wish nothing but the worst for that piece of turd town. In contrast, you'll never meet more genuine, down to earth, sincerely nicer people than you will in El Paso. Generally, the Albuquerque hispanic population think of themselves as direct descendants of Spaniards, and therefore, not "mexican". Pasenos openly embrace and celebrate their mexicanidad and I cannot wait to move back. Of course, I'm speaking in generalities; every town has its own set of jerks, but I often think of ABQ as L.A. of the Southwest.
I have heard a lot of bad things about a lot of the new people that have moved to ABQ. I have some family members that live up there because of the Air Force base there, and they say that ABQ has changed a lot lately, and that a lot of the newer people that have moved there have made things worse. Such as more crime, gangs & graffiti, ruder people, sprawl, more traffic, and so on, I guess ABQ is just dealing with the problems with rapid growth. They all tell me they hope to move back here one day.
I like ABQ and didn't experience too many bad things when I last went up there..though there were some pretty rude people..but I guess every town has their own share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City