Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Did I need to specify that I meant "rivers that go near Mt. Rainier"? The Duwamish is a different system.

Sandy sediment sounds like ash.
I didn't catch that you meant rivers from Mt. Rainier coming near Seattle.

No, the sandy sediment was definitely from a lahar that flooded the Duwamish system. IIRC, this discovery came out... late 90s, early 00s. The article was saying ultimately we really don't know what could happen, but this discovery showed that it could hit closer to home than originally thought.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Then my first guess is the river flows were different back then. The lower portions of the Puyallup River system (goes to Tacoma) and the Duwamish system get to within a mile of each other in a valley lowland area near Auburn. Rivers shift over the eons.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
The Tsumanis will not be affecting Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, or Victoria. However, the earthquake will. Strong chance of extensive to permanent damage on infrastructure underground like pipelines, tunnels, or other infrastructure. Basically anything with glass will see damage as pent-up megathrusts are generally 9.0 magnitude or higher and can break those easily.

The loss of life in the urban centers would be in the high hundreds, fortunately not thousands. However along the Pacific Coast it could be in the thousands. Structural damage would be more extensive than the loss of lives, however. The tremors, spiked by S-Waves from the rupture would go on for 5-8 minutes and will knock down weakly built structures. Landslides and mudslides possible in areas right along mountainsides.

Had a longer post on this but I deleted it only to summarizing it up in a more condensed synopsis.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The Tsumanis will not be affecting Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, or Victoria. However, the earthquake will. Strong chance of extensive to permanent damage on infrastructure underground like pipelines, tunnels, or other infrastructure. Basically anything with glass will see damage as pent-up megathrusts are generally 9.0 magnitude or higher and can break those easily.

The loss of life in the urban centers would be in the high hundreds, fortunately not thousands. However along the Pacific Coast it could be in the thousands. Structural damage would be more extensive than the loss of lives, however. The tremors, spiked by S-Waves from the rupture would go on for 5-8 minutes and will knock down weakly built structures. Landslides and mudslides possible in areas right along mountainsides.

Had a longer post on this but I deleted it only to summarizing it up in a more condensed synopsis.
Some of that is true. The loss of life estimate matches common thought.

Tunnels will typically do way better than bridges, except where there's a sharp fault line. They're built with some flex, and that's what they do. In LA, SF, Kyoto, etc., viaducts fall down but tunnels tend to be largely undamaged. Same with Seattle's tunnels...we had the century-old Downtown heavy rail tunnel, the I-90 tunnel, the shorter SR 99 highway tunnel, the airport rail tunnels, and others do fine during the 2001 earthquake, and of course all the new ones (Downtown Transit Tunnel, light rail extensions, replacement SR 99 tunnel, etc.) are also built with earthquakes in mind.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Then my first guess is the river flows were different back then. The lower portions of the Puyallup River system (goes to Tacoma) and the Duwamish system get to within a mile of each other in a valley lowland area near Auburn. Rivers shift over the eons.
"Before 1906, the White River joined the Green River near Auburn, and the combined river (under the name "White") joined the Black River at Tukwila, forming the Duwamish River, which emptied into Elliott Bay at Seattle. In 1906, a great flood coupled with a large log and debris jam diverted the White River southward into the Stuck River thence into the Puyallup River, which empties into Commencement Bay at Tacoma. The debris dam was replaced with a permanent diversion wall. Thus the White River remains a tributary of the Puyallup River today."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_..._modifications

Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 PM

Good information!

Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
It's not so much the rivers and its flow that are the issue, but the valleys.

This is the article that I was referring to: Seattle News and Events | The Super Flood

In the article, it's not even as optimistic as you're being about Mt. Rainier's effects on Seattle. It's definitely going to be bigger than some "serious cleaning" of wiping the ashes off the windows and everything.

Atlanta is sitting pretty in regards to natural disasters. The only things that I can think of are flooding (which the Seattle area could get), severe thunderstorms (extremely rare in Seattle) and tornadoes (also extremely rare in the Seattle area, though one hitting by Puyallup was very surprising). Those are much easier to basically dust off. Not so much with earthquakes and the eruption of Mt. Rainier. Seattle has the "Seattle Process" to deal with, I mean 10 years to decide what to do with the Viaduct?

Old 10-15-2017, 03:46 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times
Seattle all day and on Sunday

Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,612 times
Atlanta, everyday, AND twice on Sunday!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 PM

90 posts, read 155,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Seattle all day and on Sunday
Yeah, Seattle sucks.... Denver or Boise might be on the same level with this dead zone of box stores and ludicrous cost of living. ATL or almost anywhere for this economic migrant to the lifeless corpse of the PNW, Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City