Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,136 times

Advertisements

What would be your top 5 tourist traps in the US and the 5 best tourist destinations? Here are mine (just my opinion so please no hate mail ):
WORST TOURIST TRAPS
  1. Hollywood Blvd. (People taking pictures of the sidewalk and buying cheezy mugs and t-shirts)
  2. Times Square (Same as above for the exception people are now taking pics of themselves surrounded by glorified advertisement)
  3. Pike Place Market (There are many fish markets throughout this country but this is the only one where you'll see fish flying)
  4. St. Louis Arch (I really like the way it looks but personally I would rather just drive by then to spend an hour looking at a giant arch)
  5. LA gang tours
    LA Gang Tours
TOURIST DESTINATIONS THAT DELIVER
  1. Las Vegas Blvd. (You came here to experience a gamblers paradise and live shows, LV won't disappoint you)
  2. Orlando ( You came to experience a land of theme parks you will not be disappointed)
  3. Manhattan (You have come to experience big city life and all the skyscrapers and tall buildings that you can ever imagine Manhattan will not disappoint just stay away from Times Square and experience the rest)
  4. DC (You have come to look at the seat of the federal govt. in the most powerful country in the world with plenty of monuments/museums and free activities throughout the city it's a great way to learn about the U.S. without getting charged an arm and a leg)
  5. Mall of America (You have come to experience the biggest mall in the country, that's exactly what you'll find plus how many malls do you know that have a roller coaster and a high school inside of it?)
Honorable mention to California wine country (getting tipsy while being driven around throughout a beautiful landscape who wouldn't like that?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Best (For me personally):
- Niagara Falls
- Downtown San Diego
- Key West
- South Padre
- Charleston, WV

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
Worst
1. Hollywood (It is so corny and cheezy, and just so blah)
2. Navy Pier (The only thing it has going for it is the great views of Chicago)
3. Beverly Hills (I just did not like it one bit, especially Rodeo Drive, overrated)
4. Wisconsin Dells (The epitome of tourist trap hell, it's actually fun in a way, in a horrible, horrible way)
5. Times Square (Face it folks it's nothing but glorified advertising and stores you can find anywhere)

Best
1. Times Sqaure (Yes it is also the best, you can't beat the energy and excitement that it brings in any other city in the U.S.
2. Millenium Park (Tourists ruin this for me in the summer, but it is Chicago's most beautiful and enjoyable tourist trap.
3. Las Vegas Strip (Disneyworld for adults!)
4. South Beach (tourists are a dime a dozen, but man beautiful people, views etc.)
5. The Mall in D.C. (wonderful architecture and simply just amazing, no other place like it)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Sometimes I like to go to tourist traps...they can be fun, especially if Ive never been there.

Also, its easy to get cynical about tourists traps in your own town(I know I do about Fisherman's Wharf and Coit Tower and the like) but whenever visitors come over, at least there is no shortage of places to take them. LOL.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
alcatraz night tour best ever

Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
alcatraz night tour best ever
That sounds fun!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
There's some serious cornball tourist stuff on "the strip" in Lake Ozark MO...

Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Yes, I HATE Hollywood Blvd. It's just a bunch of freaks in Spider-Man costumes and tacky stores. What a horrible place. But Hollywood itself actually has a lot going for it.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
If this is what others call a tourist trap city, they sure as hell do an amazing job trapping people. In fact, this is the only city in the country that I even envy. The only thing thats stopping me from living there year round is that I'm still in college and need to wait to finish. Oh yeah and it doesn't have much of an economy for the profession I am pursuing. Bummer, really.

Last edited by DANNYY; 03-21-2011 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
The worst is Hollywood Blvd. I love the Chinese Theater with the footprints in the cement, the walk of fame, the Egyptian Theater, Capital Records Bldg, the Rosevelt Hotel and the golden era history stuff. But the tacky stores and souvenier shops along Hollywood Blvd are the worst.

The Space Needle. Actually the Space Needle is beautiful but the Seattle Center, the grounds the Needle sit on are full of old tacky amusment rides, and old buildings in need of repair.

South Street Seaport New York CityFishermens Wharf San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City