Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Montana VS California
Montana 16 26.67%
California 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:31 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times

Advertisements

There is only California. Everything else is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 PM

247 posts, read 575,899 times
I live in montana... It is a beautiful state... however in all the subject the original poster mentioned montana cant compare...I have lived in california all over the state and california has everything as far as scenery goes as montana does and then some... the only down fall to california is the population and the crazy laws etc they have...

Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Those are some amazingly beautiful photos of Montana! But I understand the eastern half of the state isn't very attractive. Love the Rocky Mts. Montana is sort of off the beaten track; far northern state with no really large cities and quite a way from the closest large cities [Denver, Salt Lake City, Spokane]. Not very diverse and somewhat limited in things to do except outdoor activities like hiking, hunting, skiing, dirt biking, etc. Besides mining, lumber and cattle, I don't know of much industry\ commercial enterprises. Montana is somewhat conservative but more Democratic than most Midwest & Southern states. But Montana is a beautiful Western state yet not as beautiful as California and certainly not nearly as diverse. In-fact, in most other categories Montana lacks in comparison to California and many other states. But some people prefer to live in more remote areas, small towns and slow pace of life.

Montana has some great mountains but so does California:
Lake Tahoe

Mt Shasta [active volcano]

Yosemite

Coachella Valley

San Simeon

Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,297 times
IS this serious? Montana? up against California?

Montana has less than 1 million people. California is juggernaut in every category

Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 19,946 times
Montana is way better

Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 19,946 times
Montana beats California overall I live in Helena Montana and here are some words to describe Montana beautiful, friendly, traffic is good, wild, awesome scenery California: blah, overpopulated, traffic is the worst, scenery is pretty good in the northern part, unfriendly

Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
There are some very nice places in MT like Big Sky.

But SoCal? The beaches? come on.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
I'm gonna abstain from voting on this one. Montanta has a really special place in my heart. I was going through a really rough time in my life when I took a trip on a Greyhound bus from Minneapolis to Spokane. I'll spare you the details, but it was bad: alcoholism, drug abuse, failed jobs, failed relationships. Long story short, I ended up stranded for three days in Billings, Montana. Due to the conversations I had and some events that transpired, that time in Billings was the start of a new beginning. My life started to make sense again from then on.

I wouldn't be where I am now or who I am now if it weren't for that trip. For similar reasons, I also have a lot of positive memories associated with Indiana (of all places). So, yeah, if I were to vote I would vote for Montana, but that wouldn't at all be fair. Both are amazingly beautiful states.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
I was born in Montana; still, I think California wins this one very easily, unless you prefer being remote from people (which is understandable). California has all of Montana's natural beauty; Montana has no answer for California's people beauty. Pretty clear cut in my opinion.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 PM

389 posts, read 596,020 times
This is interesting because my father is a California native and my mother is a Montana native. Growing up in Houston, we always spent a couple of weeks of summer in both places. My paternal grandparents lived in Palm Springs (formerly LA where my dad was born and raised) and my maternal grandparents lived in Great Falls. Growing up, I always preferred visiting Palm Springs (even with the horrible summer weather). I never really appreciated Montana. We would travel in California though, we would stay in Orange County and San Diego at times (when we weren't in Palm Springs). We would always leave Palm Springs for day trips to the different theme parks, such as Disney, Knotts, Universal, and Legoland. We would also go to the beach. I used to think California was a utopia. In Montana, we would just kind of sit around and do nothing (we went to Glacier Park once, but it wasn't really my thing). I always found myself wishing we were in California, even though we spent a lot more time in California. Part of this had to do with the fact that my favorite grandparents, favorite uncle, and favorite cousins all were on my dad's side.

As I've grown up, I realized that Montana is a very scenic state. It probably does have some of the best natural beauty in the United States (although Great Falls doesn't really fit into that ). However, I still prefer California. It has more diversity in geography/climates than Montana. While both places have mountains, rivers, and national parks, California also has coastline. As a Texan, I don't think I could handle living in snow. My Montana family members have mostly relocated to warmer abodes such as Texas, Arizona, and South Carolina. My grandparents are snowbirds that spend winter in Arizona, formerly Florida. I've never been to Montana in the winter, and I don't plan to go. The weather of the California coast (San Diego and LA) is more similar to the weather I grew up with in Houston.

The two states are so different, that it truly is like comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City