Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Violent crime in Atlanta is relatively low. It's not "extremely dangerous." Maybe your experience is different, but I don't feel like I'm bombarded with Southern culture in Atlanta. It has some, to be sure, but because there are so many transplants from the rest of the country and world, it's easy to ignore and find other cultures to appreciate.

I'm sure Seattle is similar. Both cities seem to have a lot of diversity.
I'm almost certain that Atlanta has a higher homicide rate than NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and Philly (not combined of course).

Old 09-08-2014, 03:20 PM

165 posts, read 206,039 times
How many people posting here have actually spent any amount of time in Seattle and Atlanta?
I'm aware of your passion for your city but how objective are you really?
Be honest...if that is possible.

Quote:

I'm almost certain that Atlanta has a higher homicide rate than NYC, LA,
Chicago, Houston and Philly (not combined of course).
Homicide rate (Rates are based on cases per 100,000 people for all of calendar year 2012.)
Atlanta 19.0
Chicago 18.5
NYC 5.1
LA 7.8
Houston10.0
Philly 21.5 (wow)
Seattle 3.7

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Data Donut; 09-08-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Violent crime in Atlanta is relatively low. It's not "extremely dangerous." Maybe your experience is different, but I don't feel like I'm bombarded with Southern culture in Atlanta. It has some, to be sure, but because there are so many transplants from the rest of the country and world, it's easy to ignore and find other cultures to appreciate.

I'm sure Seattle is similar. Both cities seem to have a lot of diversity.
I didn't get any of your experiences in Atlanta. The city is extremely dangerous with one of the highest homicide rates in the nation. Atlanta is one of the few metros in America that even has crime infested suburbs.

And most of Atlanta's transplants are from the south. Hardly diverse. It's not like Florida where you meet people from everywhere. All the transplants I met in Atlanta were from Alabama, North Carolina, etc. the black community of Atlanta has diverse origins, but not the white community.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Atlanta.

Seattle is beautiful but the weather is cold, overcast and drizzly most of the year. Atlanta does have sultry summers but at least you can swim in the pool and enjoy decent warmth (including warm rains) and enjoy warm-to-mild weather the rest of the year (the winters are, temperature-wise, similar to Seattle) and you get more sunshine. Also, Atlanta is very affordable. Seattle is getting more and more expensive everyday.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Those beaches are pretty...but you mustn't have been to Hawaii. It's far superior, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I wouldn't be so sure he's from Atlanta. It seems the biggest Seattle bashers on CD are actually from Seattle. Also many Atlantans are very familiar with water life. Yes I know it's not the same as having water in your backyard but so many Atlantans hit Pensacola Beach that it's been nicknamed "Atlanta Beach" it and other Gulf Beaches like Panama City and Mexico Beach are I think the most gorgeous in America with white sand and beautiful turquoise water, much warmer water than the West Coast and the Bikini season is much much longer there than in Seattle.

And also while a great deal of Atlanta's water comes from the reservoirs a great deal of water in Atlanta's suburbs is pumped from Georgia's underground aquifers which are huge under ground streams and lakes down in the bedrock. That water is very good and also loaded with healthy minerals.

Like I said I appreciate the fact that water is at your immediate disposal in Seattle but I can and have on many a Friday after work hit the road and been in Panama City in time to dine and enjoy the nightlife that night and then enjoyed a whole weekend of excellent ocean and fresh water fishing hanging out on the beach and sampling wonderful fresh seafood and be back home in plenty of time to relax before work the next morning.

Leave Atlanta at 9:00 am. Be here before 2 pm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...%3B1500%3B1000

https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...2F%3B497%3B309

or here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...ml%3B636%3B385

or here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=panama+city+beach&biw=1366&bih=635&tbm=is ch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ugwOVOqoEsSTyAS-7IHQBA&ved=0CF4Q7Ak#tbm=isch&q=pensacola+beach+fla &facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=AQKfKE0UrVh_ZM%253A%3BzgwO 5BoQCUTSvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com%252Fnorth-america%252Fus%252Fflorida%252Fimages%252Fs%252Fpe nsacola-beach-hotels.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com%252Fnorth-america%252Fus%252Fflorida%252Fpensacola%252Fpensa cola-beach-hotels%3B415%3B332

Or you could go the opposite direction and in about two hours less time be here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...2F%3B900%3B600

or here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...2F%3B640%3B480

tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ugwOVOqoEsSTyAS-7IHQBA&ved=0CF4Q7Ak#tbm=isch&q=chattanooga+tn&facr c=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=u38emFSH0WghCM%253A%3B6wbPE5Jv4 TZWTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wegoplaces.com%252F user%252520interface%252FImages%252FItinerary%2525 20Item%252520Images%252FUSA%252FTN%252FChattanooga %252FBest4%252FUSA_TN_Chattanooga_4.jpg%3Bhttp%253 A%252F%252Fwww.wegoplaces.com%252Fchattanooga-tn-attractions%3B300%3B203

Yes I am aware Seattle has fabulous mountains even closer and Vancouver and Victoria in half a days drive is a huge plus as well though I think Savannah and Charleston in many ways compete well with Victoria as a destination.

Personally, I like the type of economy Seattle has since I'm a manufacturing techie type and Seattle is a place that embraces both aerospace and other heavier type manufacturing as well as computer, software and networking. A lot of educated white collar people in Georgia have this attitude that heavy manufacturing is a bad thing.

Things that put me off for Seattle are the weather, it's relative isolation (too far from many of my favorite cities and places) It's distance from good beaches and fishing (I'm not fond of West Coast beaches and fishing. Guess I'm spoiled having grown up close to the Gulf). And as an AA the culture in Seattle is very lacking to me. I think that last point would be the biggest draw back of all to me coming from Atlanta where AA's in many ways excel more than in the rest of America.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 PM

555 posts, read 803,005 times
Gatzby:

"Save the deceits for the church altar."

Another specimen of Seattle 'tolerance'.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 PM

555 posts, read 803,005 times
Miami3:

"The State of Georgia can't even fix its own capitol's sewer system."

Which is mild compared to the stupidity that runs this city and state. Colorado and Washington legalized marijuana the same time: Colorado is entering into its 8th fiscal quarter of record state revenues, and Washington's is almost bankrupt because nobody thought of planting stock for the stores. It's taken 20 years to built a small light rail line from the airport to downtown at the cost of billions of dollars, and now bus lines are being cut to take up the slack. A plan to build a tunnel on Alaskan Way is at an indefinite standstill because nobody bothered to do core samples and their billion-dollar drill got stuck in quicksand and can't be extracted. And it's undermined the safety of the existing Viaduct at the same time.

And Atlanta doesn't have Communists on the City Council, either.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
I've been to both, and would definitely choose Seattle. I don't like how expensive it is, but would still choose to live there.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Those beaches are pretty...but you mustn't have been to Hawaii. It's far superior, lol.
No I haven't been but I'm sure they are great. I was thinking continental United States when I said the Gulf had the best.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
Was that intended for me?

I guess if you have nothing to say on the subject, just call somebody names.... real nice of ya.
I Lived in Midtown Atlanta for four years, I live in Lake City neighborhood of Seattle now.
I'm pretty sure I know about both cities well enough that I can give an honest account.
Tell me how many times you have lived in Seattle.
I'll wait.
The Chattahoochee also originates in the mountains.
My husband is a native of Seattle. His brother lives in Lake Forest Park. My youngest daughter lives in Edmonds. I'm in and out of there all the time. We plan to retire to Vashon Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City