Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
........but, yes percentage wise, there are more upper-middle class black households in the DC area. DC's CSA is #1 of all metros in that regard. Followed by the New York City metro.

I think the answer to original question (re: integration) is 100% Washington, DC.
Funny to see Dallas at #6 on this list and Houston at #7. The way people on here talk down the black population in Dallas is so disrespectful. The response Dallasites have to these claims, it looks something like this "".
Anyway between Houston and DC. Houston is a very integrated city with all races. DC reminds me a lot of Atlanta in the way its racial layout is.

Last edited by R1070; 07-22-2010 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
I'm white and I'd definitely rather live around educated black people over non-educated white people. Thats a pretty simple question if you ask me lol. I think some people just don't feel comfortable living around people that don't look like them. But when you're born and raised in New Jersey, you see different people on a day-to-day basis.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,535 times
There really aren't any hard statistics to back up integration besides indicies of dissimilarity (which someone already posted). However, I do see a strong correlation between wealth and black/white integration. Six of the top ten wealthiest jurisdictions in all of the United States are suburban counties of Washington D.C. All of them are ethnically diverse although the Virginia jurisdictions tend to have smaller black population percentages as more intense segregation and the legacy of "massive resistance" has really stigmatized Virginia in the eyes of metro DC African Americans thus more tend to live in MD. Prince George's County, Maryland is the wealthiest black majority county in the U.S. but it still has 27% white population and 8% of the population is Hispanic. Howard County, MD is the wealthiest county in the wealthiest state in the U.S. and is actually not only diverse but integrated as well.

I would have to say Montgomery County, MD is the most integrated and diverse county in all of the United States. It is the 2nd wealthiest county in MD and the 2nd wealthiest large county in all of the United States. When I say "large" county I mean it has nearly 1 million people and not some highly selected population like Hunterdon County, NJ where nearly everyone is rich and white and is not adjacent to a major city like Montgomery is to DC.

What does wealth have to do with anything? If you look at the poorest states (Mississippi, West Virginia, New Mexico) regardless of which ethnicity is dominant there it is not a high level of integration among ethnicities in the impoverished areas. The most diverse AND integrated areas tend to be wealthy. I have never witnessed as high a level of integration as I have in Montgomery County. I can certainly describe the integration but I will provide some statistics. Look at the population racial break downs of the populations of Montgomery's public high schools. When you click on this link, scroll down to "High School Listing". Then click on the name of each one of Montgomery County's 26 high schools. It will bring up a PDF file. For each high school pretty close to the top and in the middle of the page you will see the % Racial/Ethnic Composition. You will see that ALL of the high schools are very well integrated. Very few of the high schools have a majority of any one population. There are a few high schools that don't have a large black population but they still will have at least a small presence and are still quite diverse. I would wager this is the most integrated public school system in the United States and the youth population seems to have higher levels of social interaction than any school system in the country. Definitely look at the racial breakdowns of all of the high schools but pay special attention to Montgomery Blair, James Hubert Blake, Clarksburg, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Gaithersburg, Northwest, Northwood, and Seneca Valley High Schools. Are there any more integrated and diverse institutions of any sort than these high schools in all of the United States?

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
from his last post it seems like more pretentious mixing rather than a bunch of down home folks chillin at a bbq
That would be correct

Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That would be correct
not my thing. I am more of a dancing half naked on friday nights at night clubs with a bunch of hot half naked black white blue green yellow boys

Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Anyway between Houston and DC. Houston is a very integrated city with all races. DC reminds me a lot of Atlanta in the way its racial layout is.
Houston is very segregated, as is NYC, as is Chicago, as is Los Angeles, as is Philadelphia, as is DC, as is Boston, and on and on and on. Even that paragon of liberalism called the Bay Area is segregated. Do you think the black people there are living around white people?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Houston is very segregated, as is NYC, as is Chicago, as is Los Angeles, as is Philadelphia, as is DC, as is Boston, and on and on and on. Even that paragon of liberalism called the Bay Area is segregated. Do you think the black people there are living around white people?
I think DC looks integrated because there are many many black people there. Its not that the black people are living amongst the white people, its just that the other races are living among a sea of blacks.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
"Little Italy", "Chinatown", "Little Havana", "Little Haiti" etc. etc. etc....all examples of segregation in cities. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, but still, those neighborhoods are segregated and mostly filled with people of one race/nationality.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I think DC looks integrated because there are many many black people there. Its not that the black people are living amongst the white people, its just that the other races are living among a sea of blacks.
I think there's some truth to this. It's only a matter of time until many of those neighborhoods become less integrated due to the effects of gentrification. Nonetheless, DC has more black yuppies, or "Buppies," than Houston, and they will continue to live in those areas long after the poorer blacks are gone.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
not my thing. I am more of a dancing half naked on friday nights at night clubs with a bunch of hot half naked black white blue green yellow boys
To be fair, DC has its fair share of spots that are integrated and laid back. The W Hotel always has a nice, diverse crowd. There's a reggae spot called Patty Boom Boom that starts out with a good mixture of people, but then becomes increasingly black as the DJ begins to add more hardcore dancehall into the mix. It's sorta like a warning shot for all the white people in the club; same thing happens when a club stops playing house or hip hop and starts playing death metal instead. You see an instant evacuation of one race or the other. But overall, I'd say that you can find more integrated clubs here than every other city with the exception of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City