Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 AM

528 posts, read 866,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Both are great cities. I live in the Atlanta area and have visited Seattle multiple times. I think Seattle may cater more to your personal preferences. Seattle mirrors San Francisco more than Atlanta does. Seattle also probably mirrors Minneapolis more than Atlanta (I’ve been to them all). Seattle from my experience has more of the Vegan culture as well, therefore they would have more places to cater to Vegans.

I could give you a million reasons why Atlanta is a great city and you certainly can find what you are looking for here, however from what you stated-Seattle is probably more in line with what you are looking for. If COL is a biggie, Atlanta hands down.
I plan to settle down in Tampa Bay area for good BUT if I would have to pick a secondary area in the south especially since cost is important, its definitely Atlanta. Knoxville was a consideration but might be too far out of my league for what I want mentally.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:02 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
So any legitimate (and accurate I may add) criticism of Seattle is "trolling"?
Feel free to visit the Seattle sub forum to see how bad it's gotten lately with threads meant to do nothing but instigate anger.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Atlanta has an absolutely TERRIBLE economy. So if you are moving there without a job, you may be setting yourself up for a terrible failure. The city is also extremely dangerous. Unless you make enough money to live in a nice apartment complex then car break-ins are a norm. And don't forget that Atlanta is still very much a Southern city. If you don't like Southern culture/accents/food then it will not be a good fit.

Seattle has bad weather. But it is safe, good job market, cool people. Atlanta will be more expensive than you think because you will have to pay higher rent than average to get into a safe area.
Violent crime in Atlanta is relatively low. It's not "extremely dangerous." Maybe your experience is different, but I don't feel like I'm bombarded with Southern culture in Atlanta. It has some, to be sure, but because there are so many transplants from the rest of the country and world, it's easy to ignore and find other cultures to appreciate.

I'm sure Seattle is similar. Both cities seem to have a lot of diversity.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The weather, the people, the feel of the city. Atlanta is way too sprawly. Feels like a large suburb.
He won't be living in the suburbs of Atlanta if he were to move here, so that's a moot point. He can live in downtown, Midtown, Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, Castleberry Hill, East Atlanta Village, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, etc., and there's nothing about those neighborhoods--and there are more--that feel like a "large suburb," unless you're talking about turn-of-the-century streetcar suburbs.

That said, it sounds like Seattle would suit him better.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
I often wonder where your utopia is?
I'm enjoying Denver a lot. I'm still looking for home myself though.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM

165 posts, read 206,017 times
I have lived in both cities and know them well.
Seattle is cleaner, smarter, safer and far better looking.

Atlanta GA vs Seattle WA - Places Comparison

Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
I have lived in both cities and know them well.
Seattle is cleaner, smarter, safer and far better looking.

Atlanta GA vs Seattle WA - Places Comparison
Thanks to the mountains and ocean, sounds etc. Seattle has an edge in looks but I wouldn't say it's far better looking. Atlanta is a gorgeous city and in many ways similar to Seattle. They are both hilly cities built in a forest that are very green thanks to lots of yearly rain only Atlanta has even more trees than Seattle.

Downtown and Midtown

[IMG][/IMG]

Buckhead
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Galounger; 09-05-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 05:12 PM

165 posts, read 206,017 times
Not to take anything away from Atlanta but Seattle is surrounded by water and has an outstanding boat culture; ferry boats, cruise ships, fire boats, fishing boats, yachts, houseboats, etc. (not to metion the dozens of bridges around town)
Atlanta has the Chatahoochie river, Seattle has Elliott bay and a navigable canal that cuts through the middle of town.
You can even catch a seaplane on lake Union (middle of the city) and fly to Victoria, BC.
This, to me, is one reason I think Seattle stands out as a better looking city.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM

555 posts, read 802,936 times
Valsteele:
Yes, Seattleites consider it trolling to criticize Seattle. See what I meant about Seattle Groupthink?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM

555 posts, read 802,936 times
Gatsby:
It doesn't much to instigate anger in most Seattle supporters. Just telling the truth is usually enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City